Saddam Hussein Town, Sri Lanka Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unico said:

OMG fuck yeah!!! :hi5:

highfivece8.gif

You need to come over to Melbourne the same time as I do so we can all chill together.

Hey Bonnie, you're three off 3,000 posts!

And this was post 45554 for me! :laugh:

Axver said:

The entire Judgement album worked together so well, it just left me speechless. I couldn't stop listening to it. I even went to a lot of effort to rig up my computer speakers so I could listen to the album in the shower, that's how much I loved it in the first week I heard it. It still sounds just as good to me as well. It's my second favourite album ever, behind The Unforgettable Fire. I rarely recommend it to people though, because I know they won't experience it the way I did and I have a tendency to overhype things.

Otherwise, yeah, it's generally songs rather than albums. It's rare for me to find an album that sounds so complete.

Listening to Loveless now ... it's good, but not that great to me. I definitely prefer my shoegazer to have a heavier edge and not to be TOTALLY washed out. Ride's Seagull is pretty much exactly what I want out of shoegazing.

That's awesome, seriously. They're metal, I guess? Metal in its forms is really the only of the key genres that I don't really listen to. I listen to rap a lot, and I like early Appalachian style country. But I think the closest I have to metal on my iPod is just the heavier shoegaze stuff. :reject: I should really try checking out some more.

I think you'll like the Lilys a lot. I'm going to have a track of theirs on my DI disc, haven't decided which one but they've got some heavier elements along with the washed out sound. A good leveler.

Axver said:
I'm guessing Dead Skunk is after the War Tour but before the UF Tour? It seems like it would logically fit between Bono's hairstyles at Loreley, 20/08/83, and Dortmund, 21/11/84. (See, Bonnie was right re: bootlegs!)
See, this is where my almost-total ignorance of bootleg DVDs trips me up.

*HINT HINT*

Subtle as a brick, yes? :wink:

Geez, I reminisce with my employment history and you lot pile on three pages! :ohmy:

Axver said:
Wait, Edge hasn't naturally gone bald?
Yeah, but he went naturally bald in 1984 (I think he took one look at Bono's mullet and thought "better lose it all now than end up like that")... genetics vs. the ageing process :wink:

The Sad Punk said:
That's awesome, seriously. They're metal, I guess? Metal in its forms is really the only of the key genres that I don't really listen to. I listen to rap a lot, and I like early Appalachian style country. But I think the closest I have to metal on my iPod is just the heavier shoegaze stuff. :reject: I should really try checking out some more.

I think you'll like the Lilys a lot. I'm going to have a track of theirs on my DI disc, haven't decided which one but they've got some heavier elements along with the washed out sound. A good leveler.

Anathema started out as metal (doom death, to be precise), but by Judgement, they'd evolved to a dark alternative rock sound. I don't think any tracks really qualify as metal with the possible exception of Pitiless.

Metal is an incredibly diverse genre, I think much more than those unfamiliar with it realise. There's plenty of metal I despise (usually the juvenile thrash metal and metalcore) and that I think ruins its reputation. But it is very inaccessible for the most part. It's hard to really pinpoint a good starting point. I unsurprisingly have an inclination towards the atmospheric side of the genre - and I have absolutely no issue with death growls, which helps.

I really don't appreciate rap or country at all. I hate to write off an entire genre, and I would never say I hate them outright; I simply haven't heard anything I like yet. I find my tastes to be contradictorily both broad and narrow. You can generally tie things together with the atmospheric thread, and often prominent guitars.

Alisaura said:

Yeah, but he went naturally bald in 1984 (I think he took one look at Bono's mullet and thought "better lose it all now than end up like that")... genetics vs. the ageing process :wink:

OK, you're going to have to explain this to me further, as Edge had ridiculously long hair on Lovetown, the longest hair any member of U2 has ever had.

THE OTHER POST WAS A DECOY

THIS IS THE REAL EPIC POST BECAUSE 3002 IS A TIGHT AS FUCK NUMBER

THE COOLEST CATS ARE ALL HERE FOR A 1 POST PARTYATHON

prince1_50.jpg

HELL OF GERMAN BEER IN THE FRIDGE

Grant.jpg

bing_crosby1.jpg

DE LA SOUL ON THE PLAYA

171226~James-Cagney-Edward-G-Robinson-Posters.jpg

Cat-party.jpg

COCAINE HABITS THE SIZE OF ALASKA

bogsss9.jpg

cocaine%20crosswalk.jpg

DA PARTY IZ HERR

Axver said:
OK, you're going to have to explain this to me further, as Edge had ridiculously long hair on Lovetown, the longest hair any member of U2 has ever had.
Lots at the back, nothin' up front (ye gods, it's the ultimate extreme mullet!!).... he was always in a bandanna or hat or whatever. I suppose I should have qualified that by saying he wasn't/isn't COMPLETELY bald.

And haha! Axver's gone to PLEBA... :giggle:

I don't even know if I have any Lovetown pics... there must be some... I think I scanned the ones from this fan magazine someone gave me dated around then.

Alisaura said:
I don't even know if I have any Lovetown pics... there must be some... I think I scanned the ones from this fan magazine someone gave me dated around then.

Well, if you have some, post them! It is your duty to do so because it's Lovetown we're talking about here. :wink:

Alisaura said:

Lots at the back, nothin' up front (ye gods, it's the ultimate extreme mullet!!).... he was always in a bandanna or hat or whatever. I suppose I should have qualified that by saying he wasn't/isn't COMPLETELY bald.

Ahh, right. Now that you mention it, I can't think of any Lovetown footage I've seen of Edge without a bandanna or a hat. The most recent I can think of Edge going hatless is 1985! When he did sort of have a receding hairline. Oh, and there's some Pop era photo that some people here have as an avatar where he's mostly bald.

I have Lovetown DVDs, obviously. :wink:

I have a fair few Lovetown screenshots too, as I once tried to make an avatar of Edge playing the Desire shredding solo. Unfortunately, most of the screenshots suck and the avatar didn't work.

And I'll only post them HERE, as picspam.

The Sad Punk said:

Oh, please. I'd love nothing more than seeing you shamelessly post them in my thread. Just consider it separate to the rest of that subforum it's in. :wink:

I ... can't bring myself to do it!

Sorry, I'm not throwing my dignity to the four winds unless it's for setlists. :wink:

Axver said:
I ... can't bring myself to do it!

Sorry, I'm not throwing my dignity to the four winds unless it's for setlists. :wink:
Everyone has their price... post setlists in PLEBA!! :lol:

Pictures of signed setlists, perhaps? :angel:

And hey, if I can occasionally throw my dignity to the wind and post in EYKIW, you can post in PLEBA. :wink:

Now this is a setlist, people. :drool:

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Desire / Not Fade Away (snippet)
3. All Along The Watchtower / Like A Hurricane (snippet)
4. Bullet The Blue Sky / Neighbours Theme Song (snippet)
5. Running To Stand Still
6. Heartland (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
7. I Will Follow
8. Gloria
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
10. All I Want Is You / Sexual Healing (snippet)
11. People Get Ready
12. Angel Of Harlem
13. When Love Comes To Town / In The Midnight Hour (snippet)
14. Love Rescue Me
15. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
16. God Part II / I Feel Love (snippet)
17. New Year's Day
18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
19. Party Girl
20. 40

Soundchecked: Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky, Dancing Barefoot, She's A Mystery To Me, Van Diemen's Land, unknown bluesy songs.

Where's PFan or Liam to play the setlist guessing game? Well, I know where Liam is and why he's not at a computer, but Pee Fan needs to wake up. :tsk:

Nooo, it's MELBOURNE! :up:

The very last Melbourne show, 16/10/89. The soundcheck is the only known example of U2 doing Dancing Barefoot live. A small group of fans were actually let in to witness that soundcheck - lucky bastards!

She's A Mystery To Me didn't actually debut live until 2.5 months after that soundcheck either ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom