Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RavenBlue said:
Alot of growl vocals in Brave Murder Day, except for day.

I think my favourite song from that album is Inside the Fall.

Akerfeldt does a fucking awesome job on Brave Murder Day.

My edition is just the album, it doesn't have Inside The Fall. I have the Sounds Of Decay EP with it, though. Not sure if I've ever played it ...! Time to rectify that.

Axver said:

Yeah, and I wish progressive rock would get rid of the guitars. Honestly, it adds nothing. You could do it all on piano anyway.

Seriously, what's the point in getting rid of a key part of the aesthetic?

You need more instrumentation in death metal. Add another instrument instead of the cheesy death growls. The aesthetic as is is terrible.

Screwtape2 said:

You need more instrumentation in death metal. Add another instrument instead of the cheesy death growls. The aesthetic as is is terrible.

Somebody clearly hasn't listened to enough death metal. Add another instrument? What more do you want Sculptured to do?

At first, I couldn't stand the death growls. But after awhile, I learned to cope with them and really enjoy the songs for what they are

Dark Tranquility are an example of that. I also like them because I can almost make out what they're saying :giggle:

Signs the next Marillion album will suck:
1. It's a double album.
2. It's called Happiness Is The Road.
3. It has a song called She's Older Than Me.

Not that they've been very good since Fish left, but it's sad to see a once great neo-prog band disappear into bland nothingness.

omg big news ax! i've found something to spam the thread with
whee.gif

Axver said:

Somebody clearly hasn't listened to enough death metal. Add another instrument? What more do you want Sculptured to do?

I'm not saying death metal is bad. I just think the death growls don't add anything another instrument couldn't or even better do what Sculptured did on your playlist and use some sampling. I quite liked that song and it would have been better without the growls.

RavenBlue said:
At first, I couldn't stand the death growls. But after awhile, I learned to cope with them and really enjoy the songs for what they are

Dark Tranquility are an example of that. I also like them because I can almost make out what they're saying :giggle:

I don't even notice death growls any more. It's just another vocal styling and I don't see what the fuss is about. You might as well hate on falsetto or baritone or whatever.

If you ask me, the two best growlers are Mikael Akerfeldt and Dan Swanö. I can usually sing along because they are so comprehensible. Oh, and Orphaned Land's Kobi Farhi is extremely clear as well.

Screwtape2 said:

I'm not saying death metal is bad. I just think the death growls don't add anything another instrument couldn't or even better do what Sculptured did on your playlist and use some sampling. I quite liked that song and it would have been better without the growls.

You've already got two guitarists, a bassist, a keyboardist, and drums in most death metal bands. And then you have the likes of Sculptured throwing trumpets, cellos, and the kitchen sink at the genre. I think your "more instruments" point is simply uneducated.

Axver said:

You've already got two guitarists, a bassist, a keyboardist, and drums in most death metal bands. And then you have the likes of Sculptured throwing trumpets, cellos, and the kitchen sink at the genre. I think your "more instruments" point is simply uneducated.

I'm talking more soundscapes by adding an instrument or nothing at all in the place of death growls. If I ever produce a death metal band I would show you what I mean.

If you ever produced a death metal band, it wouldn't be fucking death metal if you took out the growls!

unico said:
give up? k!
i'm going to nyc for 4 days. throughout our stay we're gonna see how many statues and sculptures we can find and take pictures of/with them.

Ooh, cool. I like to photograph the ones I find around Melbourne.

Screwtape2 said:

What about an instrumental death metal band?

Bands along those lines tend to be classified under other metal subgenres.

Axver said:

If you liked FOABP? None. Anesthetize's middle section is about as heavy as it gets.

Other notably heavy tracks: Wedding Nails (In Absentia), Orchidia, and Futile (both on the Futile EP).

I've only listened to Stupid Dream.

phillyfan26 said:

I've only listened to Stupid Dream.

Well, give In Absentia or FOABP a try. What metal influence is there pretty much is applied to a rock context or has more to do with atmosphere as opposed to sound. I would only classify about five or six PT tracks as metal, and they're scattered across a number of albums.

And aren't you participating in the Led Zep Survivor? They're metal ...

Axver said:

Well, give In Absentia or FOABP a try. What metal influence is there pretty much is applied to a rock context or has more to do with atmosphere as opposed to sound. I would only classify about five or six PT tracks as metal, and they're scattered across a number of albums.

And aren't you participating in the Led Zep Survivor? They're metal ...

No. I'm a mild fan of LZ. Haven't heard anything past their hits.

And I wouldn't call Led Zeppelin metal. Hard rock at most, simply rock if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom