Saturday Night Live - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:21 PM
I only watch it for the opening skit, Weekend Update and if there's anyone good performing.

But yeah, it has lost its creativity. I wish they could have Maya Rudolph play Donatella Versace again, that was always a highlight

Old 02-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:21 AM
I only started watching SNL last year but I've noticed the skits aren't as entertaining anymore. I started watching a tape of the OC after 10 min and when I went back to SNL I ended up falling asleep...

I really liked Jimmy Fallon but after he left everything has really gone down hill for me.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:39 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 11:21 AM
The rare times that I do watch, I only really watch for Weekend Update. And even that has been getting pretty weak.

I'm not a big fan of the cast lately either.

I'm a Tina Fey fan though, so if she leaves the show will probably crap out. (moreso)
Old 02-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 04:21 PM
SNl seems to go in coasters, good one season, crap the next
Old 02-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #20
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 08:21 AM
It's back on tonite, peeps!! First episode after the end of the writers strike and the show is being hosted by TINA FEY!!!!!! They should have TONS of new material too so don't miss it tonite if you are a SNL fan!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

SNL hasn't been good IMO since the 80s....Miss the old, old casts..
Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
It's back on tonite, peeps!! First episode after the end of the writers strike and the show is being hosted by TINA FEY!!!!!! They should have TONS of new material too so don't miss it tonite if you are a SNL fan!!!

(That was for Tina Fey, not for the show.)

I have a theory about the suckiness of SNL. It seems that there is too rapid of a cast turnover, these days. Every time an era's cast seems to finally start to gel and the show gets good, people leave and are replaced by new people, and the show starts to suck again. I've watched this cycle repeat since the late '70's.

Like someone said earlier, I only tune in these days if there's a good host or musical guest I want to see, but the few times I have tuned in in recent years, I've noticed that the cast is HUGE. I think this does a disservice to the show, as sketch characters are spread out amongst way too many people, so it's less likely that individuals will develop comedically, and get a chance to shine. :theory:
Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:21 AM
I think Carrie Underwood is the musical guest. I'll probably tune in for Tina
Old 02-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #24
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I love Tina Fey!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #25
Refugee

I'll be tuning in tonight. Only because Tina Fey is hosting. I haven't watched a full episode since she left.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

There are only two SNL casts that are worth watching:

1.The original cast in the 70s, with Chevy Chase(for a year), Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, etc.

2.The cast of the late 80s and early 90s that basically had an entire generation's worth of brilliant comics in one cast: Chris Farley, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Kevin Nealon, etc.

Both of these casts were fucking mind-numbingly brilliant.

There are other periods here and there - Eddy Murphy in th early 80s, Will Ferrall/Norm McDonald/Chris Kattan/Cheri Oteri/Molly Shannon/Ana Gastayer in the late 90s - that put out some good stuff from time to time, but only the previously mentioned two casts put out truly great material on a consistant basis.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

The 80's cast that had just Carvey, Hooks, Hartman, Lovitz, Nealon, Jackson, Dunn and Dennis Miller was phenomenal. Eventually Myers became a featured player and blended in nicely. This was a group that wrote well, and all had great improv backgrounds, and it showed. So, yeah, they were worth watching long before Sandler or Farley arrived as the show transitioned away from strong improv actors and into stand-up comedians.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
The 80's cast that had just Carvey, Hooks, Hartman, Lovitz, Nealon, Jackson, Dunn and Dennis Miller was phenomenal. Eventually Myers became a featured player and blended in nicely. This was a group that wrote well, and all had great improv backgrounds, and it showed. So, yeah, they were worth watching long before Sandler or Farley arrived as the show transitioned away from strong improv actors and into stand-up comedians.
Are you calling Farley a stand-up comedian? 'Cause he wasn't. His specialty was physical comedy.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Are you calling Farley a stand-up comedian? 'Cause he wasn't. His specialty was physical comedy.
I know about Farley, thanks. He trained here in Chicago and had an improv background, he was discovered by Michaels while a part of Second City.

But Sandler, McDonald, Rob Schneider, Chris Rock etc, all came from stand-up.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #30
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
I loved that cast, but my other favorite cast that's never mentioned (from the '84-'85 season):

Martin Short, Harry Shearer, Christopher Guest, Billy Crystal, Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Two of the best skits ever came from that group: Jackie Roger's 100,000 Jackpot Wad and the Synchronized Swimming bit. Oh man.

I love SNL.