Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering when a thread on JCN was going to come up..... what an amazing cd from what ive heard so far! still dont think its going to be as good as Cold Roses though.

Adams needs to take a long break.
by his standards that would be a year. Just go a year without releasing an album!!

Basstrap said:
Adams needs to take a long break.
by his standards that would be a year. Just go a year without releasing an album!!

nooooooooooo i couldnt last a year without new RA :rockon:

he's wearing himself out. running out of material.
every year he becomes a bigger jerk and idiot.

he needs to unwind.

Basstrap said:
he's wearing himself out. running out of material.
every year he becomes a bigger jerk and idiot.

he needs to unwind.

let me know when you find 2 of his cds that sound the same :eyebrow:

it's not about that, I think Cold Roses is his best work since heartbreaker.

But sometimes it seems like he's stretching.

someday he'llwake up and realize that just him and a guitar is the best thing he's ever done

Basstrap said:
someday he'llwake up and realize that just him and a guitar is the best thing he's ever done

Until he goes off and tells the guitar that it played the wrong note, and he should know, because he wrote the fucking song!

:wink:

Listened to this just before bed... I really like it. It's a bit more accessible, to me anyway, than Cold Roses. I think it may be a bit offputting to some people though, in that it's definitely his most purely "country" sounding album of any of his solo work.

Thanks for the heads up on this: I'm currently downloading. I love Cold Roses! There are so many great songs. Excited to hear JCN.

I'm listening to JCN right now and, to me, it's really strong country so far. I've only heard a few songs but Cold Roses seems way better so far.

I find it interesting that even working with the same band he's managed to make an album so different from the sound they had on the first. I actually quite like it. It's got a lot less of the "alt" and a lot more of the country without sounding anything like mainstream country. :up:

I think it's a good extension of Cold Roses.

I can't imagine why someone would think he shouldn't release albums when he has songs worth recording. If you said he needed a break in 2003, you'd be on to something, but not now.

Oh, and I think every album I have has a guest appearance by Norah Jones, PJ Harvey, or Emmylou Harris at some point.

Reviews so far...

NME:

"Whether you just about tolerate, hate or absolutely despise the man, Ryan Adams releasing three albums (or four, if the tracks he recorded for Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown ever see the light of day) in a single year is an impressive feat - enough to make Axl Rose grind his teeth into a fine powder. Album number 2, "Jacksonville City Nights", is a clutch of earnest honky-tonk melancholia couched in Adams confessional-style. But like, say, Joanna Newsom, it's a brand of confessionalism that, thankfully, dosen't put the listener in an awkward place. As with his previous post-'Gold' LPs, Adams could clearly make use of an editor here - but you can't possibly hate an album that uses pedal-steel on every track." -Mike Sterry 7/10

~~~

Interview:

"With its honky-tonk instrumentation, heavy on pedal steel and weepy violin, Jacksonville City Nights could easily be considered the 'return to alt-country' album many Ryan Adams fans have been waiting for since his 2000 debut Heartbreaker. But to settle for such a description makes this project sound somehow regressive. Adams delivers raw, emotional narratives; on highlights like 'Hard Way to Fall' and 'Trains' he creates a singular feeling-live and loose, but focused and powerful. The restless Adams has spent too much time in recent years convincingly impersonating his heroes. But here he's done something far more impressive - he's made a record that sounds like Ryan Adams."

Email from Lost Highway:

Click HERE for a list of some of our favorite record shops in America that will be offering the DVD of the short film by Danny Clinch, September, free with purchase of the new album, Jacksonville City Nights. September is a 20 minute documentary of the writing & recording of the album which hits stores 9/27. The DVD also contains 2 bonus audio tracks, “A Kiss Before I Go (Demonstration Recording)”, and “What Sin Replaces Love (Demonstration Recording)”.

Quantities are limited to 15,000 in the US & when they’re gone, they’re gone. Many of the retailers listed here are offering September as a pre-order premium, so reach out to your local store to reserve your copy today.

Also, many of these locations will be carrying the vinyl version of Jacksonville City Nights (lovingly pressed in Nashville, TN on 180 gram vinyl). The LP version features 4 tracks not available on CD: “A Kiss Before I Go (Demonstration Recording)”, “Jeane”, “I Still Miss Someone”, and “Always On My Mind”.

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

Rolling Stone:

3 1/2 stars

Lately Ryan Adams has been revisiting the country rock of his early career: first with Cold Roses, the two-disc set Adams and his band the Cardinals put out just a few months ago; and now on Jacksonville City Nights, an unadulterated return to form. Nights finds him digging deeper than ever into the genre to suckle on its dirt-clotted roots. Adams stakes out a fairly small plot of land, which gives these fourteen tracks a purity of spirit: He explores with unwavering dedication the shuffle, sway and gallop of traditional country music, as channeled through the filter of Seventies country rock. Taking cues from Southern bards such as Gram Parsons and Townes Van Zandt, Jacksonville City Nights is also classic Adams -- earthy, rich with pathos and almost disconcertingly dedicated to the idea that life's only two constants are losing a lover you probably didn't deserve in the first place and losing yourself in the bottom of a fifth of Jack Daniel's. The standout tracks are the ones where a wearily bowed fiddle or heavy-hearted piano vamp matches Adams' wounded honky-tonk moan. On the haunting ballad "Dear John" -- a duet with Norah Jones, who ought to make a country album of her own -- the devil is in the details of a marriage gone wrong: overdue bills, a miscarriage, the cats who "went missing from the window you never fixed and the door you never latched." The prolific Adams has got another album due before year's end. If Jacksonville City Nights is any indication of where he's headed, we could be on the cusp of his best one yet. -Jenny Eliscu

Back
Top Bottom