Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #331
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Hang on I think I accidentally posted a picture of a female secretary that works at Optus.
pfffft

Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #332
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Oh, if you could upload it that'd be awesome. I need something good to listen to and analyse tonight.

Loveless took ages to grow on me. For a long time the only songs I really liked were Sometimes and When You Sleep. Then I started liking I Only Said and Soon... and Only Shallow, and then the rest of the album opened up. I think it's a very complete album, in fact I think it's more of a single song than 11 tracks. I treat it very differently to Nowhere, and like both of them sort of equally, but in different ways. Mainly, I just love that those sounds could come out of a guitar! Shoegaze in all of its forms was so important in the early 90s - whereas most other rock groups were doing the same old shit in that time, rehashing the 70s and late 60s mainly, the shoegazer movement was incredibly fresh in comparison.

Of course, now a lot of bands today are rehashing shoegaze sounds from that period. The circle of life lives on!

Do you like Catherine Wheel? They had the heavier sound going.
I'm uploading Mezcal Head now. I hope it doesn't take too long ...

Loveless has actually gradually declined in my opinion. I liked it first listen, then really liked it for the next few listens, but then it just lost something for me. It was the first shoegazer album I heard (I know, how stereotypical), and when I discovered Nowhere, Loveless completely fell by the wayside. Seagull, Dreams Burn Down, and Vapour Trail are fucking incredible and leave anything on Loveless for dead.

Catherine Wheel are one of those bands who've been on my "to listen" list for ages but I've never gotten around to doing anything about that. What album is best?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #333
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:38 AM
So wait, are you imagining Axver watching the Loreley gig, rewinding every now and again to watch in slow-motion, maybe stopping a few frames here and there to observe?

I mean I can imagine that, but only if it was to look at some nice sporty young railfan in the audience.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #334
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
... do I even want to know about those two eras?
You're going to make me search for pics, aren't you....
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #335
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Once again, too much thought going into this for an alleged non-PLEBAn.
I'm surprised none of you have called me out for my era separations. I really have no fucking idea what Bono looked like between tours, when he went from Mullet Era to Bogan Cowboy Era or anything like that. For everything between the end of ZooTV and the start of Popmart, all I know is one photo of Bono looking like a wannabe artsy fart - and he has a beret on!

Pretty much all I know is from DVD bootlegs. Which I used to watch a lot back in the day. The object of my visual appreciation was the Gibson Explorer.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #336
Vocal parasite

Quote:
So wait, are you imagining Axver watching the Loreley gig, rewinding every now and again to watch in slow-motion, maybe stopping a few frames here and there to observe?

I mean I can imagine that, but only if it was to look at some nice sporty young railfan in the audience.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm uploading Mezcal Head now. I hope it doesn't take too long ...

Loveless has actually gradually declined in my opinion. I liked it first listen, then really liked it for the next few listens, but then it just lost something for me. It was the first shoegazer album I heard (I know, how stereotypical), and when I discovered Nowhere, Loveless completely fell by the wayside. Seagull, Dreams Burn Down, and Vapour Trail are fucking incredible and leave anything on Loveless for dead.

Catherine Wheel are one of those bands who've been on my "to listen" list for ages but I've never gotten around to doing anything about that. What album is best?
Thanks a lot!

Interesting regarding Loveless, did you just wear the album out after listening to it to often? It wasn't the first shoegaze album I heard in full, actually I think that might have been Nowhere. I remember having Vapour Trail on repeat for hours, or something. It still sounds so good to me, though.

For CW, Ferment and Chrome are generally considered the best. A lot of people say they went downhill after those, and I'd be willing to agree. There are some pretty hardcore fans here that could probably convince you otherwise, though.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #338
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm surprised none of you have called me out for my era separations. I really have no fucking idea what Bono looked like between tours, when he went from Mullet Era to Bogan Cowboy Era or anything like that. For everything between the end of ZooTV and the start of Popmart, all I know is one photo of Bono looking like a wannabe artsy fart - and he has a beret on!

Pretty much all I know is from DVD bootlegs. Which I used to watch a lot back in the day. The object of my visual appreciation was the Gibson Explorer.
I was wondering about the Unneccesarily Shaved Era... as far as I know he only went bald that one time

Did you hear Edge was donating the (spare) Explorer to a Music Rising auction?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #339
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

In between eras!

Between UF and JT: Parisian Bathtub era Jim Morrison.

Between LT and AB: Seamless transition!

Between AB and Passengers: Stoned Latin American dictator.

Between Passengers and Pop: Fucko, probably with a beret or something.

Between Pop and ATYCLB: Hella nerd thing going on.

After that it's just boring and it sort of was to begin with actually.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #340
Blue Crack Supplier

Behold, the Dead Skunk Era... (although I thought this was two-toned as well, my memory's going)

and the Roosterhead...

Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #341
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Thanks a lot!

Interesting regarding Loveless, did you just wear the album out after listening to it to often? It wasn't the first shoegaze album I heard in full, actually I think that might have been Nowhere. I remember having Vapour Trail on repeat for hours, or something. It still sounds so good to me, though.

For CW, Ferment and Chrome are generally considered the best. A lot of people say they went downhill after those, and I'd be willing to agree. There are some pretty hardcore fans here that could probably convince you otherwise, though.
Currently it says the upload's going to take only just a little under 2 hours ... ah well. I don't think it'll speed up much either!

I really don't think I wore out Loveless. I actually can't think of any album I've worn out; the albums I play to death, I tend to just like more and more. I haven't listened to Loveless in months now; it honestly bores me in parts and doesn't hold much attraction. Might have to give it another spin though.

Righto, I'll give those albums a try. Also, what do you think of Spiritualized? I've heard Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space praised as one of the greatest albums of all time, but never gotten around to downloading it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #342
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alisaura
[B]Behold, the Dead Skunk Era... (although I thought this was two-toned as well, my memory's going)

very robert smith
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #344
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I was wondering about the Unneccesarily Shaved Era... as far as I know he only went bald that one time

Did you hear Edge was donating the (spare) Explorer to a Music Rising auction?
But for all of Popmart, he had his hair shaved pretty short, didn't he? It always looked kind of stupid. As bad as the mullet was, at least it usually suited him.

And yes, I heard that! Now I just need to, you know, win Lotto.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #345
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mysterious_jen
[B]
Quote:

very robert smith
I shall offer myself as lipstick smearer