Ryan Adams' Wonderwall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom in Boston

The Fly
I just heard this for the first time this morning. Amazing! Does anyone have an MP3 link or streaming audio or something? I'm stuck at work now and I'd love to give it a listen. I promise I'll pay for it on iTunes when I get home. Any help?

Yeah. I caught the tail end of their discussion. The people on the show seem pretty clueless when it comes to music, but I liked what I heard this morning. I didn't even know that it was Ryan Adams until I looked it up later. I got Rock N Roll, but I didn't get either of the Love Is Hell discs. It's a fantastic version or the song. I think I like it more than the original. Noel never should have let Liam sing the original.

Just listened to it, thanks for the link. Not bad, I like it.

On a side note, I cant believe BonoChick hasnt attacked this thread with a vengence by now!

i'm surprised too...usually she can smell these threads miles off

u2popmofo said:

On a side note, I cant believe BonoChick hasnt attacked this thread with a vengence by now!

:lol:

I :heart: Ryan's version...I had heard it on bootlegs before Love Is Hell was released, so I was really excited for an official studio version.

elevatedmole said:

It's really a pity that Love is Hell wasn't Ryan's full, new album, because it really is better. :shrug:

Way to go, Lost Highway! :rolleyes:

Some quotes from Ryan about it...

"Love Is Hell kind of had - has - the potential to be a doomy record that can befriend people who are in a doomy place. And that wasn't a career move that my label felt like I needed to make at that time. I was going through a lot of personal things, a lot of heaviness. All you have to do is listen to the album, and all the answers are there."

"When I turned in [Love Is Hell], they went, 'It sounds like The Smiths.' And I'm like, 'That's a huge fucking compliment. Of course you don't like it. You live in Nashville.' I'm on a major label, but I should be on an indie. The money's the same, and the fame doesn't fucking mean shit. At least on an indie I'd get to make the art I want to make."

"I turned [Love Is Hell] in, and the record company were not excited about it. They said it wasn't my best stuff. Certain people thought I would really fuck myself by releasing that record. They weren't used to me doing music that wasn't male-driven classic rock."

"[Lost Highway] thought [Love Is Hell] was excessive. But I wanted to make a really fucked up and excessive record. Jesse Malin said it reminded him of Tonight's The Night. It was very damaged, and I loved how disturbing it was. I was in a deep depression, and I wasn't dealing with it. That was a really interesting place to be, and that's where the record came from."

"[Lost Highway] thought I was too drugged out and was leading them on a wild goose chase with an album that was unreleasable. So they sent us to New Orleans with John Porter to re-do it."

"I thought I'd reached the most radical, different, and honest I could be about my feelings on Love Is Hell. And it was rejected. The one thing I had ever done that doesn't owe shit to anybody else except for a few borrowed Smiths riffs, and they didn't want it. Those songs are me going out of my head. I made this totally bombed-out record about killing yourself. And they didn't get it. They didn't hear a single."

"I quit. I said, 'Fuck you guys.' I got really angry. [Lost Highway] already had four records of mine sitting in the can. I was already in a depression, and that was it."

FINALLY!

My bro and I generally have the same musical tastes, but of course we both have artists we love that the other sibling doesn't listen to. I've been talking about Ryan for two years now, but he's never shown an interest in him. Imagine my surprise when I come home tonight and he's coming out of my room with a stack of Ryan cds. Turns out he heard Wonderwall at the end of this week's Smallville and he was blown away by his version. Yay, I hope he becomes converted to a Ryan-addict too!!

:D

hey hey, no Oasis bashing in here alright? The original version of Wonderwall (with Liam) is a classic. I also love hearing Noel sing the song. Any version of Wonderwall with Oasis is great. Though I must say that I really like what Ryan Adams did with the song. It's different. But Oasis is still tops

alright, i bought the cd this afternoon only for his version of Wonderwall and i am glad i did because it is a pretty cd.

the original will always be better. :heart: it is one of my all time favorite songs, but i do think Ryan did a great job covering it and making it a very haunting song.

:up: Really good. I like the original better but Ryan really makes it his.

Really nice change in tempo from the original.

But not as good as the original overall, I'm not sure why.

I heard this song this morning on Launch. I thought it was very beautiful, both because of the way he sings it and because of the music. I can't say whether in the long run I'd like the cover or the original more--they're very different from each other, so I'd look at them more as separate songs worth evaluating separately, if that makes any sense. Anyway, great cover. :up:

They played this song at the end of The O.C...I was tipped off that they were going to use it, so it was the only reason I watched. :laugh:

Justified said:
the original will always be better. :heart: it is one of my all time favorite songs, but i do think Ryan did a great job covering it and making it a very haunting song.
:yes: I agree. (well, it's not really one of my all time favourite songs, but I still love it.) It's great when a band can cover a song and make it different enough to be their own though, if that makes sense...I love how Ryan made it his.

Back
Top Bottom