Rough and Ready, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, any subpar reviewer, in any genre, only frames things in terms of referencing other films, because that's an easy/lazy way out. When you lack the verbal arsenal one needs to convey your thoughts, and/or you are devoid of any real creativity of your own, you need to resort to shortcuts like easy comparisons.

Here's a sneak peak at Pitchfork's review of Viva La Vida:

"Coldplay: like U2, but arguably more obtuse. But Brian Eno is on it, so..."

Do you guys like my review of Spidey 3?:

The painfully disappointing follow-up to one of my favorite superhero flicks ever. Maybe it was a result of studio or fanboy pressure (as seen with the unnecessary inclusion of Venom), but this one fails on many levels. Spidey's campy, I understand t...(read more)hat, but the form of camp here (Emo Parker, ftl) betrays the tone set up by the last two films and would even seem out of place in the ultra-campy '60s Batman series (apart from the awesome Batusi). Then you've got the obnoxious performances by Maguire and Dunst, who play everything with such melodrama and pomp that it's hard to take anything seriously. Now this could be tied back to the poor screenplay, which tries to weave as many plot threads into the story as humanly possible, not leaving enough space for character development. Harry's vendetta against Peter is undercut by his "Harrison Ford in 'Regarding Henry'"-level mental retardation which has to battle for space against the Gwen/MJ/Peter, Harry/MJ/Peter, and Eddie/Gwen/Peter love triangles, Sandman/Uncle Ben storyline, and Symbiote/Emo Peter/Venom storylines. Some of these elements worked (Sandman, Harry/Peter/MJ, and parts of the Symbiote storyline), while the others fell flat - it's a mixed bag.

Ultimately, what would be a great collection of ideas to stretch into 2 or more films is derailed by jamming them all into one sloppy 2-hour package, leaving the series with little choice but to change directions. Currently, Spidey 4 and 5 are being developed by Raimi and Zodiac scriptwriter James Vanderbilt, but no one's sure if Raimi will pull out of directing like Tim Burton did after 'Batman Returns' and serve as producer or if the full cast will return. With the competition coming from the new series of films being developed by Marvel Studios, Nolan's 'Batman' series, and Snyder's 'Watchmen' adaptation, the 'Spidey' series would need to do something fast to reclaim its title as the premier superhero franchise of the 21st century.

**1/2 stars out of *****

It's at least entertaining in some ways for the right reasons, but a good time watching to make fun of it, too.

**1/2 stars out of *****

It's at least entertaining in some ways for the right reasons, but a good time watching to make fun of it, too.

Well somehow you managed to make me momentarily dislike a movie I really loved, so I would say that review is a success

**1/2 stars out of *****

Perfectly sums up my feelings on it.

The original is my favorite, despite everyone loving Spidey 2.

I'm recommending Hot Rod to everyone. You may very well find it stupid. I love it, though.

Perfectly sums up my feelings on it.

The original is my favorite, despite everyone loving Spidey 2.

The original scores points for me because it's a hell of a lot of fun and Willem Dafoe hams it up perfectly, but I think the 2nd one is the best because it puts a serious spin on the story (Peter's struggle with maintaining a personal life and fighting crime, literally and emotionally) and gets better in the action department.

I need to figure out what I'm reviewing next. It's got to be an album I'm more critical of than the first two. I'm thinking "The Wall."

Yeah, I encourage that choice. I did an insanely long review of that one on my old account, but it's long gone now.

I'm doing Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic and The Stone Roses' debut next. I just reviewed the new Weezer album the other day.

"Do you find me undesirable?"

"Oh no Mrs. Robinson, I think you're the most attractive of all my parents friends."

This movie is fantastic :lmao:

The original scores points for me because it's a hell of a lot of fun and Willem Dafoe hams it up perfectly, but I think the 2nd one is the best because it puts a serious spin on the story (Peter's struggle with maintaining a personal life and fighting crime, literally and emotionally) and gets better in the action department.

Willem Dafoe sitting up in his apartment bedroom laughing for no reason kills me every time.

I think the second one was a bit dragged out, though I've not seen it in a while and I could very well think differently upon a repeat viewing. I also think they pulled the trigger too early on the "MJ finds out Peter's Spidey" storyline.

Yeah, I encourage that choice. I did an insanely long review of that one on my old account, but it's long gone now.

I'm doing Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic and The Stone Roses' debut next. I just reviewed the new Weezer album the other day.

I'm not a big fan of the album, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes over among all the 5-star ratings.

"Do you find me undesirable?"

"Oh no Mrs. Robinson, I think you're the most attractive of all my parents friends."

This movie is fantastic :lmao:

Oh man, the "seduction" is about to begin. That always brings the lolz. I love how awkward Hoffman is for the vast majority of the film.

I'm not a big fan of the album, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes over among all the 5-star ratings.

Can I expect a 3 star review from you?

It would get 4 stars on the dot from me. Not that great, but very impressive and influential, so it deserves some praise IMO.

Willem Dafoe sitting up in his apartment bedroom laughing for no reason kills me every time.

I think the second one was a bit dragged out, though I've not seen it in a while and I could very well think differently upon a repeat viewing. I also think they pulled the trigger too early on the "MJ finds out Peter's Spidey" storyline.

Great call on that scene. Dafoe fucking kills me in nearly everything. His role in Speed 2: Cruise Control would only be better if the man himself, David Caruso, did it - that's really saying something.

I disagree with the Peter/MJ thing, it was a great way to end the 2nd Act of the "trilogy" (well, not anymore) and move into the final one. I even liked the direction it took in the 3rd, with the role reversal of their success keeping them apart. That was just derailed by shitty acting and having too many things going on to let it develop fully. Also, Peter unintentionally bitchslaps her after jazzing it up in her nightclub with Gwen Stacy and an eyeful of guyliner - that's where the movie lost me completely.

Oh man, the "seduction" is about to begin. That always brings the lolz. I love how awkward Hoffman is for the vast majority of the film.

His little yelps were priceless.

The montage with the bedroom scenes interweaving with Ben at home is fucking brilliant. The ending's hard to take seriously after seeing Wayne's World 2 though.

His little yelps were priceless.

The montage with the bedroom scenes interweaving with Ben at home is fucking brilliant. The ending's hard to take seriously after seeing Wayne's World 2 though.

Yeah, not only is the film humorous but incredibly well-directed. Off the top of my head, the scene where Mrs. Robinson's daughter finds out about the affair is a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom