Rough and Ready, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My local cinema has about 7 or 8 screens.

I think it's a workable idea, at a place with 14 screens it seems criminal not to do it.

The least they could do is show an indie film or two, but instead we get 3 screens of Indiana Jones 2 of Prince Caspian 5 of Kung Fu Panda and 4 of Don't Mess With the Zohan

Have i told you guys about my idea to give cinemas a license to print money?

Classic movie night. One classic movie each week, two showings on a Saturday night. Works best at a multiplex, for obvious reasons. I think it would be a fucking winner for so many reasons.

Run it for six months over autumn and winter so it doesn't get trashed through familiarity.
Cinemas tend to not show classic movies unless there's a special reason (like a rerelease) or they're independent theaters. In my city we have a 12-screen commercial Cinemark theater, which only shows whatever movies will make the most money, but we also have a one-screen theater that shows everything else, including obscure/independent/foreign films, classic films, and cult films. But they're only shown half the week, a few showings per day. I just checked the website. The Princess Bride is going to be playing next month. *tempted*

The sucky thing is, apparently cinemas make very little money from ticket sales, most of it goes to the production company, etc. They instead get their profits from refreshments, hence the huge markup. As for the actual ticket sales, per screening they don't even make any money unless there's a certain amount of tickets sold (at least 20 or something), which must suck, because it seems like whenever you go see a movie on a weekday, there's only like five people in there.

:laugh:

Jesus christ! I don't think there's that much doubling up here.

the sad thing is I'm not exaggerating

OK, elmel, after being interrupted by my sister, I'm back to the Graduate, and I have one complaint. I find it strange how quickly he fell in love with Elaine. But at the same time, I don't find it offputting

Cinemas tend to not show classic movies unless there's a special reason (like a rerelease) or they're independent theaters. In my city we have a 12-screen commercial Cinemark theater, which only shows whatever movies will make the most money, but we also have a one-screen theater that shows everything else, including obscure/independent/foreign films, classic films, and cult films. But they're only shown half the week, a few showings per day. I just checked the website. The Princess Bride is going to be playing next month. *tempted*

The sucky thing is, apparently cinemas make very little money from ticket sales, most of it goes to the production company, etc. They instead get their profits from refreshments, hence the huge markup. As for the actual ticket sales, per screening they don't even make any money unless there's a certain amount of tickets sold (at least 20 or something), which must suck, because it seems like whenever you go see a movie on a weekday, there's only like five people in there.

Fair points. But i genuinely think that if it was marketed right, possibly in conjunction with an eatery at the same place or with ticket and popcorn/drink combos would work.

They already do something similar at the local cinema between Nandos and the cinemas.

I'm just thinking about how many people were at those Star Wars showings, and that was at a much less well positioned cinema than my new local cinema.

The least they could do is show an indie film or two, but instead we get 3 screens of Indiana Jones 2 of Prince Caspian 5 of Kung Fu Panda and 4 of Don't Mess With the Zohan
Yeah, here Indiana Jones, Kung Fu Panda, and The Incredible Hulk are all being shown on two screens each. While Iron Man and What Happens in Vegas are sharing a screen with two showings each per day.

So at a 12 screen theater, 10 movies are being shown. Sometimes it's even less.

I think here we might have two screens for the one film every now and then, but usually they seem to give films a really long run just to make sure there isn't an empty screen.

I know when i was there the other week Indiana Jones was on two screens, but it's probably related to the main screen being used for Sex and the City.

I'm not good at lists, so this isn't my top ten, but these are ten movies that I like.

Ladykiller
Sherlock Jr.
La Strada
No Man’s Land
M
Angels With Dirty Faces
The Jerk
Horsefeathers
Fritz the Cat
Footlight Parade

I'm not good at lists, so this isn't my top ten, but these are ten movies that I like.

Ladykiller
Sherlock Jr.
La Strada
No Man’s Land
M
Angels With Dirty Faces
The Jerk
Horsefeathers
Fritz the Cat
Footlight Parade

I need to see M

One of my film classes watched it last semeseter, but I was absent that day

Btw, how utterly dreadful does Zohan look as a film?

God, one to avoid for certain.

I was gonna see it at the $1 theater this weekend since it was only a dollar, but it stopped playing there today :(

But yeah, after a string of decent movies, I wasn't happy to see him return to slapstick

It's great, I think it was the first 30s movie I ever sat down and watched, when I was 13 or so (still too old to be a target for Peter Lorre's character).

Peter Lorre is amazing. He couldn't speak english so he just learned how to pronounce all of his lines in his first few films.

I was going to put Airplane!/Flying High in there too, but really I think The Jerk is even funnier, I don't think there's a bad scene or probably even a bad line in it. Undoubtedly the best thing Steve Martin has ever done.

Peter Lorre is amazing. He couldn't speak english so he just learned how to pronounce all of his lines in his first few films.

He's one of my favourite actors, yeah. Have you seen The Man Who Knew Too Much, the first version? I think that's the only one where he had to speak all the lines phonetically. He's very good in that, too - I wish he wasn't always typecast as a villain, in the early 40's he could have been leading man material, albeit quite a different leading man to the norm.

He's one of my favourite actors, yeah. Have you seen The Man Who Knew Too Much, the first version? I think that's the only one where he had to speak all the lines phonetically. He's very good in that, too - I wish he wasn't always typecast as a villain, in the early 40's he could have been leading man material, albeit quite a different leading man to the norm.

Haven't seen that one yet either. UGH THere's so much I want to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom