Saw 'Ned Kelly' the other day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
That's right people... saw it last week and it made me feel very nice and warm inside-not many Aussie 'hero' kinda movies that lie in our history. Who knows what Ned was really like, but this version of the story really portrays him as a real hero, much in the Robin Hood way- stealing from the rich, giving to the poor.. I remember doing a stint on Ned in an Aussie history subject that I did at uni and this movie follows along the lines of what I learnt there- that he wasnt a big bad bushranger but was treated very badly by the cops due to being Irish, first and foremost.

But I tell ya the one thing that this movie made me think about afterwards and given that the last film that I saw was 'Gangs of New York', was how badly in history the Irish have been treated- sad I think. Society always needs someone to look down upon and it seems that in the past the Irish filled this position quite a bit..

Anyway good movie- Heath is cool as Ned, Orlando is stunning (I still want to have his children!!) and it is nice to see a bit of Australian folklore and history on the big screen.

Last edited:
I saw Ned Kelly the first weekend it was out with my husband and we both thought it was really good, although very dark and grim at times - the scene with the dead horse in particular. I came out hating what the English have done to the Irish over the centuries, yet again! This has happened before with movies like "In the Name of the Father". There is some Irish in me, so that could explain it. Not long after 1066 the Normans sent an army into Ireland and so it has continued.
Anyway I shall not go on - it was a great movie, and I had a lot of sympathy for Ned.

Pamela

Last edited:
I dont think there's any Australian to this day who doesn't feel a bit of sympathy for him, and view him in a hero kind of way. Its funny, mum and I had an 'argument' about this the other day, she made some comment about how wonderful he was and I laughed and said "It's easy to forget he was a criminal, isn't it?" She just looked at me and said "Oh Anna, how can you say that after how he was mistreated?" "I'm not saying he wasn't! But he was still a criminal!" It was quite funny. Poor Ned had a rough time of it.
Out of interest, has anyone read the book Sister Kate by Jean Bedford? Its written from the perspective of Ned's sister - Kate, and its quite interesting. The author did extensive research to ensure it was accurate. We had to read it in year 12.
I cant wait to see the movie, I might even drag mum along and try and convince her that Heath Ledger can do just as good a job of the role as Mick Jagger did, back in whenever it was lol.

I want to see this movie too.

I didn't see the older version but I wince when I think of Mick Jagger playing the lead role. He may be a great performer but he is a bad actor.

stunning eh?as you would expect from our boy Bloom

Hi Aurora, I didn't get along to Gangs of New York( as Kenny Everret would say"piston broke" but in my case just the latter) so with any luck( maybe not irish luck) I'll see Ned Kelly..one day.

One of hub's fave Tv shows is "The Movie Show" on SBS.
WHY? I ask myself ,he never goes to the movies.:huh:
Anyway a couple of weeks ago they were previewing Ned Kelly( I wanna punch that Magaret Pomeranz sometimes...mainly 'cause I'm jealous of her job.... and some of her comments)
It wasn't until then I caught a glimpse of that Bloom fellow:ohmy: :love: :drool: :applaud: I didn't know what he'd been doing since Legolas.
The story of Ned Kelly and his family:( :( :( It should be remembered.

Did you see Michael Franti being interviewed by Andrew Denton last night? he quoted MLK,
peace is not absence of war , it is the presence of justice.
You were a wise woman to buy a Bluesfest ticket. Have a great time:):wave:

Cal, he actually did an outstanding job as Ned. Ok, maybe not outstanding, but he did do it very well. Completely un rockstar of him. I think the storyline helps though.

another bit of Aussie ingenuity...we hope.
if you did see Michael Franti last night, you may have also seen Dr Roger/Richard ?.......?( I can't recall his name) with the lemons. It was wonderful. If I can find some info, I may post about.
Lemons vs AIDS.
let's hope so.

Aurora, if you come back
Eric Sardinas? ddi you notice him at the Blues Festival. he is the one my friend who went along is raving about. A Texan guitarist who she compares to Johnny Winter.
I hope you had a nice time :)

music.....and musicians

I didn't go to see Ned Kelly. I usually end up waiting for the video.....except for The Adventures of Legolas...I mean LOTR:)
:wave:
look I'm in a mood.
I don't have any new Orlando pics, but I have been looking around the silverchair website. Can't resist posting this.:)

Attachments

• danielfrogstomp2.jpg
    danielfrogstomp2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 6
one more...a rainy day in Coffs harbour

I thought of you when I took this from the car window:)

Attachments

• april26-03004.jpg
    april26-03004.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom