Rum Jungle, Northern Territory Superthread - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #901
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,034
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
It's safe to look... unless she's edited it. *L*
Oh phew! After reading the start, I thought "I know how this goes! 'I'd spoil the rugby and tell you that New Zealand won'!"

You're a nasty tease, Jen! G'night!

Quote:
Not having heard it, I couldn't say, but they've done modern vocals over old instrumental tracks before, eg: Beautiful Ghost. So it wouldn't surprise me.
I'm still not entirely convinced Beautiful Ghost is a modern take, but yeah, there was Wave Of Sorrow, so it seems like something they might do. Some of the more soaring vocals seem War era, but the verses are totally modern Bono, through and through, and frankly the lyrics do not seem like anything Bono would have written at the time, but something he'd do now looking back on the era. I'm wondering if it was a largely instrumental track with just some "oooh oooh"-ish vocals recorded over the top, and he only now decided to add some actual lyrics.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #902
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,034
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
This 11OTT seems kinda slower than usual...?
Hm, I haven't played it in ages, so I don't really remember. It was sometimes played a bit slower at later shows than earlier ones though.

Hey, RUGBY TIME!
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #903
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
If you ask me, the mixing of Cartoon World on the 1980-02-26 bootleg is actually a little better than what's on the Boy remaster.
Should I get that one?
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #904
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm still not entirely convinced Beautiful Ghost is a modern take, but yeah, there was Wave Of Sorrow, so it seems like something they might do. Some of the more soaring vocals seem War era, but the verses are totally modern Bono, through and through, and frankly the lyrics do not seem like anything Bono would have written at the time, but something he'd do now looking back on the era. I'm wondering if it was a largely instrumental track with just some "oooh oooh"-ish vocals recorded over the top, and he only now decided to add some actual lyrics.
That seems entirely plausible... and was the instrumental part of BG modern as well? I thought it was JT era backing track and '02 or '03 vocals, or something like that...

I'm not a fan of Wave of Sorrow, so I hope this is a better example ...


I have a feeling I've listened to this boot before... that bit about CBS news was definitely familiar.
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #905
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hm, I haven't played it in ages, so I don't really remember. It was sometimes played a bit slower at later shows than earlier ones though.

Hey, RUGBY TIME!
It could also be that my brain is just running faster than usual. I swear sometimes I'll think a song sounds slower than other times, and it's the exact same studio recording I've always heard.
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #906
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,034
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
Should I get that one?
Yes. That and 5 October 1979, Cork (sometimes mislabelled as 10 May 1979) are the best Pre-Boy boots. All the others are largely worthless as far as sound quality goes.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #907
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Oh yeah, I remember AngryEdgeVocals too.
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #908
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yes. That and 5 October 1979, Cork (sometimes mislabelled as 10 May 1979) are the best Pre-Boy boots. All the others are largely worthless as far as sound quality goes.
*opens u2start*

What's that one that was wrongly labelled as 1978 BBC broadcast? Cos I have that, and I should re-label it....
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #909
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,034
Local Time: 05:26 PM
YES, THEY DID THE KAPA O PANGO HAKA!

And the dumbfuck Channel 7 commentator can't even pronounce it. Fucking twit, fire him.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #910
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,034
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
That seems entirely plausible... and was the instrumental part of BG modern as well? I thought it was JT era backing track and '02 or '03 vocals, or something like that...

I'm not a fan of Wave of Sorrow, so I hope this is a better example ...


I have a feeling I've listened to this boot before... that bit about CBS news was definitely familiar.
The music's JT era, and I think the vocals are too. I've never bought it into being a modern recording.

Yeah, I'm sure I've recommended listening to that one before. I know Ashley listened to it on the thread previously.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #911
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,034
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
*opens u2start*

What's that one that was wrongly labelled as 1978 BBC broadcast? Cos I have that, and I should re-label it....
It's from various demo sessions in 1978 and 1979. Remind me tomorrow and I can e-mail you what's from where. Rugby has my attention now ...
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #912
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
YES, THEY DID THE KAPA O PANGO HAKA!

And the dumbfuck Channel 7 commentator can't even pronounce it. Fucking twit, fire him.
What did you expect from any sports commentator, let alone channel 7??

And how many different sorts of haka are there?
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #913
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Serena Vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 32.63n 117.14w
Posts: 12,603
Local Time: 02:26 AM
Morning.
__________________
Serena Vox is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #914
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The music's JT era, and I think the vocals are too. I've never bought it into being a modern recording.

Yeah, I'm sure I've recommended listening to that one before. I know Ashley listened to it on the thread previously.
I'm almost sure the vocals are '00s-era... at the least, they don't sound JT era to me.

I think I was listening a little behind Ashley...
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #915
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,034
Local Time: 05:26 PM
Hey Serena!

So, four minutes into the rugby, 3-0 to Australia. And I'm onto my first glass of 2006 cabernet merlot from Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
What did you expect from any sports commentator, let alone channel 7??

And how many different sorts of haka are there?
Ha, true. There's two types of haka, the traditional Ka Mate one and Kapa O Pango, which was written by the All Blacks themselves a couple of years back.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com