Ryan Adams In Ann Arbor...WOW - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2003, 03:51 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:29 PM
uh....i am a little behind I guess.........

Old 12-12-2003, 04:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:29 PM
I liked Leona better.

Old 12-15-2003, 01:02 AM   #18
Refugee

I'm glad you had such an awesome time! I saw him at the Riv in Chicago last night and had an equally awesome time. It was GA, and I was right up front. Consequently, I was touching sweaty Ryan when he dove off the stage three times at the end of the night. Another highlight for me was the Cookie Monster version of Wish You Were Here. It was a great show.

Did Whornet play in Ann Arbor?
Old 12-15-2003, 01:05 AM   #19
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:29 PM

The Stills played. They were okay...I hear that the album work is better than their live shows.

I heard he did a Cookie Monster version...how fucking sweet is that????

I think Ann Arbor was the only show on this tour that wasn't GA. It worked out good for me though cuz we wouldn't have been able to get there to line up early.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 12-15-2003, 01:12 AM   #20
Refugee

Hee hee. "Whornet" came on before the Stills in Chicago and played 3 really quick punk songs. The lead singer was the drummer from the Stills, the guitar player was another member of the Stills, and the drummer ... was Ryan! In a hoodie and sunglasses.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:48 AM   #21
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

That's great!

I think my dad is warming up more to Ryan...he said that since the concert, he's found himself to be humming Ryan tunes.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:16 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Normal

I tried to get tickets, running to a couple of stores and calling the venue...as well as having a friend call some connections. No help. BUTTTTTT...............sounds like Ryan had a bit of a meltdown. NOT COOL making fun of Paul Westerberg.

Concert review: Ryan Adams has a meltdown at First Avenue
Chris Riemenschneider, Star Tribune

December 16, 2003

Lambasting everything from the sound system to music journalists to local rock legend Paul Westerberg, young Americana rocker Ryan Adams gave an unwieldy, erratic performance that turned into a personal meltdown Sunday night at First Avenue.

The 29-year-old former Whiskeytown singer's reputation as a bratty, gabby rock star had added to the charm of past concerts, but he was anything but likeable Sunday.

His two-hour show started as a clumsy deluge of uncharacteristically fast and furious rock noise, and it turned into a disheveled acoustic set when the electricity didn't work in Adams' favor. As the music got worse, so did the singer's diva-like behavior.

Before his second of two stormy huffs off stage, he stood by himself, holding a cocktail and whining, "I just want to go home for Christmas."

Make no mistake, Adams is one of rock's most gifted modern songwriters. His prolific proficiency -- he releases at least one album a year -- impresses as much as his knack for turning old formulas like heartache and hard living into fresh inspiration.

However, that musical genius was buried Sunday beneath three or four blaring guitars and overeager rhythms. Even the best songs off his loud new album "lloR 'n kcoR" fell flat, including "This Is It" and "Wish You Were Here" -- each of which he played twice, not satisfied the first time.

The first clue to his off mood was the fact that Adams barely spoke for the first hour. After a snide, uninspired version of "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)," the floodgates opened, and fans probably would've paid a second cover charge to shut him up.

Apparently, three things set Adams off: problems with the amplifiers, which likely stemmed from his inexperience with so many guitars; a bad review for opening band the Stills in the local weekly City Pages, and a York, Pa., newspaper article in which former Replacements singer Westerberg said Adams "needs to get his teeth kicked in."

Admitting that the Replacements "dominated my record collection," Adams went on and on about how Westerberg had dealt him a cheap shot.

"You don't trash the people you inspired," he said, calling the local singer "a bitter old bitch."

Westerberg and the Stills review kept coming up even after the sound problems were averted by temporarily ditching electric guitars. The ensuing acoustic set was an improvised disaster, with Adams making up lyrics about the Replacements and his own public image, including, "Yeah, so I dated an actress . . you would, too." (His current girlfriend is film star Parker Posey, plus he dated Winona Ryder.)

"This is one of my worst shows ever, but I like it," he said defiantly near the end.

By then, half of the sellout crowd had left. Of the ones who stayed, some were no doubt hoping Westerberg would show up and meet Adams' needs.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #23
I Serve Larry's Stick

Normal

well, i guess we all have our bad nights
Old 12-16-2003, 09:28 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

wow, thats bad....

as great as Ryan is, he still often acts 18...
Old 12-16-2003, 12:59 PM   #25
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:29 PM
I do think his behaviour could improve
but I also think that many artists would get way with most of the stuff Ryan has done without anyone in the media writing about it
they would probably even applaud it if some artists did it because it would show that they aren't merely entertainment machines but human or something
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-16-2003, 01:38 PM   #26
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Agreed, Salome.

This is what I love about Ryan...he is real. He won't hide his emotions and be a little darling for the sake of looking wonderful to the public and the media. He is who he is. I'm a firm believer that when you buy a ticket to a concert, you are at the mercy of the performer...whatever he chooses to give is what you get. I can't say that if he had come onstage in Ann Arbor and told us all we sucked and played 5 songs and then left that I wouldn't be pretty pissed and disappointed, but that's the risk you take.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #27
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

"I am not applying to be your roommate." -Ryan Adams

Old 12-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Ryan is both a great songwriter and a big brat. I think that you can show you are human and not just an entertainment machine without being an ass to an audience who pay good money to see you. There is definitely a middle road there.

BUT, it's hilarious that Paul Westerberg would criticize Ryan. Pot-kettle-black, that one.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:00 PM   #29
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

This is the full quote from Paul Westerberg that seemed to have set Ryan off:

"I see his fuckin' haircut, I hear his fuckin' whine, I see his fake clothes, and then he opens his fuckin' mouth, and all I want to do is smash the fucker's teeth down his throat."

Wow.

Old 12-16-2003, 02:05 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Jeez. Poor Paul. When was the last time he wrote a good song? That is actually a real question. I lost track of him.

Tags
ann arbor, ryan adams