Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A truly splendid book. Yes, 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' is great, but this is his masterpiece.

Ant.

I really don't like Salman Rushdie's style. My attention span is short and every time I pick up any of his works, a paragraph feels like an eternity. And not in a good way either.

I haven't read it yet. I did read Ground Beneath Her Feet, which was wonderful and long.

I was slightly turned off by the fact that one man I know called the Satanic Verses "The most boring, overrated piece of crap I've ever read."

But maybe there's hope still!

anitram said:
I really don't like Salman Rushdie's style. My attention span is short and every time I pick up any of his works, a paragraph feels like an eternity. And not in a good way either.

I have the same feeling. I have both The Satanic Verses (in Dutch) and The Ground Beneath Her Feet (in English) and after having read both of them I know for certain I don't like his style. His style is very much like someone telling you a story, with all kinds of diversions. But while everything might flow well, it's very hard to keep your attention with it.

Sorry Salman.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

His style is very much like someone telling you a story, with all kinds of diversions. But while everything might flow well, it's very hard to keep your attention with it.

AHH! That's exactly how I felt! He'd change subject and then lose me for a while (I'd get up, go for a swim, have a snack...not the best poolside vacation book)

Back
Top Bottom