Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Oh, Maj., you're the Police fan of this thread. I was in the supermarket this evening and they subjected me to the sucktastic stylings of Maroon 5's She Will Be Loved. What drove me nuts besides the song itself was that part of it sounds like a Police ripoff, but I can't quite place which Police song it's plagiarising. Do you have any idea?

I'm not that huge a fan really, I need to get some money to buy their albums... Really, I want to be a huge fan, but can't afford to yet. Stupid cheap CD store in the city closed down.

But I'll give She Will Be Loved a listen and see.

Now that we're 100 posts off the next thread, does anybody have ideas for new locations? I've got a few, but I feel like I've suggested too many lately.

major_panic said:

I'm not that huge a fan really, I need to get some money to buy their albums... Really, I want to be a huge fan, but can't afford to yet. Stupid cheap CD store in the city closed down.

Woah, I have their entire discography and you don't? If you're cool with MP3/M4A, I can totally help you out. Outside of Regatta de Blanc, I'm not into much besides some select songs. I'm pretty sure the song She Will Be Loved rips off is a Police hit, though. I was only half-listening and heard this familiar melody and thought "hey, the Police! ... wait, that's not Sting, OH FOR THE LOVE OF ALL NON-EXISTENT GODS IT'S MAROON 5!"

Axver said:
Eek, yeah. Though if it makes you feel any better, I've spent more on Porcupine Tree in the last week than you've spent on U2 3D in the last month! :lol:

Has anybody actually e-mailed the Imax and asked for a definitive final showing date?
Let's see... including my own ticket, I spent $80 onthe midnight session that I couldn't get back... add another $40 for the saturday... $20 the next day... plus parking on the midnight ($7 or so?)... and the odd tram ticket.... plus the dinners on Lygon street... :yikes:

They won't tell you anything that's not already on the site... the schedule for the next week comes out each Monday. :madspit:

major_panic said:

:laugh: Got it!

The last part of the song sounds EXACTLY like Don't Stand So Close To Me, when the backing vocalist or whoever is singing "Please don't try so hard to stay" or some rubbish.

Also a lot of the song sounds like a Police song, but I can't place it yet.

major_panic said:

it's also my birthday today, don't tell anyone

What, really? Nice job not telling anyone or anything. I had no bloody idea. Then again, even if you had let me know, I have a tendency to forget birthdays. Including my own.

Also,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Axver said:
Also, am I the only person who thinks today's date is kinda cool? 02/05/08. I'm looking forward to 03/06/09 next year.
... What are you, a numerologist? :wink:

China's lucky that 8/8/08 is in the northern summer.

Axver said:

What, really? Nice job not telling anyone or anything. I had no bloody idea. Then again, even if you had let me know, I have a tendency to forget birthdays. Including my own.

Also,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks! I actually don't tell anyone, just to see who remembers and who bothers to find out. I don't think it's all that important anyway to be honest.

major_panic said:

:laugh: Got it!

The last part of the song sounds EXACTLY like Don't Stand So Close To Me, when the backing vocalist or whoever is singing "Please don't try so hard to stay" or some rubbish.

Also a lot of the song sounds like a Police song, but I can't place it yet.

:lol: :up: (to you; :down: to them and their crappy plagiarism)

Yeah, the parts leading up to that godawful chorus remind me of something, but I couldn't place it when I was at the shop and I'm not willing to listen to the song of my own free will ...

Axver said:

:lol: :up: (to you; :down: to them and their crappy plagiarism)

Yeah, the parts leading up to that godawful chorus remind me of something, but I couldn't place it when I was at the shop and I'm not willing to listen to the song of my own free will ...

I'm not going to listen to it again, I'm listening to Flower Child.

major_panic said:
:lol:! How very true. I'm still trying to figure out what Chinese food he can eat...
Does he have a problem with MSG? There should be things that don't have nuts/fish/whatever the other thing is.... :scratch:

Alisaura said:

... What are you, a numerologist? :wink:

03/06/09 shall bring great woe upon people who make false allegations about Axver.

:wink:

My favourite date ever was 02/02/2000. It was the first time all numbers in the date had been even since 08/08/888! I thought that was really neat.

Alisaura said:

Does he have a problem with MSG? There should be things that don't have nuts/fish/whatever the other thing is.... :scratch:

See, there should be, but lots of people use peanut oil these days too, which doesn't help at all.

I suppose most of the neutered tourist food is safe for Ax... Stuff like lemon chicken and sweet and sour pork.

major_panic said:

Thanks! I actually don't tell anyone, just to see who remembers and who bothers to find out. I don't think it's all that important anyway to be honest.

I normally remember January birthdays once told, because almost all of my closest friends plus myself have had January birthdays. Otherwise? I'm useless.

Ever since I was 14, I've had arrangements with most of my friends that we don't give each other presents, so birthdays have been very lowkey in my world and I don't find them that important either. My friend Sam's birthday is 14/01; mine is 17/01. I gave him $20 ... and got exactly the same note back from him three days later. That prompted the "no presents" arrangement.

Alisaura said:

Eggs is the other one.

Peanuts seem to be screwing me over the most.

Maj., you need to come from a culture that isn't trying to kill me with its food! :wink:

Axver said:
03/06/09 shall bring great woe upon people who make false allegations about Axver.

:wink:

My favourite date ever was 02/02/2000. It was the first time all numbers in the date had been even since 08/08/888! I thought that was really neat.
I made no allegations, I merely asked a question :wink:

*thinks*
Hey, that is pretty cool.

Alisaura said:

I'm listening to Rise Up in protest of its getting voted out of Survivor already.

Shame! :tsk:

I'm honestly baffled by that. Very few people actually posted that they were voting for Rise Up, and it's rare for a thread to be so unreflective of the poll. And not a single person posted WHY they were voting off Rise Up.

If you ask me, it has more of a case to be on JT than TTYW and - dare I say it - ISHFWILF.

major_panic said:
See, there should be, but lots of people use peanut oil these days too, which doesn't help at all.

I suppose most of the neutered tourist food is safe for Ax... Stuff like lemon chicken and sweet and sour pork.
Oh yeah. We've started using peanut oil at home, since we found out that olive oil really shouldn't be used for cooking :der:

Lemon chicken... :drool:

One of the food places at uni used to do something that they called lemon chicken... I'm fairly sure that neither lemon nor chicken were in any way involved in its production, but DAMN, whatever combination of chemicals and flavourings and batter they used hit all the right taste buds... :drool: There would be queues every Wednesday when they served it... :lol:

Axver said:

I'm honestly baffled by that. Very few people actually posted that they were voting for Rise Up, and it's rare for a thread to be so unreflective of the poll. And not a single person posted WHY they were voting off Rise Up.

If you ask me, it has more of a case to be on JT than TTYW and - dare I say it - ISHFWILF.

The more I listen to ISHFWILF, the more :yuck: I feel about it compared to, say, Luminous Times or Spanish Eyes.

Alisaura said:

Oh yeah. We've started using peanut oil at home, since we found out that olive oil really shouldn't be used for cooking :der:

Whatever's wrong with olive oil? Now, maybe my love of Italian cooking has left me biased, but you can use it for just about any purpose. :up:

Axver said:
Today, I'll pay that.

And I think it may have suffered a bit from not so many people having heard it, perhaps...? I dunno.

That bass... :love:
Is it a bad sign that I wondered if they had a guest bassist in for that? :reject:

Surprise me more often, U2.

major_panic said:

The more I listen to ISHFWILF, the more :yuck: I feel about it compared to, say, Luminous Times or Spanish Eyes.

YES. I've grown very tired of ISHFWILF. I feel like it doesn't reach any kind of pay-off, and the band had better material lying around that they could've put on the album.

Alisaura said:
And I think it may have suffered a bit from not so many people having heard it, perhaps...? I dunno.

I've no idea! Most of the JT bonus tracks seem to be suffering, really - and yet Love You Like Mad and Levitate are stll hanging around.

I know Andrew hates Rise Up. I can't understand why.

That bass... :love:
Is it a bad sign that I wondered if they had a guest bassist in for that? :reject:

Surprise me more often, U2.

:lol:

I keep wondering what they did with Adam after October ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom