RUGBY World Cup 2007 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #61
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:01 PM
HOLY SHIT ARGENTINA WINS 17-12!

That is one of the great World Cup victories, that really is. Full credit to an Argentine team that played their guts out and took the game to the French. The sole try, taken from a glorious intercept, is not one I will forget in a hurry. Wow, what a game, what an upset to begin the Cup!

Group D has well and truly been blown wide open. For me, that has interesting implications because now who knows who New Zealand will meet in the quarter-finals. It could now quite conceivably be France.

If that game didn't get your blood pumping, I don't know what will. I'm glad I dragged myself up before 5am to see that. Where's U2@NYC? He's probably over the moon with this result!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:01 AM
well done argentina, they fully deserved their victory and it could have been more had they not missed a couple of kicks.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

It's a funny thing, but in rugby, if one looks at the teams before the start of the match, during the national anthems, it seems that the team that looks the more intense, the more hyped, the more emotional usually wins. Not a hard and fast rule of course, but in my experience it usually holds true. Argentina looked really up for it, France didn't look like that at all, they looked like they'd rather be somewhere else.

The pressure really got to France, whereas with Argentina it affected them in a positive way.

I wouldn't write France off, but this is a bad start for them and I think Eddie O'Sullivan won't be entirely displeased.

Edit: Mind you, it could work the other way. France could be really hyped for the Ireland game.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I think Argentina will be a threat - I'm picking them to go through second in Group D rather than Ireland, and if they play a blinder, they could even upset France.
Fair play, you called it well.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #65
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
It's a funny thing, but in rugby, if one looks at the teams before the start of the match, during the national anthems, it seems that the team that looks the more intense, the more hyped, the more emotional usually wins. Not a hard and fast rule of course, but in my experience it usually holds true. Argentina looked really up for it, France didn't look like that at all, they looked like they'd rather be somewhere else.
The commentators here were saying that too - one of their more sensible assertions. Whatever hope I had that a change of network would improve the Aussie commentary was quickly dashed. The Argentines certainly sang their anthem with the same intensity with which they played. The French seemed lost. When they did get the ball in the first half, they showed attacking flair, but by the second half, they seemed confused, unable to break the Argentine defence. I think what really broke their spirit was that massive rolling maul from about the 22 that Argentina finally brought down within a couple of metres of the tryline. I don't know how Argentina's defence stopped that force of nature, and I think the French were equally clueless: if they couldn't get through with that, how could they get through with anything?

Now this has really interesting implications. Ireland has seemed vulnerable in lead-up matches, and Argentina could conceivably go through in first. But the most interesting thing is this: what if Ireland beats France too? The idea of the hosts crashing out before even the quarter-finals would be stunning. Personally? Bring it on.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #66
45:33

Australia v Japan at 11pm tonight. I imagine I'll be watching for a while, but I'll fall asleep. Plus I have work in the morning.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #67
Vocal parasite

Considering that Australia A thumped Japan 71-10 earlier this year, I don't see the first-string Aussie side encountering any difficulties. My prediction? It won't be a repeat of the All Blacks' World Cup record high score of 145-17 against Japan in 1995, but it'll be somewhere in the vicinity of 120-8.

Speaking of the All Blacks, a more competitive game but nonetheless an easy victory over Italy should be in store. 40-12 is my call.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #68
45:33

And you think we're guilty of over-confidence. Geez!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 AM   #69
Vocal parasite

Oh, come on, it's Japan. They've been in every World Cup held but won just ONE game, against Zimb-fucking-babwe in 1991. They haven't been that good this year, and you'd damn well expect Australia to improve on the A team's performance. It would be a sad commentary if they don't, as the Junior All Blacks thumped Australia A 50-0 after that big Australia A win over Japan.

Perhaps a more conservative pick would be 100-8 or something. If the Wallabies are worth a damn, the margin of victory should be huge. This will be their easiest game of the tournament, with their other group opponents being Canada, Fiji, and Wales. The Wallabies should win those by about 50, 30, and 15 respectively.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #70
War Child

Local Time: 10:01 AM
France is no longer a favorite now.
O'Sullivan and Henry must be delighted to face an underdog French team
Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

76-14 woah. 11 tries from the All Blacks, incredible I thought Italy really picked their game up after the initial stage fright... not that it did them much good.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Japan

Oh well it's to be expected. A pity Ohata was missing but I doubt he could have done much.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Well, 76-14, always better as a 100-0...........................
Poor Italy, but that wasn't our game, clearly, can't compete against people who were born with a rugby ball in the hands.
Must win the other games, especiallyt against Scotland.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

28-10 England/USA That was pretty horrific, we can't even hope to progress to the next round if we continue to play like that. I have a horrible feeling South Africa are going to slaughter us on Friday
Old 09-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #75
Vocal parasite

Well, what an absolutely and destructively professional display by the All Blacks against a surprisingly inept Italian team. Considering that Italy really should have defeated Ireland a couple of weeks ago, I expected at least a degree of competition.

Instead? McCaw scores after a minute. McCaw scores again five minutes later. After 19 minutes, New Zealand's scoring at a point every 30 seconds. 10 minutes later, the commentators are remarking that New Zealand's scoring rate has slipped to a point every 45 seconds! Some of the tries were really quite excellent. Reading the news reports, it seems the All Blacks were especially motivated by the Italian snub of the Haka; just as Wales got their arses handed to them on a platter last year after Haka hoopla, Italy just learnt that you don't mess with the Haka unless you want to incur Kiwi wrath. I'd hate to be an Italian fan right now though. The ending with the mess of the disallowed try didn't make things any better.

As for Australia vs Japan, Japan played quite respectably in the first half and I started to feel a bit worried about my prediction of a blow-out. It was only 23-3 at half time! Then they just self-destructed in the second half. Australia piled on 69 points in 40 minutes. The interesting thing was the comparison between the Aussie and Kiwi games. When it was raining tries for New Zealand, it was unbelievable and entertaining. When it was raining tries for Australia, it was honestly a bit boring. Perhaps just because the failures by Japan were even worse than those of Italy, and that Japan capitulated while Italy made something resembling an effort to fight back.

And, uh, how about the USA holding England to 28-10! I expected a complete thumping, 50-5 or something. But England's team has really declined of late and I cannot believe they won by just 18 over a hopelessly mediocre team such as the USA.

Gig pictures | Blog