Rum Jungle, Northern Territory Superthread - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #901
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
It's safe to look... unless she's edited it. *L*
Oh phew! After reading the start, I thought "I know how this goes! 'I'd spoil the rugby and tell you that New Zealand won'!"

You're a nasty tease, Jen! G'night!

Quote:
Not having heard it, I couldn't say, but they've done modern vocals over old instrumental tracks before, eg: Beautiful Ghost. So it wouldn't surprise me.
I'm still not entirely convinced Beautiful Ghost is a modern take, but yeah, there was Wave Of Sorrow, so it seems like something they might do. Some of the more soaring vocals seem War era, but the verses are totally modern Bono, through and through, and frankly the lyrics do not seem like anything Bono would have written at the time, but something he'd do now looking back on the era. I'm wondering if it was a largely instrumental track with just some "oooh oooh"-ish vocals recorded over the top, and he only now decided to add some actual lyrics.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #902
Vocal parasite

Quote:
This 11OTT seems kinda slower than usual...?
Hm, I haven't played it in ages, so I don't really remember. It was sometimes played a bit slower at later shows than earlier ones though.

Hey, RUGBY TIME!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #903
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
If you ask me, the mixing of Cartoon World on the 1980-02-26 bootleg is actually a little better than what's on the Boy remaster.
Should I get that one?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #904
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm still not entirely convinced Beautiful Ghost is a modern take, but yeah, there was Wave Of Sorrow, so it seems like something they might do. Some of the more soaring vocals seem War era, but the verses are totally modern Bono, through and through, and frankly the lyrics do not seem like anything Bono would have written at the time, but something he'd do now looking back on the era. I'm wondering if it was a largely instrumental track with just some "oooh oooh"-ish vocals recorded over the top, and he only now decided to add some actual lyrics.
That seems entirely plausible... and was the instrumental part of BG modern as well? I thought it was JT era backing track and '02 or '03 vocals, or something like that...

I'm not a fan of Wave of Sorrow, so I hope this is a better example ...

I have a feeling I've listened to this boot before... that bit about CBS news was definitely familiar.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #905
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hm, I haven't played it in ages, so I don't really remember. It was sometimes played a bit slower at later shows than earlier ones though.

Hey, RUGBY TIME!
It could also be that my brain is just running faster than usual. I swear sometimes I'll think a song sounds slower than other times, and it's the exact same studio recording I've always heard.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #906
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Should I get that one?
Yes. That and 5 October 1979, Cork (sometimes mislabelled as 10 May 1979) are the best Pre-Boy boots. All the others are largely worthless as far as sound quality goes.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #907
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh yeah, I remember AngryEdgeVocals too.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #908
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes. That and 5 October 1979, Cork (sometimes mislabelled as 10 May 1979) are the best Pre-Boy boots. All the others are largely worthless as far as sound quality goes.
*opens u2start*

What's that one that was wrongly labelled as 1978 BBC broadcast? Cos I have that, and I should re-label it....
Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #909
Vocal parasite

YES, THEY DID THE KAPA O PANGO HAKA!

And the dumbfuck Channel 7 commentator can't even pronounce it. Fucking twit, fire him.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #910
Vocal parasite

Quote:
That seems entirely plausible... and was the instrumental part of BG modern as well? I thought it was JT era backing track and '02 or '03 vocals, or something like that...

I'm not a fan of Wave of Sorrow, so I hope this is a better example ...

I have a feeling I've listened to this boot before... that bit about CBS news was definitely familiar.
The music's JT era, and I think the vocals are too. I've never bought it into being a modern recording.

Yeah, I'm sure I've recommended listening to that one before. I know Ashley listened to it on the thread previously.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #911
Vocal parasite

Quote:
*opens u2start*

What's that one that was wrongly labelled as 1978 BBC broadcast? Cos I have that, and I should re-label it....
It's from various demo sessions in 1978 and 1979. Remind me tomorrow and I can e-mail you what's from where. Rugby has my attention now ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #912
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
YES, THEY DID THE KAPA O PANGO HAKA!

And the dumbfuck Channel 7 commentator can't even pronounce it. Fucking twit, fire him.
What did you expect from any sports commentator, let alone channel 7??

And how many different sorts of haka are there?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #913
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 AM
Morning.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #914
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The music's JT era, and I think the vocals are too. I've never bought it into being a modern recording.

Yeah, I'm sure I've recommended listening to that one before. I know Ashley listened to it on the thread previously.
I'm almost sure the vocals are '00s-era... at the least, they don't sound JT era to me.

I think I was listening a little behind Ashley...
Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #915
Vocal parasite

Hey Serena!

So, four minutes into the rugby, 3-0 to Australia. And I'm onto my first glass of 2006 cabernet merlot from Victoria.

Quote:
What did you expect from any sports commentator, let alone channel 7??

And how many different sorts of haka are there?
Ha, true. There's two types of haka, the traditional Ka Mate one and Kapa O Pango, which was written by the All Blacks themselves a couple of years back.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread