Ryan Adams vs. Jack White

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry if my post offended some ryan adams fans here. every pic i've seen of the guy he looks grungy. it's just my opinion...which most times is not worth much admitedly.

that being said i that's really sweet what he did for that girl. he went a lot farther than most musicians/celebrities would have and that's wonderful.

i just think he's acting childish with all this name calling and i'm better than him stuff. in the end its making himself look a lot worse.

Sweet Tart said:
sorry if my post offended some ryan adams fans here. every pic i've seen of the guy he looks grungy.

3369982723232%7Ffp69%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3Dxroqdf%3E232335%3A599358ot1lsi

3369982723232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2326%3D935%3D%3B96%3Dxroqdf%3E232335%3A59%3C947ot1lsi

Yeah, he does look a little grungy in some of his pics though...but it's a cute grungy...

Really!!! :D

Sweet Tart said:
sorry if my post offended some ryan adams fans here. every pic i've seen of the guy he looks grungy. it's just my opinion...which most times is not worth much admitedly.

that being said i that's really sweet what he did for that girl. he went a lot farther than most musicians/celebrities would have and that's wonderful.

i just think he's acting childish with all this name calling and i'm better than him stuff. in the end its making himself look a lot worse.

I think I may have misinterpreted your statement. He really does look dirty in a lot of pics, but "dirt bag" seems to imply something about his character, too. That's what I thought was uncalled for. But now I'm thinking that's not what you meant...

And I agree about the name-calling. It seems like sometimes he just talks before thinking. I don't know. The whole thing is just silly. :shrug:

FYI, concerning the Ryman incident, there's going to be a bit about it tomorrow night on MTV's Big Urban Myth Show. A girl from the Ryan board is actually going to be on there, giving her account of things. She fears that it may be edited so that she sounds negative, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

She just posted at the board and said:

"I did my best to defend Ryan and say there were so many more important things about the concert besides the booting of the fan, but they could very well cut the interview to say only the negative things I said. I in fact reiterated some of the good things I said in my initial review. "

http://www.mtv.com/onair/big_urban_myth/

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tinymixtapes/features/tiny_mix_tapes_on_mtv.htm

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

I think I may have misinterpreted your statement. He really does look dirty in a lot of pics, but "dirt bag" seems to imply something about his character, too. That's what I thought was uncalled for. But now I'm thinking that's not what you meant...

And I agree about the name-calling. It seems like sometimes he just talks before thinking. I don't know. The whole thing is just silly. :shrug:

yeah i meant it like he looks like a dirt bag and not that he IS a dirt bag. looking back at what i typed i can now see why people misinterpreted what i said and i definately didn't mean it as a reflection of his character.

i might have to that comment back as seeing he is in a bath tub in the first pic there. :shrug: :lol:

Last edited:
so, what is this I hear?

Is this feud like a Scott Stapp vs. Fred Durst thing? :down:

yertle-the-turtle said:
Any guy who calls Chad Kroeger 'a total penis sausage' can't be that bad, right?

I laughed so hard when I read that in Q! The discussion on that came up again on the Ryan board, due to an article somebody found. Here it is....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why does everyone hate Nickelback?

The information: Smart answers to stupid questions

Sandra Sperounes
The Edmonton Journal

Saturday, March 01, 2003

CREDIT: Journal Stock

(Chad Kroeger)

"What a total penis sausage that guy is."

For singer-songwriter Ryan Adams, who uttered the above quote, Nickelback is his idea of hell.

In a recent issue of Q, he slagged Alberta's favourite sons -- particularly Chad Kroeger, Mr. Penis Sausage himself.

Another moody bastard, Matthew Good, is also not fond of the "bread rock" perpetrated by the rural rockers. Neither is glam-rocker Robin Black. "I think they're low-budget Pearl Jam/Bush/***** ripoffs, and I think that singer's long hair and beard are atrocious," Black wrote on chartattack.com.

Critics, too, love to attack the 'Back. The Guardian, a London newspaper, recently wrote: "Everyone here hates Nickelback." In an e-mail to ed, Guardian critic Alexis Petridis clarified.

"The reason there's a backlash against Nickelback is because they -- along with Puddle Of Mudd, Pink and Avril Lavigne -- represent the dilution of punk rock/grunge into perfectly safe, sanitised take-it-home-to-meet-your-folks rock music. It's soccer-mom-approved grunge, with every last ounce of passion, integrity, danger and feeling removed and replaced with hollow, vapid, stadium-packing bluster. It's the return of '80s FM drive-time rock: How You Remind Me has far more in common with, say, Kenny Loggins' Highway Through the Danger Zone than it does with Smells Like Teen Spirit," Petridis rails.

"It's prepackaged rebellion, music for accountants to punch the air to as they drive in their SUVs. Don't you think that's kind of horrible?

"And the lead singer looks like a total ass as well. And that ballad he did on the Spider-Man soundtrack -- ugh! It sounds like Celine Dion grew a beard, doesn't it?"

There's more. Grammy voters shut the band out last weekend. In Portugal last August, Nickelback was pelted with rocks and Kroeger replied with the one-fingered salute you see at the top of this page. And in Britain, NME readers voted Nickelback the "Worst Band" of 2002 while the mere sight of the group's name provoked a chorus of boos at the Kerrang Awards.

But why does everyone hate Nickelback? Is it:

(a) derivative tunes -- like How You Remind Me, Too Bad and Hero -- so free of creative integrity?

(b) Kroeger's involvement with Default and Theory of A Deadman?

(c) A case of "we-like-to-build-'em-up-and-now-we'll tear-'em-down" syndrome?

It's actually (d) all of the above and (e) none of the above, says Steve Jones, program director for K-Rock and new station 96X.

"It's become fashionable to hate them because they're so big. (When) I first got into radio, Corey Hart's Sunglasses At Night became huge and then ... a year later, the music industry ate Corey Hart alive. You see it happen over and over and over again -- with Madonna, Alanis Morissette. We hate success."

And yet, Jones doesn't even buy the Nickelback-lash. He says the only ones who truly hate the band are critics, radio people (not him, of course) and other industry types.

The Bear's program director, Greg Diamond, agrees. Nickelback remains of the station's most requested bands.

"It's the average listener who finds the band very, very popular and it's because they're familiar with the sound, they're comfortable with the sound and they like the songs," Diamond says.

And they're miles better than Ryan Adams' songs, says Gary Fredrich-Dunne, who works for EMI, Nickelback's Canadian label. "Every time I read a story about Adams, it goes on and on about how prolific he is," he says.

"Nobody ever seems to point out that most of his songs only seem half-finished."

And in the world of sausages, length is everything.

FWIW, I think Ryan looks :drool: and completely agree that the guy from Nickleback is a "total penis sausage." :yes: :lmao:

i remember when i was watching vh1 and they were doing their usual "god forbid we'd show an entire video" spiel. he was saying what the song was about, and i was having a hard time imagining that he's ever had a girlfriend - well, one that wasn't inflatable.

u2popmofo said:
I always thought that he was an alt-country star....

That's about as un-rocking as you can get...

I just noticed that post and thought I'd post what Ryan had to say on his board last night about the new album. From the sound of it, I think we're gonna be surprised. I'm also wondering if this will be his last solo album...he seems really passionate about what he said here, as he stuck around for a bit and was replying to some of our replies, backing up his opinion.

"What I mean to say about the recording is that it is unconventional. the arrangements are heavier than before in places and im not using a bunch of diffrent instruments to flesh it out. also im doing most all the layering myself be it guitars or whatnot and its alot more fun than before. i think the other albums are pretty basic, but in that, they are kinda old-fashioned, sort of 1970s production. i admire that about those records. this records screams and moans alittle more. its kind of like theres alot more fucking in this record and alot less kissing. and trust me. its not gonna get compare to YHF. i wouldnt bore myself like that. i dont feel like making any more goddamn folk records, or country records or country-rock soudning things and i dont even really feel like making solo records anymore after this anyways. i have to take shit on the chin alone all the time where as a band can shrug it off alot easier and im tired of constantly having to stand up for myslef artistically when its just fucking albums. they dont mean anything. im already talking to some people about doing a band thing after this record. i think i wanna be behing the guitar and let somebody else cover those other bases. itll be a hell of alot more fun and maybe more interesting. im glad i have been able to shake things up and piss people off i guess if it means they are thinking and reacting, but the whole thing gets lost on plenty of balls out choices (like following the gold tour solo, which was fucking hard) and hard fucking work. mind you, i know abouve everything else, that at the end of the day this whole thing is just bullshit and it dosent mean dick. and when i dont have fun anymore i wont do it. and im running out of laughs as a solo guy. this record is probably gonna reflect that. and thats why itll be fucking good. thats why it is good. its mot kissing music. its fucking music. and its good......whatever."

Last edited:
I think his stuff is great, but I loved it more with Whiskeytown.........I would love to see him as part of a band again.....:up:

KhanadaRhodes said:
i remember when i was watching vh1 and they were doing their usual "god forbid we'd show an entire video" spiel. he was saying what the song was about, and i was having a hard time imagining that he's ever had a girlfriend - well, one that wasn't inflatable.
jesus, sorry, i just realized this makes no sense.

it was the video for "how you remind me" and i'm talking about chad kroeger. i just wanted to clarify. :wink:

Ryan posted at his message board today to let us know that his new album is finished. This was at the end of his post:

"last of all, not that I havent addressed it, but anything I said about Jack White is total bullshit. He is a genius and he knows it and the shit I stirred up with him was taken out of context but wrong at the same time. Just me running my mouth probably high or something and it idnt anything but plain ole jealousy. He really is that good and there new record, which I have heard on vinyl only once, is so outstanding that I cannot imagine any self-respecting musician to re-think their entire approach to rocknroll. They should be adored and not discredited and for that I apologize. So, anyway maybe well talk soon. Im going home to have a nice long bath and some sleep. Lots of love. R"

Bonochick said:
Ryan posted at his message board today to let us know that his new album is finished. This was at the end of his post:

"last of all, not that I havent addressed it, but anything I said about Jack White is total bullshit. He is a genius and he knows it and the shit I stirred up with him was taken out of context but wrong at the same time. Just me running my mouth probably high or something and it idnt anything but plain ole jealousy. He really is that good and there new record, which I have heard on vinyl only once, is so outstanding that I cannot imagine any self-respecting musician to re-think their entire approach to rocknroll. They should be adored and not discredited and for that I apologize. So, anyway maybe well talk soon. Im going home to have a nice long bath and some sleep. Lots of love. R"

Well said, Ryan!! :up: I can't wait to hear the new White Stripes album, either. :drool: :heart:

the whole album is on the net somewhere. i heard a bit of it and it sounds pretty good. the song meg sings is a bit weird though.

I love Ryan Adam's music. I know that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread but I just wanted to say that.

I saw his concert here in LA and it was amazing.

I still think he's a dick though. and I give him 5 years to live. He's on a bad path.

Back
Top Bottom