Save The Expos - Petition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holy John

Acrobat
The Expos will probably dissapear next year or the year after "because they don't give the MLB enough money". It is the Major Baseball who is sick, not the Expos. The players are earning too much money and little markets like Montreal can't have the big players (remember in '94, we probably would have won the Series, nah!!!... but since the lock out.............). If you don't know who the Expos are, just sign the petition and say you love them, that's it, that's all....

Selig, shut up...
http://www.petitiononline.com/expos/petition.html

I know it's not like the big Yankees with all their big US $$$, but over here we look for the sport, not for the cash...

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : <A HREF="http://www.unesco.org

?Je" TARGET=_blank>www.unesco.org

?Je</A> suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

The Twins are going to leave too. I must say, good riddance. Sorry about your Expos though, volunteer the Twins to take the Expos spot in the "We're sorry your team sucks a lot and isn't making any money because nobody wants to see a crappy AND whiny team play when they're just going to lose and whine about the fact that they need a new stadium to become winners but the stadium will cost $265 million and that will be out of your tax money even though you don't like thw Twins and we haven't won ANYTHING since Kirby Puckett was still playing" category.

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

I am Canadian, and sure Im patriotic and stuff... But lets face it, the Expos suck. They had one year, where they were kicking everyones ass, and then they got screwed over by the players strike or whatever when they were 1st in the National league, and had (in my opinion) a good chance to go all the way. After that, they stank. I mean, just logistically, its better if they go, instead of being an embarrassment to Canadian sport. Why pay to see a team lose, why pay for a team whos just going to end up going under within the next 5 years anyway. Theres no real sense in keeping them around. They cant cut it, it always happens with sports teams. The Nordiques, the Jets, the Minnesota North Stars, the Hartford Whalers... I would much rather see them go, then have to waste my time listening to the sob story coming out of montreal each year. I quite frankly couldnt care less. :/

On a note more following your earlier comments. I agree, professional sports are sick. Anyone who gets paid in excess of 4 million dollars a year to hit a little ball over a big fence, or shoot a black disc into a big net, thats just garbage. I dont know where people draw teh line, but they charge 50 or 60 dollars for a crappy seat, charge 50 for a tshirt, 100 for a jersey, and all sorts of crappy merchandaise, not to mention the whole televised thing with the beer ads and the sponsors and the money out the wazoo and such. I cant believe how easily people are suckered out of their money... This of course coming from a guy who spend $65 on a U2 GA for hamilton, and then the horrible prices for merchandise such as hats and shirts and such...

But nonetheless... Sports are Capitalism at its finest. Break the bank or be killed is basically how it goes, if you cant cut it, then youre done. It sucks. But thats life.

Twins should stay. At least they have some history. Plus the twins pull in some people to see their games. The expos pull in 3,000-4,000 a game. Come on!! They suck and they can't attract any fans.

------------------
Kennedy

Teams need to go, can't get past that. Expos orginization is the pits so good riddance.

~rougerum

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Anyone who gets paid in excess of 4 million dollars a year to hit a little ball over a big fence, or shoot a black disc into a big net, thats just garbage.

Didn't John Smoltz (Braves) just sign a $30 million, 3-year deal?

I'm a diehard Blue Jays fan and I used to be an Expos fan, when they were in their prime (with Steve Rogers, Gary Carter, Dawson, Raines etc.) And I can very much understand that Montreal fans gave up after the '94 strike, when the season ended prematurely with them in first place. Also the trend of letting the best players go.

But as much as I'm sorry to see the only other Canadian team (probably) disappear I'm of the viewpoint that it's probably for the best. I mean, 3,000 people in the stands on a regular basis is embarrasing.

As a sports fan, I don't want to see this happen either. But the Expos are a victim of lack of fan support as much as they are of the big market teams. True, you need to win to put asses in seats, but even in the good times, the Expos were terrible at the gate. This past year, they were out drawn by 3 or 4 minor league teams.

Increase revenue sharing all you care to, it won't help a team win. The NBA and the NFL both put salary caps on their teams in the past 10-15 years. But, the franchises that were successful before the cap are still the ones that are winning today. I wonder why???????

To say that ball players make too much money is unfounded. The owners (the ones who actually care about winning) will pay the market price for a player to remain competitive. Plus, however much A-Rod or Griffey Jr. get paid still pales in comparison with actors and other entertainers. No one bitches about the bank U2 rolls in. But then, that would be wrong wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom