saw collateral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
I saw the movie Collateral.. here is the review

Storyline taken from mybc.com:
A cab driver finds himself the hostage of an engaging contract killer as he makes his rounds from hit to hit during one night in LA. He must find a way to save both himself and one last victim.

Script:
With Michael Mann involved in the movie, I knew off the bat the movie was going to be well written before stepping into the theater. My instincts were 100% right. The dialog was the best dialog I've heard in months. There was humor tastefully added to the script, written in a way that didn't break the intensity of the film.

Acting
It was not Cruise's best work but his acting in this movie did intrigue and surprise me. Cruise stays true to the character of Vincent, never winking or forcing a change of disposition on the role. Jamie Foxx wasn't bad either but the portrayal of his character could've been better. This has been a stretch for Jamie considering some of the rules he has been given in the past. Jamie has proved that with a little work, he can tackle some more dramatic roles and be phenomenal at it.

Hair/Make-Up/Costume:
At first I was very annoyed with Tom Cruise's peppered grey hair but it eventually grew on me 30 minutes into the movie. Tom Cruise in the movie is supposed to be in his 40's but the hair/make-up job didn't portray his character physically the way it should've. Even with the grey hair, Cruise looked 20-ish.

Cinematography :
Very good camera angles used. Good Dolly tracking and panning which played up the intensity of the movie.

My take on it was this...

Good direction: LA looked great. I love when buildings look shimmery in the nightime. I often get distracted at the lack of titles in the beginning (I don't need them -- I just keep waiting for them by default.)

Acting: Cruise was Cruise with grey hair and a sharp suit. Foxx was the heart of the movie, even if I felt that I wanted a little more from his character in the script.

Bottom line: The movie gets kind of boring and flat in parts. It's not a movie I would recommend unless you REALLY want to go to the movies and see something with familiar faces and places. It could have been much better, it could have been much worse. I wasn't WOW'd by any stretch, I just feel very "blah" about it.

I give it a solid C.

i enjoyed this movie... it was drawn out a bit in parts, but most mann films are. Heat is drawn out in parts, but it's still one of my favorite movies of all time.

the cinematography and sound/music was treeeemendous... i loved the use of audioslave's "shadow on the sun" (mann always uses good music... he used a passengers song in Heat :up: )

talking about it actually makes me wanna go see it again

...spoiler alert...
i went with my dad last week. i thought it was okay. i mean, i kinda figured that vincent would be going after what's-her-name in the end. eh, bah. i really like jamie foxx. he was excellent in a dramatic role. isn't he doing the ray charles movie that's coming out this fall? anyway, tom cruise was pretty good. i thought it was better than alot of his roles.

i have to agree with isabelle, the script was fantastic. i personally liked the bit about rwanda. it was thought provoking.

i give this movie a B-... for it being too obvious

well i do agree it was obvious that that was the case... seeing as jada pinket smith's a well known actress and she was only in the flick for about 10 minutes up to that point... :shrug: maybe if they had used a less known actress it wouldn't have been as obvious... but eh... i liked it none the less... B+

Back
Top Bottom