Roy Scheider Dies at age 75... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Roy Scheider Dies at age 75...

RIP.... Roy..

Jaws' actor Roy Scheider dies at 75

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Roy Scheider, the actor best known for his role as a police chief in the blockbuster movie "Jaws," has died. He was 75.

Scheider died Sunday at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokesman David Robinson said. The hospital did not release his cause of death.

However, hospital spokeswoman Leslie Taylor said Scheider had been treated for multiple myeloma at the hospital's Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy for the past two years.

Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss starred in the 1975 movie, "Jaws," which was widely hailed as the film that launched the era of the Hollywood blockbuster. It was the first film to earn $100 million at the box office.

In 2005, one of Scheider's most famous lines in the movie -- "You're gonna need a bigger boat" -- was voted No. 35 on the American Film Institute's list of best quotes from U.S. movies.

That year, some 30 years after "Jaws" premiered, hundreds of movie buffs flocked to Martha's Vineyard, off the southeastern coast of Massachusetts, to celebrate the great white shark that terrified millions of moviegoers.

The island's JawsFest '05 also brought back some of the cast and crew, including screenwriter Carl Gottlieb and Peter Benchley, who wrote the novel that inspired Steven Spielberg's enduring classic.

Spielberg, Scheider, who played a police chief, and Dreyfuss, who played an oceanographer, were absent from Jawsfest '05. Co-star Robert Shaw, who played Quint, died in 1978.

Scheider also participated in rallies protesting U.S. military action in Iraq, including a massive New York demonstration in March 2003 that police said drew 125,000 chanting activists.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:49 AM
Oh, fuck...first I'd heard of this.

I liked him a lot.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Awwwww . . . I think he was a great guy! He will be missed.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Damn. I was a huge fan of his.

He had a solid career. Seaquest FTMFW.

RIP Roy.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:49 AM
I actually cried, when I read this. He was one of my favorite actors of all time, and I have always looked up to him as something of a father figure, as I grew up A) without a father of my own, and B) a cinephile from an early age (I've seen Jaws almost 300 times, to give you some perspective). I cannot believe that he is gone. I am terribly, terribly saddened by this...
Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

All That Jazz FTW. His greatest performance and an AMAZING film. He arguably should have won the Oscar for Best Actor that year, and at least he was nominated.

Sorry to hear the news.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Wow. He was in that 2001: A Space Odyssey sequel, right? 2060 or something?

He was also in that awful Seaquest. I don't think I've seen many of his films.

My condolences, if you were a fan.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

What a loss.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 03:49 PM
*grabs everyone in a group hug*

What a sad day for his family and for all of us.

I still can't believe he's gone. It will be so strange to watch JAWS now and realize that 3 major people involved with it are now gone: Robert Shaw, Peter Benchley, and now Roy Scheider.

He was an everyman. A great actor and someone you could easily sit down for a beer with.

Roy Scheider created many memorable roles in French Connection, Blue Thunder, All That Jazz and Marathon Man....but, no doubt, JAWS was his crowning achievement and he will forever be chief Brody and his memory will live on in our hearts and on our screens.

RIP Roy- thank you for bringing us so much joy and for bringing an immortal character to life.

Hail to the chief......you will be missed.

+++++++

From the CNN website:

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Roy Scheider, the actor best known for his role as a police chief in the blockbuster movie "Jaws," has died. He was 75.

Scheider died Sunday at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences hospital in Little Rock, hospital spokesman David Robinson said. The hospital did not release a cause of death.

However, hospital spokeswoman Leslie Taylor said Scheider had been treated for multiple myeloma at the hospital's Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy for the past two years.

Scheider received two Oscar nominations, for best-supporting actor in 1971's "The French Connection" in which he played the police partner of Oscar winner Gene Hackman, and for best-actor for 1979's "All That Jazz," the autobiographical Bob Fosse film.

However, he was best known for his role in Steven Spielberg's1975 film, "Jaws," the enduring classic about a killer shark terrorizing beachgoers and well as millions of moviegoers.

Widely hailed as the film that launched the era of the Hollywood blockbuster, it was also the first movie to earn $100 million at the box office. Scheider starred with Richard Dreyfuss, who played an oceanographer.

In 2005, one of Scheider's most famous lines in the movie -- "You're gonna need a bigger boat" -- was voted No. 35 on the American Film Institute's list of best quotes from U.S. movies.

That year, some 30 years after "Jaws" premiered, hundreds of movie buffs flocked to Martha's Vineyard, off the southeastern coast of Massachusetts, to celebrate the great white shark.

The island's JawsFest '05 also brought back some of the cast and crew, including screenwriter Carl Gottlieb and Peter Benchley, who wrote the novel that inspired Spielberg's classic. Spielberg, Scheider and Dreyfuss were absent.

Scheider was also politically active. He participated in rallies protesting U.S. military action in Iraq, including a massive New York demonstration in March 2003 that police said drew 125,000 chanting
Old 02-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld
Wow. He was in that 2001: A Space Odyssey sequel, right? 2060 or something?

He was also in that awful Seaquest. I don't think I've seen many of his films.

My condolences, if you were a fan.
Jackass. As a sidenote to you, Muldfeld, I just wanted to let you know that you, personally, have ruined the 4400 for me. Thanks for that.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:43 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:49 AM
I liked him as an actor a lot.

Condolences to his family and friends.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:49 AM
R.I.P.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #13
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Yeah I heard this on TV tonite. Sad. He was 75. I remember him mostly from JAWS.

R.I.P.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just watched Jaws for the several hundredth time. Cried, during the pantomime scene, between father and son (though I have to admit that I always do...).
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...
Just watched Jaws for the several hundredth time. Cried, during the pantomime scene, between father and son (though I have to admit that I always do...).
That's a great scene. RIP Roy.