scared of spiders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
or snakes? i dont know, im not as scared of snakes as i used to be, but now spiders are just evil.

what about rats? anyone scared of hair? that is a phobia you know, im not kidding, especially pubic hair.

what are you scared of?

me. rats, big ones, and spiders of any kind.

------------------
-death bear

spidereekA.gif

------------------
Midnight Is Where The Day Begins

Sicy's Website

...i am not afraid, of anything in this world...except

SNAKES

I am scared to death of them, I have nightmares of those serpents.

Incidentally, when I was in the army, I let my buddy's tarantuala crawl all the way up from my hand to my neck.

Spiders and snakes terrify me.

I was in a pet store one day, and a girl was holding a taruntula...she suddenly got freaked out, screamed, and kind of threw/dropped him, and he fell on my foot...I thought I was gonna have a heart attack.

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

Some radicals here are in a big huff about some endangered, rabies-infected species of swamp rat that keeps attacking chickens and pets; I may do a Free Your Mind thread about it.

~U2Alabama

I love snakes. I was torn between art and wanting to study reptiles and amphibians for most of my life, and snakes are my favorite. The fear of snakes is a natural one that does not have to be learned (from what I've read), but I think one of the reasons I'm not afraid of them is because I encountered a few when I was very young on my own terms, with no adults around to freak out about it. It was mysterious and beautiful. I told my mom I had found a snake in the backyard and they captured it and were very concerned. I didn't know what all the fuss was about. My parents didn't know anything about it, if it was dangerous or not.

I was a nature boy growing up always looking for interesting animals in the back and front yard, at my half-sister's softball games, at my brother's swim meets. We had many animal books and I learned all about nature by reading them and from my own observations. I think that if people get to know spiders and snakes a bit better, they lose some of the fear they have while keeping a healthy respect for them.

Having said that, I do freak out a bit if I feel something crawling on me at night.

I also just want to mention that I saw a show on the Discovery channel not too long ago called "Spiders, the Ultimate Guide" which was pretty amazing. They showed a spider that actually spits its web at prey insects, kind of like spiderman. There was another that doesn't spin a web but makes a single strand with a glob of sticky liquid silk at the end. It then swings this around and tries to hit passing winged insects.

---------------------
"Beginning with fossorial ancestors, snakes have undergone one of the more impressive adaptive radiations in vertebrate evolutionary history. The success of the radiation can be measured by the number of species and their collective persistence in virtually every part of the biosphere except for the deeper oceans and polar regions."

from "Snakes, Ecology and Behavior"

not afraid of spiders or snakes or any insects, but insects really bug me. bzzzz-ing around my head etc. esp at night when there is a mosquito in my room. but i cant say im afraid of any animal in particular, will prob say diff when im face to face with a hungry gator.

growing up in those lovely Sulawesian jungles, I encountered creepy crawlies of all sorts on a daily basis. I don't especially like them, but I'm bigger than they are, so no need to fear.
biggrin.gif
Of course, the time I found a roach crawling around beneath my pillow...I wasn't toooo happy. lol.

-sula

p.s. we used to catch big ol' pythons at my boarding school...the 10 foot variety. They make good dinner.
biggrin.gif

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

in general, i can't stand insects (except flies) flying around me. i am terrified that they might sting me!
BUGS-they are just gross! would probably freak out if some bug (you know, worms, caterpillars etc...) was to climb up my leg...

dunno about snakes-it's ok if i see them on TV, but i don't know what would happen if i was to see one in my room.

as for spiders-i am not afraid of them. as long as it's a small spider...

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 08-11-2001).]

Yuck! I intensely dislike all creepy crawlies, perhaps not a phobia, but pretty close. I've had some bad experiences with bugs. For instance, one time I went out to my car at night to get something and on the way back to the house I felt a pop and squish under my foot. It was a gigantic palmetto bug (similiar to a large roach only it can fly)and its guts squished between my toes. uh! really gross I know! I almost threw up.

Another time, on my first canoe trip, we ran the canoe onto the side of the river and knocked into some branches that were boughed down low. When we hit the branches at least a 100 tiny spiders rained down from the tree and fell in my hair and were crawling all over me. I think you could hear my screams for miles. Sooooo now you know why I hate bugs so much, and these are only a couple of examples. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been minding my own business when all of a sudden I feel something crawling on me. It's as though they know I hate them so they come swarming at me. It's weird. I don't know what I would've done if I were that lady on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when she was in that secret passage-way and all those disgusting bugs started crawling all over her. I probably would have passed out.

I can't stand spiders and most of the large insects, except bees, butterflies & dragonflies.

I'm also afraid of dogs, especially those little furry yappers who look like they'll bite into my ankle any minute.

After seeing a bat hanging from the outside of my apt near the door today, i realized that I'm scared of bats.

Not so much scared, but more disgusted by i suppose.

I get all spastic around spiders... one night me and my cousin were playing Tony Hawk 2 for Dreamcast... and we saw a little white spider on his controller. After looking up, we realized there were about 50 of the little buggers, if not more, crawling out from my ceiling fan. 50+ spiders on your ceiling is very, very, creepy!

Black Widows scare the bejeebus out of me, and have ever since I saw a reality show a few years ago that drove home the point that these mofos can do evil-ass things to you.

Temporary paralysis, death, etc.

And you don't have to be an old person or an infant to be suffer from their poison.

------------------
-pub

Originally posted by pub crawler:
these mofos can do evil-ass things to you.

I know this is a serious thread, but that cracked me up for whatever reason. I hate black widows, I run like a pansy when I see them. I've only seen 2 in my life, one on the carport of my old house. Eww....

Originally posted by Cathy:
Yuck! I intensely dislike all creepy crawlies....... I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been minding my own business when all of a sudden I feel something crawling on me.

The nerve of those bugs. How dare they!! Showing absolutely no respect for your personal space!!!

LOL! your whole post really cracked me up. Maybe you can invest in some sort of space-age suit or some boy-in-the-plastic bubble apparatus to keep you from ever being assaulted like this again.
biggrin.gif

I hate(erm...afraid of...) every insect in the city area. I don't have any problem with them when I'm in the country side, but they're just not suitable for appearing in my room!!! Can't they make a bit of noise before they drop in front of(or ON) me??

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 08-11-2001).]

thats good to know you dont : ^&(#%^

fitter happier more productive

sunday supermarket?

------------------
-death bear

I don't deal very well around spiders, but my worst bug experience happened when I was like 12, my friends' dad brought home a "high quality" whole smoked salmon, he broke it open and we dug in with our folks, I swear after we had all taken a mouthful of scrumptious salmon we were like "mmmmmmmm" and look down to see hundreds of little maggets all over the inside of the salmon, they were kinda jumping out . EWWWWW.
It was really a bad experience and smoked salmon is still NOT the same even today.

ah 1 more day till they take me on board their beautiful ship, and show me the world as I'd love to see it...

of course i must sit through 6 other bands first

Back
Top Bottom