Satisfaction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
An outfit by the name of Catpower (I think they're from the UK, could be wrong) have a marvellous version of the above Stones song which in my opinion is better than the original.

Slowed right down, it no longer sounds like a boast: it sounds like a plea.

Which provokes the obvious question - how many covers are really any good? Most seem to be either carbon copies of the original, or just travesties.

I haven't heard the version you mentioned...and doubt the original can be outdone in this case, that being said, a good cover is one that puts its own stamp on a song.
Good example: Van Halen's cover of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me"...gave the song a whole new level and a new audience.

Bad example: Fear Factory's cover of Gary Numan's "Cars", for which they enlisted Gary Numan to sing, and sounded exactly the same, and to me seemed only a money making attempt and nothing else.

Oh I almost forgot, Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah. I've never heard Leonard Cohen's original, but find it hard to believe it isn't better (than the original).

Good Covers: Travis: "Baby one more time" (this id not hard...) and "All the young dudes" (much more rousing than the original by David Bowie), Oasis: "Cum on feel the noize"

Bad Cover: Has anyone of you heard this certain song by the Lighthouse Family? At the end of it, there are some verses of "One" by our most beloved U2. It is pure crap! They try to force the song into a kind of soul! I was shocked when I first heard it.

Bad Cover: Has anyone of you heard this certain song by the Lighthouse Family? At the end of it, there are some verses of "One" by our most beloved U2. It is pure crap! They try to force the song into a kind of soul! I was shocked when I first heard it. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've heard them once or twice, but not that track. Is this 'soul' of the bland, slick variety? If so, I could imagine...

Didn't the C&C Music Factory do Pride years ago? That was pretty ordinary too.

well, I don't like that many covers
Jimi Hendrix, being the incredible guitarist he was, added something to songs like "All along the Watchtower" and "Gloria"
and I like the covers R.E.M. does, just because they make everything sound like they wrote it themselves

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

There are some U2 covers that make me cringe.

I cant listen to any U2 covers. I hate them all.

Originally posted by Sicy:
There are some U2 covers that make me cringe.

I cant listen to any U2 covers. I hate them all.
What about Everlasting Love?!

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

"If I knew who I was I wouldn't be an artist, I wouldn't be in a band, I wouldn't be here screaming for a living." ~Bono~

"The moment an artist loses his personality and magnetism, the moment his secret leaks out, the curtain comes down on his prosperity" ~Houdini~

Oh.. I meant other people covering U2.
O never mind!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

"If I knew who I was I wouldn't be an artist, I wouldn't be in a band, I wouldn't be here screaming for a living." ~Bono~

"The moment an artist loses his personality and magnetism, the moment his secret leaks out, the curtain comes down on his prosperity" ~Houdini~

Oh.. I meant other people covering U2.

When it comes to the opposite - U2 covering other people, I still love their version of Unchained Melody. I know it's a bit 80's and a bit unfashionable, but the vocals Bono lends to that version make it work for me. Especially the ache in his voice around the 'time goes by... so slowly...' part.

What I do not like - this is not strictly relevant - is the whole busking routine they have picked up somewhere along the way. Insisting on playing songs like Stay, Angel of Harlem and Ground Beneath her Feet live as acoustic ditties really is a travesty IMO, when every one of these tracks would be a knockout in full band mode.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
When it comes to the opposite - U2 covering other people, I still love their version of Unchained Melody. I know it's a bit 80's and a bit unfashionable, but the vocals Bono lends to that version make it work for me. Especially the ache in his voice around the 'time goes by... so slowly...' part.
*swwooooon*

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

Oh, I love every song U2 has covered.. its the people covering U2 that make me cringe.

When it comes to the opposite - U2 covering other people, I still love their version of Unchained Melody. I know it's a bit 80's and a bit unfashionable, but the vocals Bono lends to that version make it work for me.
mmm, to me Bono's voice is the only good part in that cover
well, maybe some of the guitar parts, but overall I don't think that song doesn't really work well

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
When it comes to the opposite - U2 covering other people, I still love their version of Unchained Melody. I know it's a bit 80's and a bit unfashionable, but the vocals Bono lends to that version make it work for me.
mmm, to me Bono's voice is the only good part in that cover
well, maybe some of the guitar parts, but overall I don't think that song doesn't really work well

Yes, the production is a bit hokey, a bit Hollywood - but the guitar and vocals make it. That chilly drum sound could have been pretty much any old production crew, however.

Here's another unpopular one - I love the Million Dollar Hotel version of Satellite of Love - Milla Jovovich yelps and all. The sexy remix version with Bono scat-singing is even better. The fact that neither bear the slightest resemblence to Lou Reed's version is half the pleasure (though I also like the original a lot).

What I do not like - this is not strictly relevant - is the whole busking routine they have picked up somewhere along the way. Insisting on playing songs like Stay, Angel of Harlem and Ground Beneath her Feet live as acoustic ditties really is a travesty IMO, when every one of these tracks would be a knockout in full band mode.

Thank you! I feel the same way. Especially about TGBHF. I'm just waiting for the band to give us a full-band, kick-ass original version of that song, because it rocks!!!

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe and U2 Concert Pics

Back
Top Bottom