Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, everyone.

Today I think I'll listen to Fear of a Blank Planet.

phanan said:

I think SW just changed his mind after, realizing that Stars Die was too good not to be on there, so when it came time for it to be released here, he added it.

The two disc remaster is beautiful, but I would've used the lineup I posted before, and then on the second disc, have the alternate version of the title track by itself, or perhaps add Men Of Wood, too.

I put the songs together on my iPod the way I wanted, using Stars Die and Moonloop from the second disc (as they flow together) right after Phase 1, then continuing on with the rest. It works perfectly, I must say.

You know, I haven't heard Men Of Wood. But I believe it's on a compilation uploaded on a blog you linked to, so I'll have to check it out. I at least know Colourflow In Mind, which is interesting.

I'll have to give your tracklist a go. On paper, it looks like it should be fantastic. I take it that by the full Moonloop, you mean only the 16 minute version, not the 40 minute one?

Axver said:
The shoegazer kick I'm on tonight refuses to die. Ride's Dreams Burn Down is very :drool:-worthy.

Ride :drool:

Probably the best shoegazer album of all time. It's more consistent throughout than My Bloody Valentine.

Although Slowdive's Souvlaki is damn good, too.

the tourist said:
Good morning, everyone.

Today I think I'll listen to Fear of a Blank Planet.

Good man. The middle section of Anesthetize melted my face in Brisbane. Besides the fact that it rocks the fuck out in the first place, the sound in Brisbane was just perfect.

After how much I headbanged, no wonder I felt lightheaded after the gig.

Axver said:

You know, I haven't heard Men Of Wood. But I believe it's on a compilation uploaded on a blog you linked to, so I'll have to check it out. I at least know Colourflow In Mind, which is interesting.

I'll have to give your tracklist a go. On paper, it looks like it should be fantastic. I take it that by the full Moonloop, you mean only the 16 minute version, not the 40 minute one?

Men Of Wood is on the Stars Die compilation. It's pretty good, although I can see why it didn't make the album. I don't think it fits anywhere.

For Moonloop, I'm using the version from Disc 2 of The Sky Moves Sideways, which is in two parts (Improvisation and Coda). I think I like that version the best.

phanan said:

Probably the best shoegazer album of all time. It's more consistent throughout than My Bloody Valentine.

Nowhere is my favourite shoegaze album, and one of my favourite albums of all time full stop. It's just incredible. I listened to Swervedriver's Mezcal Head for the first time tonight and it's fantastic too.

I don't buy the Loveless hype. It's good and I like almost all the songs, but it's not the be-all and end-all of shoegazing.

The opening trio of songs on Souvlaki are fucking superb.

phanan said:

I think Souvlaki, Whirlpool by Chapterhouse and Death of Cool by Kitchens of Distinction are my top three Shoegaze albums.

Souvlaki Space Station is up there with my very favourite songs.

Of course, Ride and MBV are quality acts too.

Axver said:

Nowhere is my favourite shoegaze album, and one of my favourite albums of all time full stop. It's just incredible. I listened to Swervedriver's Mezcal Head for the first time tonight and it's fantastic too.

I don't buy the Loveless hype. It's good and I like almost all the songs, but it's not the be-all and end-all of shoegazing.

The opening trio of songs on Souvlaki are fucking superb.

Never heard Swervedriver. I'll have to take a listen at some point.

phanan said:

Great album.

I didn't buy Sleep Together as being all too great until I heard it live. Holy fuck, the band kicks the intensity up a notch. Great way to end the main set too. It's not a closer on the level of Trains or Halo, but it's close.

Axver said:

Good man. The middle section of Anesthetize melted my face in Brisbane. Besides the fact that it rocks the fuck out in the first place, the sound in Brisbane was just perfect.

After how much I headbanged, no wonder I felt lightheaded after the gig.

It's difficult to pick and choose what to listen to. All I know is that I want to get through all the studio stuff before I go through the live stuff.

Axver said:

Yeah. And the mixing is terrible.

the tourist said:

It's difficult to pick and choose what to listen to. All I know is that I want to get through all the studio stuff before I go through the live stuff.

What have you listened to so far?

The main studio albums are obviously the best starting point. I think I outlined those when I posted the link.

Speaking of things related to shoegazer, I find myself drawn to noise rock, and Wellingtonian band This Will Kill That are truly an example of an OBSCENELY overlooked band. Their sole release, the Nailed Out EP, is surprisingly catchy noise rock and they toured with Bailter Space. Until tonight, it's been all I've listened to besides Porcupine Tree for the last couple of weeks.

And Bonnie, my Internet is so persistently dropping out for short periods that I think it'll be a little while before I get Bailter Space's Vortura uploaded. If anybody else wants to hear some Kiwi shoegazing, let me know ...

phanan said:

What have you listened to so far?

The main studio albums are obviously the best starting point. I think I outlined those when I posted the link.

In order:

Deadwing
In Absentia
The Sky Moves Sideways
Lazarus single
Four Chords That Made A Million single
Fear of a Blank Planet single
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
Metanoia

That's cool, Ax. I need to go to bed after the Lilys are uploaded, too. I'll post the link here in case anyone else wants it. Should be a little under twenty minutes.

Andrew, when you listen to Up The Downstair, pay particular attention to the closer, Fadeaway.

It's challenging Piano Lessons for the title of my favourite Porcupine Tree song.

the tourist said:

In order:

Deadwing
In Absentia
The Sky Moves Sideways
Lazarus single
Four Chords That Made A Million single
Fear of a Blank Planet single
Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
Metanoia

You've certainly been jumping around. :wink:

Listen to Fear next, and then you'll be caught up with everything from Stupid Dream on (except for the Recordings compilation).

After that, you can go back to the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun era and listen to Recordings (which has songs that didn't make those albums). It's worth listening to just for the full version of Even Less and Buying New Soul.

Then there's quite a bit from the earlier era to still check out. I'd probably go with Up The Downstair at some point. It has one of my favorite songs from those years on it - Fadeaway.

I'll make sure to do that. I noticed that the Piano Lessons single wasn't on that site Phanan linked us to.... Any way anyone has it and could... er... give a gift of music? :wink:

the tourist said:

But it's terrible. Really and truly. I can hardly listen to it.

Just read Wikipedia's entry on Loveless about how obsessive Kevin Shields was in the whole recording process. It's almost hilarious in how over-the-top it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom