Rough and Ready, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dont' see what was so wrong with M. Night being in it
Me either. He's in ALL of his movies. It's what he does. Hitchcock did it too, just much more subtly. It's not like M. Night wasn't in The Sixth Sense too :shrug:

I dunno, I think that so many people were just floored by the twist in The Sixth Sense, and so they're all judging the rest of his movies on a 'Is it as good as The Sixth Sense?' scale, and thus nothing else is living up.

I still think he's a talented film maker though.

The good thing is, PFan, that you will hopefully grow up to be a good Little League coach.....you've seen what makes a good coach, and what makes a bad one. Who knows where life will take you, but, I wager you'd be good at it down the road.

I'm 158 years old, so things were different...but when I played Little League, the parents did not attend in droves and the ones that did usually were supportive. Very few problem parents. Different era, though...we all walked to our games, walked back home, not every kid needed an SUV to take them to the game, etc.....I loved it, actually.

On a personal level, I never have any problems because everyone there absolutely adores me. I'm old enough that I keep it relatively professional, but I'm still young enough that it's impressive how well I do, to them anyway. And it's one of those situations where no one would say something bad about me or to me. Even the coach I despise the most loves me, because he loves U2 and I play it frequently at the fields.

And, overall, most of the parents are genuinely nice people that are there for the right reasons. However, there are enough exceptions to make it noticeable, enough stories to make you shake your head, and just too much that has happened to make me consider returning next year. I was already on my way out the door due to my constant busyness this year which will only increase next year, but it's been set in stone by the actions of some of the coaches. Hearing a coach, out loud, telling his player that he needs to lie to umpires for the sake of calls, hearing a coach yell at a player for lining out to third base, seeing coaches jumping up and down and screaming because a kid made an illegal headfirst slide into home plate, seeing a coach yell "make a freaking play!" to his center fielder after an error ... it adds up.

That's cool. :up:

I don't like when the filmmaker thrusts himself unnecessarily into the story like that though, that's just me. Mel's a decent actor - love him in the Lethal Weapon movies and of course, Ransom ("GIVE ME BACK MY SON!")

Another aspect of the movie I didn't like was just how fucking convenient everything is. The girl leaves water everywhere, alien's allergic to water; alien's got toxic shit, Little Culkin has asthma. Also, if an alien race is deathly allergic to water, why come to a planet that's comprised 2/3 of that? I mean, come on. Maybe it'd be too obvious if the girl left Dr. Pepper everywhere.

Ransom :drool: Mel AND Gary Sinese

Yeah, it did feel convienent, especially the water thing, but what bothered me is that it took Mel saying Swing Away to get Joaquin to grab the bat and attack the alien (btw when Mel Went "Her last words were 'Swing away'. Do you have any idea what that means" my first thought was: She's a big U2 fan?) but hey, it was still entertaining

OK! Lady in the Water

Me either. He's in ALL of his movies. It's what he does. Hitchcock did it too, just much more subtly. It's not like M. Night wasn't in The Sixth Sense too :shrug:

I dunno, I think that so many people were just floored by the twist in The Sixth Sense, and so they're all judging the rest of his movies on a 'Is it as good as The Sixth Sense?' scale, and thus nothing else is living up.

It's that he wrote himself into larger parts into each one of his films. He tops himself with Lady though, that was ridiculous.

Hitchcock walked across the screen for two seconds - it's hardly comparable to this, I think.

He's still got talent, that's for sure, but needs to get his head out of his ass.

I'm 158 years old, so things were different...but when I played Little League, the parents did not attend in droves and the ones that did usually were supportive. Very few problem parents. Different era, though...we all walked to our games, walked back home, not every kid needed an SUV to take them to the game, etc.....I loved it, actually.
it was the same way when i was in little league :hmm: i guess i was right on the cusp of when everything changed.

I look forward to him displaying that talent again, after 3 bombs in a row.

He's not an actor, not even close.....he should not be giving himself roles that matter/have lines. Hitchcock inserted himself in films for brief periods of time, just the once, and it was done as a lark.

Yeah, there's always a group of great guys working that. They keep the whole league afloat, at least the one I was in. I'll always remember when my dad tried to coach instead of just being an "assistant coach" and it was all kinds of awful.

My father's coached for years. He and most of his brothers coach various sports. He's pretty good. He coaches baseball and basketball. This year wasn't very good for his team due to a mix of injuries and a poor player draft. But my brother did make the international 12 team, so he'll be competing to go to the Little League World Series starting in a week or two.

It's that he wrote himself into larger parts into each one of his films. He tops himself with Lady though, that was ridiculous.

Hitchcock walked across the screen for two seconds - it's hardly comparable to this, I think.

He's still got talent, that's for sure, but needs to get his head out of his ass.
Very true. And I agree about Lady in the Water. It was still good, despite his presence. I wonder if people would be willing to enjoy it more if he'd cast someone other than himself in that role.

My father's coached for years. He and most of his brothers coach various sports. He's pretty good. He coaches baseball and basketball. This year wasn't very good for his team due to a mix of injuries and a poor player draft. But my brother did make the international 12 team, so he'll be competing to go to the Little League World Series starting in a week or two.

That's pretty cool to hear about your dad and brother. Hope he does well with the LLWS.

I vote we kill the next person to start a Coldplay thread in EYKIW.

Especially because they consist of idiots chiming in with "OMGZ I H8S CODPLAY BCOS TEHY SOUND A BIT LEIK U2!!!!1111!!!eleven!"
:drool:

can the same rule be applied towards people who start "omg this dude said something bad about U2. everyone get your torches, time to burn him alive!" :rolleyes:

My Dad coached me and my sister at various times. He played HS and college ball, and his Dad played in the Minors, so he knew what he was talking about. Outside of making me pitch one year when I clearly had great velocity but zero command of my pitches, he was a great and patient coach. Which is kind of funny, because he would often be a little bit impatient with many other things.

Very true. And I agree about Lady in the Water. It was still good, despite his presence. I wonder if people would be willing to enjoy it more if he'd cast someone other than himself in that role.

Maybe. Digitally insert Don Cheadle in there or something.

It won't change the fact that it's a disappointing movie though. Deliberate pacing and suspense only gets somewhere if there's a pay-off. His first 2 movies definitely have them, Signs kind of does, and the others don't at all.

I vote we kill the next person to start a Coldplay thread in EYKIW.

Especially because they consist of idiots chiming in with "OMGZ I H8S CODPLAY BCOS TEHY SOUND A BIT LEIK U2!!!!1111!!!eleven!"

I don't even think Coldplay sounds that much like U2. Chris Martin wants them to sound like U2 but, as he did with naming his children, he keeps failing repeatedly.

That's pretty cool to hear about your dad and brother. Hope he does well with the LLWS.

It starts with districts, then states ... so they've got to win somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen games with only one loss to get to the LLWS.

Chances are unlikely.

I'm kind of disappointed my dad didn't try to coach the All-Star team. The two guys coaching it are literally the worst case scenario, in my opinion.

Now, my ranting over LL is over, I think. Only so much one can say when none of you know the people I'm talking about.

Link please.

It ain't as bad as I'm making it out to be, it's just that this kid is trying so hard to be knowledgeable on movies and shit. Not an indie snob, per se, just totally off-base with most of what he says:

Hulk ***1/2

It's sad this film is hated by so many people. Why is it, that people are obsessed with action so much that they can't stand when a character that usually smashes things, talks a lot? Well I guess it would be a problem if it was dribble and completely pointless, but guess what, it's not! The fact that the Hulk character has a strong personality to him makes him all the more likable and in turn makes the movie more enjoyable. Plus, there's plenty of action in the movie. I thought everyone by now has come to realize the Michael Bay movies of action, action, and more action is not the way to go about movies, but I guess moviegoers still have a ways to go.

The cast was actually all perfectly placed, except for maybe one person. And sadly, this is the man behind the Hulk himself. Eric Bana tries hard, I can tell, but he just isn't exactly the right man suited for the angst and anger the Hulk should have. Edward Norton, who is now cast in the new Hulk movie, is a much better choice. Still, Bana gives a decent performance and doesn't totally throw the movie off track.

Everything about this movie screams great superhero flick, but it's not flawless. The comic book panels Lee uses throughout do add style, but come at the cost of getting pretty damn annoying sometimes. Also, it's a tad bit too long for its own good. But even with all its flaws, this is a great representation of the Hulk and it would have been nice to see Ang Lee make his own sequel. Definitely recommended to anyone who's willing to use their brain during the movie.

Indy IV: ****

Well it's finally here. And of course the big aching question for all: was it worth the wait? In short, absolutely.

Probably at this moment, it's my 3rd favorite of the 4, but that might change upon repeat viewings. The main thing the movie doesn't do wrong is emphasize on Jones being old. If Spielberg had done that, the movie would have gotten old fast (no pun intended) and the audience's interest lost. Thankfully Spielberg crafts Ford's character as badass as he ever was. CGI also worried many people, creating the impression that the original feel of the first 3 movies would be lost. But one's got to remember that back in the 80's, those movies were also constantly finding ways to outdo themselves with impressive visuals. It's just now, the industry has CGI. But even still, the CGI isn't overdone with only maybe 3 scenes total that are heavily CGI centered. For the most part, CGI never gets in the way of the film.

The acting by everyone was pretty exceptional. Harrison Ford still had the best performance of the movie, but Cate Blanchett followed close behind. Her performance might have bordered on stereotypical of "the Reds" at times, but she was still phenomenal, as cold and haunting as ever. John Hurt performed well too, but nothing too extraordinary. And Karen was Karen. Which leaves us with Shia LeBouef. What's there to say about him? Has he ever truly played a deep and emotional character up to now? He's been in I, Robot, Disturbia, and Transformers, to name a few. He's not exactly the deepest of character actors, as of now. Then again, the role he's in doesn't need a truly extraordinary actor. He does do a fairly great job in the movie though, as the comic relief known as "Mutt" Williams. For most of the movie, he's a typical grease-ball of the 50's, combing his hair back constantly. And that really does get annoying the 100th time he does it. But later on in the movie, he gets the chance to stretch his acting muscles a bit especially with emotional scenes involving his stepfather and such. (SPOILER) It's a little cliche to see Mutt be the son of Jones and doesn't really come as a surprise to the audience when the reveal comes, but does give the chance to have a strong bond form between LeBouef and Ford. (END SPOILER) Overall, everyone performed well, but besides Ford, everyone had room to improve to reach greatness.

With the CGI, action scenes became more explosive and intense. The major car chase scene, while over dramatic, was still awesome. Also the scene with the ants has got to be one of the most chilling scenes in all of the 4 movies. That could have not been done easily, if at all, back in the 80's. The part in the beginning where all the crates explode after the car drives through them made no sense, and the whole magnetism thing was a complete stretch.

One of the most important aspects of the movie is the story, and overall it's kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, it maintains the historical-ness of the first and third movie, not pulling any of that Temple of Doom cult stuff, which is a good thing...until the Crystal Skull is found. (SPOILER) The whole alien aspect of the story just seems silly. I understand how it ties into Indy's whole "not believing in supernatural crap", but still, Lucas and Spielberg should have left their love of extra-terrestrials out of the Indy franchise. Everything about the flying saucer and the aliens "being one" was out of place and just an excuse to actually think of some historical artifact to chase after. Or something along those lines. The story still didn't get too destroyed by all the aliens, so overall it was still fun and exciting.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade all are amazing films. And so is the latest Indiana Jones movie. It combines all of the exciting elements of the previous films, providing a fun and exciting follow up to the first three films. Anyone who is a fan of the Indiana Jones movies or of action/adventure movies to begin with, should go see this, as its full of charm and character. Here's hoping that Indy 5 will be equally as great, if not better, than Crystal Skull. And yes, there will be another; its basically spelled out all over the movie.

It starts with districts, then states ... so they've got to win somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen games with only one loss to get to the LLWS.

Chances are unlikely.

I'm kind of disappointed my dad didn't try to coach the All-Star team. The two guys coaching it are literally the worst case scenario, in my opinion.

Now, my ranting over LL is over, I think. Only so much one can say when none of you know the people I'm talking about.

I just remember the same damn kids always making the team, even if they weren't technically the best. About 3/4 of them are, but there's always the 1/4 that rely on either favoritism or pure bribery (that actually happened).

My Dad coached me and my sister at various times. He played HS and college ball, and his Dad played in the Minors, so he knew what he was talking about. Outside of making me pitch one year when I clearly had great velocity but zero command of my pitches, he was a great and patient coach. Which is kind of funny, because he would often be a little bit impatient with many other things.

My dad's very similar to his normal self in coaching, actually. He's not quiet or overly patient, he's pretty involved in coaching kids through, which is good at a younger age in some ways.

I find his reactions to calls hilarious. Usually it's contained bewilderment if it's bad, because he doesn't like to make a scene unless it's really bad or necessary to do so (like the white board towel story). Whereas most coaches (especially in basketball) like to make a scene at most junctures.

I just remember the same damn kids always making the team, even if they weren't technically the best. About 3/4 of them are, but there's always the 1/4 that rely on either favoritism or pure bribery (that actually happened).

That's how they all are, I imagine.

I submitted a 12 man roster for the All-Stars to my father and his other coach, and they brought it to the meeting. No idea how they used it (my understanding is they just compared mine to their own and did nothing more). Ultimately, 9 of my choices made it, and three didn't. The other three spots were coach's sons who didn't deserve it.

Luckily, two kids dropped out and two of my choices made it in as replacements, leaving only one injustice off the squad.

I find it funny that the commissioner of the league has never thought to ask me about it, since I see the players in the league about 7 times more often than anyone else.

That's how they all are, I imagine.

I submitted a 12 man roster for the All-Stars to my father and his other coach, and they brought it to the meeting. No idea how they used it (my understanding is they just compared mine to their own and did nothing more). Ultimately, 9 of my choices made it, and three didn't. The other three spots were coach's sons who didn't deserve it.

Luckily, two kids dropped out and two of my choices made it in as replacements, leaving only one injustice off the squad.

I find it funny that the commissioner of the league has never thought to ask me about it, since I see the players in the league about 7 times more often than anyone else.

11 out of 12 ain't bad.

I usually hated coach's kids and really tried hard not to be one when I was thrust into that situation.

My Dad was at his best in dealing with Umpires, likely because he used to ump while in College and on the weekends as he got older.

I think it's an art form of coaching, personally.

The key is not to say anything early or on small calls. No ump/ref will respect someone who seems to bitch constantly. Picking and choosing your battles (and there has to be only a few) is the key.

I used to umpire and still ref basketball, so I always feels this gives me the right to berate umps and refs. It's become harder in baseball since I know most of the umps through my work on a name basis, but in basketball I let loose sometimes. I've been threatened to get kicked out of a game while in the stands once, let's just say that.

It ain't as bad as I'm making it out to be, it's just that this kid is trying so hard to be knowledgeable on movies and shit. Not an indie snob, per se, just totally off-base with most of what he says:

My main problem with the reviews is that they suck. I've seen more professionally-written reviews on this forum.

I think it's an art form of coaching, personally.

The key is not to say anything early or on small calls. No ump/ref will respect someone who seems to bitch constantly. Picking and choosing your battles (and there has to be only a few) is the key.

I used to umpire and still ref basketball, so I always feels this gives me the right to berate umps and refs. It's become harder in baseball since I know most of the umps through my work on a name basis, but in basketball I let loose sometimes. I've been threatened to get kicked out of a game while in the stands once, let's just say that.

I always try to be nice to the umps in my softball leagues....this way, when I do complain or point something out, they know damn well it's not whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom