Rutgers-Camden, here I come

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Grad school begins in the fall. I've been out of college a year and procrastinating, but I just got the email saying that I've been offered a teaching assistantship with full tuition remission and an 18k+ stipend and full medical benefits at Rutgers University, Camden. I'll be teaching writing courses since I'm working towards my Master's degree in English. Wow. I can't believe someone's actually paying me to go to school. It's fantastic. Anybody around here from the Camden area?

Congrats. That's a really good stipend for an English program, and health care is pretty rare for TAs. I'm finishing up my PhD in English this semester. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about surviving grad school :)

Congrats on the job. But watch out for Camden.

Camden is supposed to be a complete dump. One of the highest murder rates in the US.

Camden is the most dangerous city in the United States. Literally.

But on the bright side, it has an aquarium. :up:

I've been doing research on the crime rate thing. Apparently, it was the most dangerous a few years ago, but has dropped down into the 300s or something with a 30+% cut in the crime rate.

As horrible as it sounds, I'm mostly excited by the thought of being 45 minutes of my fiancee in Delaware (she's a TA at U. Del.) and 1 hr. 40 minutes from NYC. I . But I don't know. I really wanted to go for my masters at NYU and I got over 1400 on the GRE, but I still haven't taken the subject test for English. We'll see. I love NYC, but Callie is more apprehensive about raising children in a metropolitan area.

The GRE English subject test is so hard! They expect you to have a really wide range of knowledge, and to be able to identify quotes from so many time periods. I never used Cliff's Notes in my life until I was studying for it, and then I did just so I could learn character names and major plot points in as many different works of literature as I could. I still didn't do that well :uhoh:

cruzila said:
:applaud: Congrats!!!

Love your avi! RENT :drool:

You may appreciate this, then. It's like my favorite picture ever.

JasonAnthonywebsize.jpg

My Mom asked me if I was living a double life when she saw it, since she had no idea who Anthony Rapp is.

My fiancee was just kind of weirded out that i waited around 45 minutes to get this picture rather than just taking one next to him. Though RENT was a big thing for us when we started dating, and still is.

I was just really happy. So happy I forgot to point my toe. Dammit.

As for school stuff -

Part of me wants to take the GRE Subject test soon, but I've been out of school for a year now, and I think I'd be better off after reading more diligently again.

And thanks everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom