Rumored 6G Video iPod...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
February 9, 2006 - Think Secret can confirm recent rumblings that Apple is nearing completion of a completely revamped video iPod that will shed the ubiquitous mechanical click wheel for a touch screen and will sport a 3.5-inch diagonal display.

This video iPod, which has been in development and on the table since before Apple released the 5G iPod last year with video playback, will feature a display that will occupy the entire front face of the device. Sources who have seen the device report that it features a digital click wheel, one that overlays the touch-sensitive display and appears when a finger touches it and disappears when the finger is removed.

Apple has been working with at least two other companies to perfect the digital click wheel display technology. While not all the engineering was completed in-house by Apple, sources have said Apple could hold an exclusive license on the technologies it borrowed from other developers for a period of time, limiting the ability of competitors to copy Apple's design.

Additional details concerning the new iPod have yet to be confirmed, including capacity and a release date, although all indications point to the Spring, possibly as early as late March or early April. During the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, Apple CEO Steve Jobs alluded to a major announcement on or around April 1, Apple's 30th anniversary as a company.

Like previous iPods, sources insist that this video iPod will lack any sort of wireless connectivity, and will continue to connect to televisions using the conventional cabling solution of current models.

While Apple no longer publicly releases the numbers for how many specific iPod models it sells, Think Secret has learned exclusively that during Apple's most recent December quarter, the company moved 3.9 million 5G iPods, exceeding internal estimates and confirming that strong demand remains for higher capacity, higher priced iPod models, especially with additional functionality. By comparison, 8 million iPod nanos were sold during the same period.

Readers will recall that during the brouhaha leading up to the October release of the 5G iPod last year, Think Secret maintained that the video iPod would not be released at the time and, following the roll-out of the 5G iPod, that that iPod was "not the video iPod" but rather a souped up 4G iPod with video capabilities. This forthcoming iPod revision is what sources have said for some time will be the incarnation of a complete video iPod solution.

Damn. You're never done with these iPods there's always a new better one. If they pull that touchscreen clickwheel thing off I will be a very envious person for a loooong time.

...and I bought the 5G iPod with engraving. :mad:

Last edited:
recent patent images suggest the touch screen technologies will possibly be utilized in a tablet style pc. seeing as how patents are just now being applied for, actual application could still be a long way off.

Technically the 5th G iPod wasn't the Video iPod, it was the iPod with Video. In other words, an update to the regular iPod line-up.

The current phasing-out of the iPod Mini suggests that Apple will slot the new Video iPod into the high price bracket, giving us a player in each price range. (Nano + 5G + Video).

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Am I the only one still happy with her first and only iPod? :lol:

I've still got my trusty old black and white U2 iPod. :) I must say, though, being able to have an iTunes interface on my iPod would be fairly awesome.

I didn't want to buy the iPod with the video player because I didn't see the point in having a tiny screen to play it on. But if you can turn it sideways like that, it suddenly becomes much more appealing. :hmm:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
new shit comes out too quickly these days...
yeah. i don't have an ipod yet, but i'm always holding out, cuz i don't want to buy one and then one week later, this brand new super cool new one comes out. it'll be like a slap in the face. like a "HAHAH, you SUCKA" from apple. ok, i'm exaggerating, but yeah =)

Oh no, if they come out with a new iPod I have to buy it :huh: maybe if they don't put Bono on the box this time I won't feel as obligated...:wink:

seriously, I have my ol' non-photo U2 iPod, and then I've got my new 5G black iPod. I suppose I should just make it a Christmas tradition to get a new iPod.

would Apple really replace the 5G iPod so quickly?

Funny. I had this same idea in my head the minute the current iPod video came out. But, really, it's more of an innovation than an invention, since all the technology that would make this possible already currently exists. Touch screen monitors have existed for years.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom