Ryan Adams In Ann Arbor...WOW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:
Jeez. Poor Paul. When was the last time he wrote a good song? That is actually a real question. I lost track of him.

He jsut released a new album. I have yet to listen to it...but some of his "Grandpa Boy" stuff was good...not anything like his earlier solo stuff or the Replacements stuff.

I still like Ryan's attitude. Despite what might have happened at the show, I wish I was there.

The Replacements were great. I saw them a few times.

And I would definitely go see Ryan if he came to town, and if he was an ass I would probably laugh.

zoney! said:

In New York? :hyper: What year?

Yeah, NYC! I'll have to check my ticket stubs at home. I definitely saw them at the Beacon and maybe someplace smaller like the Ritz but I can't quite remember. Those were some serious concert days for me.

Yes zoney, I'm sure we have met before :sexywink:

joyfulgirl said:

Yeah, NYC! I'll have to check my ticket stubs at home. I definitely saw them at the Beacon and maybe someplace smaller like the Ritz but I can't quite remember. Those were some serious concert days for me.

sadly, I only had the opportunity to see them once in NY...at Madison Square Garden (which is cool, in a way). They opened up for Elvis Costello. A case where the opening band was WAY better than the headliner. Most amazing set (replacements) I have seen done by an opening band at an arena. I'll have to tell you about it someday! :D

zoney! said:

sadly, I only had the opportunity to see them once in NY...at Madison Square Garden (which is cool, in a way). They opened up for Elvis Costello. A case where the opening band was WAY better than the headliner. Most amazing set (replacements) I have seen done by an opening band at an arena. I'll have to tell you about it someday! :D

I did not see that show. I don't even remember hearing about it. :mad:

From an Uncut interview with Paul Westerberg...

Q: Of the many people who clearly owe you a musical debt, why have you singled Ryan Adams out for so much of your contempt? I read an interview with you last year where you said, "Ryan Adams ought to have his teeth kicked down his throat."

A: I made a big point out of sticking it to him because he was the Westerberg of the moment. It probably got him more press anyway. I learned later from guitar techs who worked with him and then with me that his feelings were hurt and stuff like that and I passed along messages to him that it was nothing more than professional wrestling. It was for show, it was a gang thing. It's like, hey I imitated and probably still do, Johnny Thunders and Keith Richards and Alex Chilton. If you get the right blend of influences, you can digest them and make your own thing. But if you lean too heavily on one thing, you've gotta own up and pay the piper. But you know, the fact there are other artists who may be inspired by me is satisfying. I'd much prefer that to being a million seller. Mind you, I could use some money!

So Paul Westerberg saying Ryan Adams should have his teeth kicked out is the new Madonna posing with Britney? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom