Rough and Ready, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another I'd recommend: Interview With the Vampire. Sure Anne Rice is a Jesus-crazy weirdo now, but once upon a time she wrote amazing movies about vampires, and they made an amazing movie based on the first one (then years later they went and made Queen of the Damned which BLEW [trufax: it blew because the studio made it to make a quick buck before their rights on it expired and went back to the author])

And of course, there's my all time favourite, Moulin Rouge. But that's an acquired taste. It's a love story musical set in a French whorehouse in 1899 to modern pop/rock songs. It's ultra stylized and cinematic, and quite crazy at points. But its amazing.

And Ashley mentioned Clue! :hyper:

flamesdj0.png

Maybe it's because I'm from Chicagoland, but The Blues Brothers is such a fantastically great movie

I've seen it so many times now, and even remade the first 20 minutes of it with a friend of mine, which I still have on tape somewhere.

Hell, I loved the film so much I went out and rented Blues Brothers 2000. Good Lord.

I've seen it so many times now, and even remade the first 20 minutes of it with a friend of mine, which I still have on tape somewhere.

Hell, I loved the film so much I went out and rented Blues Brothers 2000. Good Lord.

I really want to see that. Call it a John Goodman fetish

I found the two lists I posted in the Interference Top Films thread, give me a second

Ok this was my original list:

1) American Beauty
2) The Shawshank Redemption
3) Forrest Gump
4) Clue
5) Love Actually
6) The Green Mile
7) Michael Collins
8) Field of Dreams
9) Shall We Dance (The original Japanese version)
10) I can't pick a specific Marx Brothers movie, and I don't want to fill the rest of my list with Marx Bros. movies, but suffice it to say I'm going to represent all of their films with Duck Soup
11) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
12) Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
13) Die Hard
14) Heavyweights
15) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
16) The Land Before Time :uhoh:
17) Sideways
18) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
19) The Empire Strikes Back
20) The Prestige
21) Saving Private Ryan
22) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
23) Battle Royal
24) Braveheart
25) Sister Act :uhoh:

I think that's as good as I can get it, I've got an hour to edit :lol:

Then after I read through the thread awhile, and took more time to think, I posted this list
Ok I think I've got it right now...just note that 25-50 aren't in order since it didn't really matter :lol: I really wish I could fit them all in my top 25 :sigh:

1) American Beauty
2) The Shawshank Redemption
3) Forrest Gump
4) Clue
5) Love Actually
6) The Green Mile
7) Michael Collins
8) Field of Dreams
9) Shall We Dance (The original Japanese version)
10) I can't pick a specific Marx Brothers movie, and I don't want to fill the rest of my list with Marx Bros. movies, but suffice it to say I'm going to represent all of their films with Duck Soup
11) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
12) Revenge of the Sith
13) Die Hard
14) A Time to Kill
15) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
16) Pay it Forward (I don’t care how much everyone else hates this movie, I just really, really liked it)
17) Silence of the Lambs
18) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
19) The Sixth Sense
20) The Prestige
21) Saving Private Ryan
22) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
23) Return of the Jedi
24) Flatliners
25) The Gladiator

26) Sister Act
27) Empire Strikes Back
28) Schindler’s List
29) Bridget Jones Diary :shrug:
30) The Land Before Time
31) Sideways
32) Hook
33) Braveheart
34) Conspiracy Theory
35) Swimming With Sharks
36) The Siege
37) Armageddon
38) Patriot Games
39) Stranger than Fiction
40) Man on the Moon
41) Batman Forever
42) The Three Musketeers
43) HeavyWeights
44) Road to Perdition
45) What a Girl Wants (it’s better not to ask :lol: )
46) 40-year-old Virgin
47) Thir13en Ghosts
48) The Neverending Story II
49) The Neverending Story
50) LA Confidential

Another movie in the 'whacked out' genre is Being John Malkovich. It's truly weird. Basically John Cusack is a loser who finds a portal that lets you into John Malkovich's (the actor) body for about 15 minutes, so that you see/hear/feel everything he does, before dumping you out on the New Jersey Turnpike. And that's only the tip of the weirdness iceberg.

I just want to know how they pitched that movie to John Malkovich. "Yes Mr. Malkovich, the movie involves various people possessing your body."

I'll just throw together something i'd call a top 10 list - although i'm quite likely to miss something out

The Shawshank Redemption
Return Of The Jedi
Heavenly Creatures
Airplane! (aka Flying High)
The World Is Not Enough
Space Balls
Forrest Gump
Pulp Fiction

Oh fuck, i'm out of ideas. More stuff will come to me.

What was that film that had Jim Carey living inside a fictional world?

I'll just throw together something i'd call a top 10 list - although i'm quite likely to miss something out

The Shawshank Redemption
Return Of The Jedi
Heavenly Creatures
Airplane! (aka Flying High)
The World Is Not Enough
Space Balls
Forrest Gump
Pulp Fiction

Oh fuck, i'm out of ideas. More stuff will come to me.

What was that film that had Jim Carey living inside a fictional world?

TRUMAN SHOW! OMG I loved that movie, and I hated how much people riped on it and wouldn't just let Jim Carey make a serious film

I'm mainly such a Star Wars fan because of how i was introduced to it - seeing the original trilogy in cinemas when they released the special editions in the late 90's.

There's a huge difference to being introduced to films via the big screen vs seeing it on tape or DVD. Hence why i want to see the first three Indiana Jones films after seeing the Crystal Skull.

I'm mainly such a Star Wars fan because of how i was introduced to it - seeing the original trilogy in cinemas when they released the special editions in the late 90's.

There's a huge difference to being introduced to films via the big screen vs seeing it on tape or DVD. Hence why i want to see the first three Indiana Jones films after seeing the Crystal Skull.

I was underwhelmed by Crystal Skull. It was alright, but soooooo family-friendly and tame compared to Raiders Of The Lost Ark. It barely feels like the same series.

It still looked great though. I'm definitely glad I saw it in theatres.

I had to back away from Star Wars. I almost became a really really big nerd. I rewrote the entire OT using a new character :uhoh: If I hadn't stopped the day I explained to my friends how to feasibly make a working lightsaber, I dont' believe I would be on this message board right now.

But, seeing those films in theater was an amazing experience. Truly a wonder to behold

I was underwhelmed by Crystal Skull. It was alright, but soooooo family-friendly and tame compared to Raiders Of The Lost Ark. It barely feels like the same series.

Crystal Skull was a true jaw-dropping experience for me. The way I figure it is the fact that I just never got to see the originals in theaters. This is as close as I'm ever going to get in all likelyhood, and whatever I can get i'll take. That, coupled with the fact that I had no faith in the film at first and it turned out to be so much better then I expected have a lot to do with it.

I definitely agree with you about how it was watered down a bit - and i haven't even seen other Indiana Jones films. The big letdown was it just had to finish with him getting married. It ought to have finished with a smart comment in South America without the added wedding.

I'm hoping nobody reading doesn't want spoilers.

I definitely agree with you about how it was watered down a bit - and i haven't even seen other Indiana Jones films. The big letdown was it just had to finish with him getting married. It ought to have finished with a smart comment in South America without the added wedding.

I'm hoping nobody reading doesn't want spoilers.

The ending made me soooo happy because 1) I only ever liked Marion as a romantic interest in the first three films 2) Shia did NOT put on the hat.

Have i told you guys about my idea to give cinemas a license to print money?

Classic movie night. One classic movie each week, two showings on a Saturday night. Works best at a multiplex, for obvious reasons. I think it would be a fucking winner for so many reasons.

Run it for six months over autumn and winter so it doesn't get trashed through familiarity.

Have i told you guys about my idea to give cinemas a license to print money?

Classic movie night. One classic movie each week, two showings on a Saturday night. Works best at a multiplex, for obvious reasons. I think it would be a fucking winner for so many reasons.

Run it for six months over autumn and winter so it doesn't get trashed through familiarity.

I wish our local theater (14 screener) would show a classic every so often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom