Santa Barbara cops say Jackson lied about abuse, and they have proof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeloo

War Child
Santa Barbara sheriff says officers never manhandled Michael Jackson, probe launched

JEFF WILSON, Associated Press Writer Wednesday, December 31, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(12-31) 23:54 PST SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) --

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department has denied manhandling Michael Jackson during his arrest and asked prosecutors to investigate the pop star's complaint, threatening to charge Jackson if the accusation is deemed false.

Attorney General Bill Lockyer said Wednesday he would investigate the matter, the same day Sheriff Jim Anderson asked for a probe and defended his deputies' actions during Jackson's Nov. 20 arrest.

"He was in no way manhandled or abused," Anderson said, adding he would seek to have Jackson charged with filing a false police report if the entertainer's allegations aren't substantiated.

Anderson also released audio and videotapes indicating Jackson was treated respectfully by deputies. One video showed Jackson shaking hands with the officers who met him at Santa Barbara Airport when he arrived from Las Vegas on Nov. 20.

The deputies then handcuffed Jackson and put him in a car for a trip to the county jail, where he was booked for investigation of child molestation. He has declared his innocence.

In an audio recording from the car, Jackson could be heard complaining that the handcuffs hurt. An officer advised him to "scoot forward a little bit," and later asked him, "Is that OK for you, Mr. Jackson?"

"It's wonderful, thank you. Thank you very much," Jackson replies.

Jackson's parents expressed skepticism about the tapes in a statement issued Wednesday night.

"The tapes do not address any of the allegations that Michael made but only paint a portrait of what the sheriff's men did when the cameras were on them, not what they did when no one was looking," Joseph and Katherine Jackson said. "We look forward to a further investigation when all the facts come out in due course."

In a "60 Minutes" interview broadcast Sunday on CBS, Jackson said he was manhandled while in custody and locked in a feces-smeared restroom for 45 minutes after he asked to use the facilities. He showed what he said was a bruise on his right arm and said his shoulder was dislocated.

Anderson said Jackson was not put in a restroom, but a cell designed to hold seven prisoners and equipped with a toilet. He said it had been cleaned just before Jackson arrived and the singer was there for 15 to 20 minutes.

"At no time during this process did Mr. Jackson complain of any injury incurred during the course of the arrest or mistreatment by jail staff," the sheriff said.

TV news cameras also recorded Jackson waving with both arms to fans as he left the jail. "I think Mr. Jackson has seriously hurt his credibility," Anderson said.

Jackson attorney Mark Geragos said his client "absolutely" stands by his allegations.

"We not only welcome an investigation by the attorney general of California, but will ask that the entire case from the inception be investigated by that office," he said.

One legal expert praised the attorney general's decision to investigate.

"It's the only way to clear up what happened and I'm not sure they can ever really clear up what happened. They don't have the entire time on videotape," said Loyola University law professor Laurie Levenson.

She also questioned whether Jackson could be charged with making a false report even if his accusations aren't substantiated.

"I think it's a stretch to say that his verbal complaints in an interview are the same as a formally filed complaint that would expose him to criminal liability," said Levenson, a former federal prosecutor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AP Special Correspondent Linda Deutsch in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

MJ needs to be in some kind of psychiatric program. Not jail. But not free either.

So don't lynch me but it's kind of sad a guy who spend many years and many dollars trying NOT to be black is now using it as a crutch. Just as someone shouldn't be persecuted for their ethnicity they shouldn't be assumed an innocent victim because of it either. I only want justice done. We'll see.

Seabird said:
MJ needs to be in some kind of psychiatric program. Not jail. But not free either.

So don't lynch me but it's kind of sad a guy who spend many years and many dollars trying NOT to be black is now using it as a crutch. Just as someone shouldn't be persecuted for their ethnicity they shouldn't be assumed an innocent victim because of it either. I only want justice done. We'll see.

Agreed.

It sucks, this whole thing will become a circus-who knows if we'll ever find out what really happened?

Angela

:shrug:

I guess we'll never know if they don't have it on tape...on CNN's Larry King MJ's lawyer recently said they can prove it, and that this was not the only case that a person was mistreated by the police there.

His brother is trying to claim now that his arm hurt the next day and that's why he was able to hold them both up after leaving the police station. Bullcrap I say! While it is true that a sore muscle might not act up until the next day, a shoulder is either dislocated or it is not, like an arm is broke or it is not. It doesn't all of a sudden dislocate the next day because it hurt the day before. Give me a break. I wonder how long it will take before people stop believing this freak and put him away to protect him from kids and himself. The more people take up for him the more he's going to keep getting away with things if he is doing them and we can't rule out that he hasn't. I don't believe his lawyers either because they are only paid by him what do you expect?

Green Light 711 said:
His brother is trying to claim now that his arm hurt the next day and that's why he was able to hold them both up after leaving the police station. Bullcrap I say! While it is true that a sore muscle might not act up until the next day, a shoulder is either dislocated or it is not, like an arm is broke or it is not. It doesn't all of a sudden dislocate the next day because it hurt the day before.

Exactly. My sister once dislocated her elbow, and she couldn't move it at all that exact same morning. It didn't start hurting the next day.

Angela

I don't know.
He's weird for sure. Just plain stupid for sure. But the point that he has spent time around hundreds of kids, and before this only one other kid has said anything, and that that was obviously all about money, does say something to me. Surely if he was this raving pedophile doing all these terrible things more people would have come forward. But then if he's guilty I hope he has the book thrown at him.

I think the best thing for him would be to sell Neverland, buy a little farm somewhere in the middle of some really remote part of the world and just disappear. We have Justin Timberlake now, so we won't need Jacksons music, and otherwise I don't really want to hear anything else from him.

Back
Top Bottom