Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, the only live appearances of Heartland - two snippets - were both in Melbourne. And Hawkmoon 269 was played the most in Melbourne. :up:

Hawkmoon 269 is actually one of those very rare U2 songs that has had the majority of its performances in Australia. 7 in Australia (3 Melbourne, 2 Sydney, 1 each in Brissie and Perth), 1 in Amsterdam, and a snippet in Cologne on the Elevation Tour.

Cool. :) I actually wanted to use U2Setlists.com as the main site and put the U2Setlists format on one of our other URLs, but we eventually agreed on moving U2VT to U2gigs. Now my only problem is that we don't have a spiffy abbreviation so I keep calling the place U2VT! I was at one stage quite keen on a move to U2-on-tour so that it could be U2OT, but hyphenated URLs are a pain in the arse.

U2gigs is fine, nice and effective and easy to remember. Also I think the word 'gig' was one of the reasons why Adam was allowed to stay in the group, so it's got something in it there.

The Sad Punk said:
U2gigs is fine, nice and effective and easy to remember. Also I think the word 'gig' was one of the reasons why Adam was allowed to stay in the group, so it's got something in it there.

Somebody's on to why I didn't go for something like U2shows! That quote about Adam knowing the lingo came to mind after I thought up U2gigs. And yeah, I like that it's easy to remember and nice and short! My one big problem with U2VT's name was trying to spell it out to people offline. "U2 Vertigo Tour.com - but that's U2 hyphen Vertigo hyphen Tour!"

I also felt that U2VT's name really failed to imply the full tour archive. I got comfortable with it, and still am comfortable with it, but U2gigs really does rectify a number of failings.

Axver said:
Incidentally, the only live appearances of Heartland - two snippets - were both in Melbourne. And Hawkmoon 269 was played the most in Melbourne. :up:

Hawkmoon 269 is actually one of those very rare U2 songs that has had the majority of its performances in Australia. 7 in Australia (3 Melbourne, 2 Sydney, 1 each in Brissie and Perth), 1 in Amsterdam, and a snippet in Cologne on the Elevation Tour.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

I need to start practicing bass again. :heart:Heartland:heart:

Alisaura said:
Is "Shine Like Stars" an actual song he snippets, or what?

It's not an actual song, just an original extra verse Bono adds, and in all honesty I've thought that I should probably delete it. But frankly I like listing it and Matthias hasn't objected (in fact, he started listing it before I even came on board), so it's not going anywhere.

So instead I have started to think that maybe I should note other extra verses, such as One's "do you hear us coming?" verse. That would just require a hell of a lot of time for potentially little reward or reader interest.

And I meant to ask before... Is "shoegazing" a genre or a band? :reject:

It's a genre - and I'll leave explaining it to Bonnie, as she can probably define it better than I can!

Edit: So she beat me to it, in fact!

Speaking of shoegazer: Bonnie, check your e-mails for Swervedriver goodness.

Shoegazing is a genre that's actually named after a criticism of the bands that played in the style. The musicians would stand still lost in the music, face down most of the time. A critic dubbed it as "shoe gazing" and ever since that once boring term now gives the mind an image of everflowing waves of sound, guitars that sound like elephants and skinny, floppy haired Brits.

The Sad Punk said:
Shoegazing is a genre that's actually named after a criticism of the bands that played in the style. The musicians would stand still lost in the music, face down most of the time. A critic dubbed it as "shoe gazing" and ever since that once boring term now gives the mind an image of everflowing waves of sound, guitars that sound like elephants and skinny, floppy haired Brits.

"Shoegazing" always makes me think of a guitarist staring at an array of effects pedals to make The Edge very, very jealous.

Ali, here's a helpful Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

The Sad Punk said:
Aha... well, I didn't know what to imagine before, but now, yeah. :lol:

Didn't detect much elephant guitar in that first one :wink:

One other thing I've been meaning to ask... how precisely does one define "metal", particularly in comparision to/distinction from rock?
(people keep asking me what sort of band Porcupine Tree is, and I dunno what to say. :lol: Not that I would call them metal...)

Alisaura said:
One other thing I've been meaning to ask... how precisely does one define "metal", particularly in comparision to/distinction from rock?
(people keep asking me what sort of band Porcupine Tree is, and I dunno what to say. :lol: Not that I would call them metal...)

The line between rock and metal really is blurred. I mean, Led Zep were once considered metal. Steven Wilson in Sydney referred to Blackest Eyes as a metal song. I honestly have no fucking idea how to define Porcupine Tree - progressive alternative rock? At least pre-Stupid Dream, you could call them psychedelic progressive rock and feel fairly confident that summarised their sound! But how do you bring together the heavy riffage of Open Car with the keyboard-driven melody of Lazarus and the psychedelic meanderings of The Sky Moves Sideways under one handy genre label?

Axver said:
The line between rock and metal really is blurred. I mean, Led Zep were once considered metal. Steven Wilson in Sydney referred to Blackest Eyes as a metal song. I honestly have no fucking idea how to define Porcupine Tree - progressive alternative rock? At least pre-Stupid Dream, you could call them psychedelic progressive rock and feel fairly confident that summarised their sound! But how do you bring together the heavy riffage of Open Car with the keyboard-driven melody of Lazarus and the psychedelic meanderings of The Sky Moves Sideways under one handy genre label?
Labels FTL :down:

(And I keep thinking of FTL as = Faster Than Light... :nerd: )

I usually say something about prog rock and mumble a bit and say I liked it anyway :lol:

I just noticed before that I hadn't eaten tea, completely on accident! So I microwaved some Indian from last night.

Eating vegetarian curry, drinking German beer and listening to shoegaze. Life is good!

Axver said:

Vapour Trail! :love:

Really, the song that got me into Ride, even though Seagull has long since become my favourite shoegazer track.

I remember flicking on Rage one late night a year or so again and it was on! I was so happy.

Alisaura said:

Labels FTL :down:

(And I keep thinking of FTL as = Faster Than Light... :nerd: )

I usually say something about prog rock and mumble a bit and say I liked it anyway :lol:

:lol:

I tend to just get tongue-tied and fall back on "progressive alternative rock" and leave it at that. I prefer to just play songs for people than attempt to define the band. At least they defy neat categorisation!

And at least your reading of FTL is better than my continual reading of FTW as Fuck The What. :wink:

The Sad Punk said:
I just noticed before that I hadn't eaten tea, completely on accident! So I microwaved some Indian from last night.

Eating vegetarian curry, drinking German beer and listening to shoegaze. Life is good!

Here I am, rocking out to shoegaze when I should be doing productive stuff I'm completely fucked on. OH WELL!

Axver said:
Vapour Trail! :love:

Really, the song that got me into Ride, even though Seagull has long since become my favourite shoegazer track.
I'm just listening to that one!

I admit, I was expecting something harder when I clicked on the first You Tube clip... after getting over some emo/Enya-related shock, I rather like some of these :up:

And now I need to sleep... seeya Bonnie and Ax :wave:

Axver said:

Here I am, rocking out to shoegaze when I should be doing productive stuff I'm completely fucked on. OH WELL!

That's what I'm like every night. :lol:

I think I attended Tafe for maybe 7 hours in all this week... I went for Sculpture on Monday, skipped most of Concept Development on Tuesday because I want to transfer to another class, missed Art History on Wednesday because I went to the Airport to see my sister off (I would have been there first thing otherwise, of course) and slept in today because I only had two hours of sleep last night.

Alisaura said:

I'm just listening to that one!

I admit, I was expecting something harder when I clicked on the first You Tube clip... after getting over some emo/Enya-related shock, I rather like some of these :up:

And now I need to sleep... seeya Bonnie and Ax :wave:

Am I going to have to do you another CD of music? :wink:

Have a good night, Ali! :wave:

The Sad Punk said:

That's what I'm like every night. :lol:

I think I attended Tafe for maybe 7 hours in all this week... I went for Sculpture on Monday, skipped most of Concept Development on Tuesday because I want to transfer to another class, missed Art History on Wednesday because I went to the Airport to see my sister off (I would have been there first thing otherwise, of course) and slept in today because I only had two hours of sleep last night.

:laugh: I've attended 3.5 hours of university this week, but that's because I was in Queensland and missed by Monday and Tuesday stuff. Under normal circumstances, I only have 8 hours of classes per week this semester, but that's not taking into account my Royal Historical Society placement.

The Sad Punk said:
Have you listened to much Chapterhouse, Ax? Whirlpool is one of my favourite albums.

I've never heard ANY Chapterhouse. I've got all this random obscure shoegazer on my hard drive that frankly isn't all that great (couldn't even tell you many names because I don't play it much), but I've missed most of the classics. Got to rectify this. I rather liked the Chapterhouse song you linked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom