Rufus Wainwright

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
I saw Rufus Wainwright last night and I am seriously smitten. He was absolutely fantastic. I loved every minute of the show. His talent is of mindblowing proportions and he is also quite possibly one of the sexiest men alive, too.

Sean Lennon opened the show and was wonderful. The spitting image of his father, although when he was younger I thought he looked more like his mother. Paul Simon's son is in Lennon's band so it was this weird night of famous icons' talented boys.

Both bands converged at the end for a moving cover of "Across the Universe."

Even if you're not a fan of listening to his records, if you ever have an opportunity to see him live, I can't recommend it enough. One of the most enjoyable shows I've seen in a long time. Usually I am always ready for a show to be over (except for maybe U2) since at the 2-hour mark I'm generally full. But I really didn't want this show to end, and it was long.

I'm in love with a gay man. :sigh:

I like Rufus like I like whiskey - straight up and in small doses ... well in Rufus' case I guess I have to take him in small doses! :wink:

He's one of those artists that I think writes incredible songs, but I just can't listen to his albums from front to back. I think he's a little to mellow for me, but put that man into a random playlist on my ipod (like he is now) and I think he's gold. Solid gold.

Dalton said:
I like Rufus like I like whiskey - straight up and in small doses ... well in Rufus' case I guess I have to take him in small doses! :wink:

He's one of those artists that I think writes incredible songs, but I just can't listen to his albums from front to back. I think he's a little to mellow for me, but put that man into a random playlist on my ipod (like he is now) and I think he's gold. Solid gold.

The experience of him live is completely different than listening to a record. There were some classic Rufus ballads but the show was in no way "mellow." It was wild, in fact.

But I know what you mean, too. I don't listen to the records much either. I appreciate them immensely but I don't listen to them a lot.

I was so excited to post something about the show that I posted this originally in the wrong forum. :huh:

Dalton said:
BTW joyfulgirl, do you happen to have a setlist for the show you went to?

I don't have a setlist and haven't been able to find one. I can tell you he played "Release the Stars" in its entirety (which was great because I love it in its entirety), and select older songs like "Pretty Things," and a couple of Judy Garland songs, and a traditional Irish song called "Macushla." He played for over 2 hours. It was also filmed for a documentary.

Yes, he's quite spontaneously hilarious!

Cool! I'll have to keep my eyes out for that documentary.

He's funny enough, that I thought about being him for Halloween last year, but I didn't think enough people would know who he was.

Between the wit, hair, and fashion (or lack there of) sense he really is quite the character.

visual aid :drool:
479266644_1149245fe2.jpg

He's got style alright. Rufus style! That's from Coachella, not the show last night, but he was equally colorfully clothed as was the band. A white terry cloth bathrobe also made an appearance, and he looks lovely in black stockings and high heels, too. :laugh:

BUT, that's not to say the show was all camp. There was plenty of camp but plenty of seriously sophisticated and gorgeous music, too. But I think you totally get Rufus. :wink: I swear, he's like the gay Elvis.

I really enjoy his music and would love to see him live, but every so often his voice starts to grate on me. It just gets too ... too ... damn, it just gets too much.

I definitely want to see a DVD of his Judy Garland tribute concert that happened earlier this year (or last year, whenever it was).

I do have to say, though, looking at the setlists, he's not doing a single song from the first few albums. I love all 5 of his albums, especially the Want albums and Poses. But it seems that the setlists are entirely Release the Stars and Want One/Two. I'd be happy with just Foolish Love or April Fools and One Man Guy or Poses. Either way, the recordings I've heard from this tour are phenomenal and I look forward to it.

corianderstem said:
I really enjoy his music and would love to see him live, but every so often his voice starts to grate on me. It just gets too ... too ... damn, it just gets too much.

I think I know exactly what you mean. I have this experience listening to his records, too, which is why I was so surprised that that response was completely absent during the show. Live, his voice is powerful and nearly flawless. On records, it's a bit...sort of...you know...well, like you, I don't have the words. All I can say is one live show is the cure because you're too busy looking at his charismatic sexiness to care, and even more importantly, he just sounds so fantastic live.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I do have to say, though, looking at the setlists, he's not doing a single song from the first few albums. I love all 5 of his albums, especially the Want albums and Poses. But it seems that the setlists are entirely Release the Stars and Want One/Two. I'd be happy with just Foolish Love or April Fools and One Man Guy or Poses. Either way, the recordings I've heard from this tour are phenomenal and I look forward to it.

Where are you getting the setlists? I couldn't find them.

In any case, I want a full report of your experience. :)

If you look in the tour archive page on his website, they're on there for a number of shows. Some are incomplete, though. As far as his voice, I absolutely adore it. It's not unsual for me to put on my Rufus Wainwright playlist and just go through all the albums and rare tracks at once. It was a lifesaver while writing syllabi. :)

UnforgettableLemon said:
If you look in the tour archive page on his website, they're on there for a number of shows. Some are incomplete, though.

Found it. The Santa Fe setlist is definitely incomplete. I could fill it out somewhat but I don't know how. :angry:

corianderstem said:

Yeah, same here. Sometimes I can listen to his albums top to bottom, other times I can only handle three or four songs in a row.

Back
Top Bottom