Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
And I wouldn't call Led Zeppelin metal. Hard rock at most, simply rock if you ask me.

They pretty much invented heavy metal.

A lot of metal fans - myself included - don't consider them metal now, but it's an ongoing debate as to how a band could once be metal but isn't now.

I like how many metal/death metal bands are expanding to incorporate better textures, growls etc.

Stuff like grindcore now just completely bores me. A million bands that sound exactly alike.

Screwtape2 said:
Axver, I'm listening to parts of your DI playlist again. The transition from Our Illuminated Tomb to Untitled is probably my favorite of this edition of the game.

Awesome, thanks. That transition felt counter-intuitive, one that I wouldn't have initially thought of if I hadn't been attached to those songs and wanted to use them for thematic reasons. But I was surprised to hear it worked.

Axver said:

A lot of metal fans - myself included - don't consider them metal now, but it's an ongoing debate as to how a band could once be metal but isn't now.

Led Zeppelin are most definitely not heavy metal. They may have had a few songs where the heaviness of them inspired other bands to start the genre, but they were never part of it.

They get classified as classic rock, but they did so much more than that - blues, country, reggae, folk, etc. They really were all over the place, which is part of their appeal.

Axver said:

I think a lot of artists that were early stepping stones for genres don't sound anything like what those genres became. LZ was clearly the roots of metal just look at Immigrant song.

Led Zep are a band that I've never really gotten into. I've always found them to be, overrated.

But seeing as I like to keep an open mind to music these days, I should probably try them out sometime. More than just the two songs I've likely heard by them.

Rush, too, are another band I'd like to have a go at listening to.

And I demand to know which mod is closing my DI threads so quickly. You're not giving me a chance to cut and paste for the new ones! It takes forever putting bits and pieces back together...

:mad:

Axver said:

Bands along those lines tend to be classified under other metal subgenres.

Probably why I like those subgenres better. I'm not a fan of the growling, either. It's really not needed because some of the music is spectacular.

That's why I tend to like artists such as Jesu. Shoegazer-type vocals, but keeping the heavy sound. It works very well together.

Axver said:

Awesome, thanks. That transition felt counter-intuitive, one that I wouldn't have initially thought of if I hadn't been attached to those songs and wanted to use them for thematic reasons. But I was surprised to hear it worked.

Listening to it again, I think it is my favorite in this edition of the game maybe more than my own.

phanan said:
And I demand to know which mod is closing my DI threads so quickly. You're not giving me a chance to cut and paste for the new ones! It takes forever putting bits and pieces back together...

:mad:
me :reject:

it's just habit, but i can reopen them if you want.

Yeah, I never liked Led Zep either, but to ignore their huge influence on the invention of metal is ludicrous. Sure, bands like Black Sabbath proved more important, but Led Zep's role shouldn't be understated.

RavenBlue said:
I like metal, lately, that has growl alongside clean vocals as well. I like that contrast between the two.

Orphaned Land do that incredibly well. I know Opeth get all the publicity, but good God, Orphaned Land rules.

Incidentally, Steven Wilson should be producing the next Orphaned Land album. :up:

hey dr. dré, since you're the U2 setlist guru, i need your advice on something. i was organising my live stuff and i saw i have no uf stuff and only one october concert. do you have any suggestions as to what i should download?

KhanadaRhodes said:
hey dr. dré, since you're the U2 setlist guru, i need your advice on something. i was organising my live stuff and i saw i have no uf stuff and only one october concert. do you have any suggestions as to what i should download?

October:
- 4 November 1981, Berlin (my favourite gig from the era, best 11OTT ever)
- 13 December 1981, Lido Beach (first boot I ever owned)
- 17 March 1982, New York

UF
- 31 August 1984, Wellington (best Pride ever)
- 21 November 1984, Dortmund
- 21 March 1985, Chicago (one of the best gigs the band has ever played)

Axver said:
October:
- 4 November 1981, Berlin (my favourite gig from the era, best 11OTT ever)
- 13 December 1981, Lido Beach (first boot I ever owned)
- 17 March 1982, New York

UF
- 31 August 1984, Wellington (best Pride ever)
- 21 November 1984, Dortmund
- 21 March 1985, Chicago (one of the best gigs the band has ever played)

KhanadaRhodes said:

For UF stuff try:

Auckland September 2nd, 1984
Nantes, France October 23, 1984
Bologna, Italy February 6th, 1984

RavenBlue said:
Oh yes, I love Orphaned Land!

Ooh. Stephen Wilson. :up: I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for that.

Stevo's also apparently producing Anathema's next album, though I have very low expectations for that.

Axver said:

Yeah, and I wish progressive rock would get rid of the guitars. Honestly, it adds nothing. You could do it all on piano anyway.

Seriously, what's the point in getting rid of a key part of the aesthetic?

Axver has a good point....

progressive rock should get rid of guitars. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom