Rum Jungle, Northern Territory Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's safe to look... unless she's edited it. *L*

Oh phew! After reading the start, I thought "I know how this goes! 'I'd spoil the rugby and tell you that New Zealand won'!"

You're a nasty tease, Jen! G'night! :wave:

Not having heard it, I couldn't say, but they've done modern vocals over old instrumental tracks before, eg: Beautiful Ghost. So it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm still not entirely convinced Beautiful Ghost is a modern take, but yeah, there was Wave Of Sorrow, so it seems like something they might do. Some of the more soaring vocals seem War era, but the verses are totally modern Bono, through and through, and frankly the lyrics do not seem like anything Bono would have written at the time, but something he'd do now looking back on the era. I'm wondering if it was a largely instrumental track with just some "oooh oooh"-ish vocals recorded over the top, and he only now decided to add some actual lyrics.

This 11OTT seems kinda slower than usual...?

Hm, I haven't played it in ages, so I don't really remember. It was sometimes played a bit slower at later shows than earlier ones though.

Hey, RUGBY TIME! :hyper:

I'm still not entirely convinced Beautiful Ghost is a modern take, but yeah, there was Wave Of Sorrow, so it seems like something they might do. Some of the more soaring vocals seem War era, but the verses are totally modern Bono, through and through, and frankly the lyrics do not seem like anything Bono would have written at the time, but something he'd do now looking back on the era. I'm wondering if it was a largely instrumental track with just some "oooh oooh"-ish vocals recorded over the top, and he only now decided to add some actual lyrics.

That seems entirely plausible... and was the instrumental part of BG modern as well? I thought it was JT era backing track and '02 or '03 vocals, or something like that...

I'm not a fan of Wave of Sorrow, so I hope this is a better example ... :shrug:

I have a feeling I've listened to this boot before... that bit about CBS news was definitely familiar.

Hm, I haven't played it in ages, so I don't really remember. It was sometimes played a bit slower at later shows than earlier ones though.

Hey, RUGBY TIME! :hyper:

It could also be that my brain is just running faster than usual. :lol: I swear sometimes I'll think a song sounds slower than other times, and it's the exact same studio recording I've always heard. :coocoo:

Should I get that one? :wink:

Yes. That and 5 October 1979, Cork (sometimes mislabelled as 10 May 1979) are the best Pre-Boy boots. All the others are largely worthless as far as sound quality goes.

Yes. That and 5 October 1979, Cork (sometimes mislabelled as 10 May 1979) are the best Pre-Boy boots. All the others are largely worthless as far as sound quality goes.

*opens u2start*

What's that one that was wrongly labelled as 1978 BBC broadcast? Cos I have that, and I should re-label it....

YES, THEY DID THE KAPA O PANGO HAKA!

And the dumbfuck Channel 7 commentator can't even pronounce it. Fucking twit, fire him.

That seems entirely plausible... and was the instrumental part of BG modern as well? I thought it was JT era backing track and '02 or '03 vocals, or something like that...

I'm not a fan of Wave of Sorrow, so I hope this is a better example ... :shrug:

I have a feeling I've listened to this boot before... that bit about CBS news was definitely familiar.

The music's JT era, and I think the vocals are too. I've never bought it into being a modern recording.

Yeah, I'm sure I've recommended listening to that one before. I know Ashley listened to it on the thread previously.

*opens u2start*

What's that one that was wrongly labelled as 1978 BBC broadcast? Cos I have that, and I should re-label it....

It's from various demo sessions in 1978 and 1979. Remind me tomorrow and I can e-mail you what's from where. Rugby has my attention now ...

YES, THEY DID THE KAPA O PANGO HAKA!

And the dumbfuck Channel 7 commentator can't even pronounce it. Fucking twit, fire him.

What did you expect from any sports commentator, let alone channel 7??

And how many different sorts of haka are there?

The music's JT era, and I think the vocals are too. I've never bought it into being a modern recording.

Yeah, I'm sure I've recommended listening to that one before. I know Ashley listened to it on the thread previously.
I'm almost sure the vocals are '00s-era... at the least, they don't sound JT era to me.

I think I was listening a little behind Ashley...

Hey Serena!

So, four minutes into the rugby, 3-0 to Australia. And I'm onto my first glass of 2006 cabernet merlot from Victoria.

What did you expect from any sports commentator, let alone channel 7??

And how many different sorts of haka are there?

Ha, true. There's two types of haka, the traditional Ka Mate one and Kapa O Pango, which was written by the All Blacks themselves a couple of years back.

Six minutes in, Danny Carter does what he does best and it's 3-3.

It's from various demo sessions in 1978 and 1979. Remind me tomorrow and I can e-mail you what's from where. Rugby has my attention now ...

Will do...

Is there any point in trying to carry on a non-rugby-related conversation with you for the next two hours? :wink:

Will do...

Is there any point in trying to carry on a non-rugby-related conversation with you for the next two hours? :wink:

It's worth a try, but I don't promise that much attention! :laugh:

Why is this damn cheese so hard to get into? It's distracting me from rugby viewing ...

Hey Serena! :hug: How are you?

So, four minutes into the rugby, 3-0 to Australia. And I'm onto my first glass of 2006 cabernet merlot from Victoria.

Ha, true. There's two types of haka, the traditional Ka Mate one and Kapa O Pango, which was written by the All Blacks themselves a couple of years back.

Wait, NZ is playing Aus again? :scratch:

Ah, right... cool.

Wait, NZ is playing Aus again? :scratch:

Ah, right... cool.

Yeah, Australia, NZ, and South Africa play each other three times each in the Tri-Nations.

Though oddly enough, there's a fourth NZ vs Australia game this year, I don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom