Rough and Ready, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan, am I the only person on the planet that tought Lady in the Water was okay? I mean, it wasn't amaaaazing or anything, but I thought it was good. And not just because the apartment complex in the movie was almost exactly like mine, just bigger. No mermaid-spirit-muses in our pool though, just the occasional frog.
i can't remember if my mom liked it or not. she always sees mister shamaladingdong's movies. she's a glutton for punishment, i guess.

Since the Graduate (which btw elmel I passed out watching last night :D ) is taking FOREVER to load, I think I'll watch Lady In The Water in the meantime. Finish off this beating I've been taking from M. Night.

nine feet? hey, that's still pretty awesome. better than a wimpy five foot pool.
It's shaped funky too:

pool08.jpg

Thanks again, jive turkey.

I filmed my brother's all-star baseball game last year, and in one of the shots, the father of the coach (a critical, bitter man) can be heard saying, "Oh what the hell are you doing out there David .... oh, David, you turkey..."

The word turkey makes me think of that now. Sort of like how whiskey makes me think of Hot Rod. As does Footloose.

Since the Graduate (which btw elmel I passed out watching last night :D ) is taking FOREVER to load, I think I'll watch Lady In The Water in the meantime. Finish off this beating I've been taking from M. Night.

Hahahaha you carried the torch I passed on. Good for you.

I want to hear yet another terrible review of that movie, so this should be good.

I filmed my brother's all-star baseball game last year, and in one of the shots, the father of the coach (a critical, bitter man) can be heard saying, "Oh what the hell are you doing out there David .... oh, David, you turkey..."

The word turkey makes me think of that now. Sort of like how whiskey makes me think of Hot Rod. As does Footloose.

Funny....

Whiskey makes me think of Raiders of the Last Ark.

I love The Graduate, hope you do, too.

So you liked Signs? Lady sucked, but not as bad as The Village. Hope you like it.

I wish I could like everything, but you know, it just ain't gonna happen.

Whiskey makes me think of Raiders of the Last Ark.

On a related note, I always laugh for about 20 minutes straight when Indy kills that sword fighter. It's worth noting that such a subtly humorous scene is about 50 times funnier than any of the more blatant jokes from Indy 4.

Little league baseball is the most abusive sport known to man. I was in for about 6 years and it was crazy the entire time. Parents, moody kids, intense coaches, terrible umps, you name it.

What about the M. Night movie that nobody ever talks about: Unbreakable. I'm still waiting for the sequel to that one that's never coming :sigh:

There's a good convo about it between myself and Ash a few pages back. I really like it, almost as much as The Sixth Sense, but it's not a self-contained story like its predecessor, you know?

Little league baseball is the most abusive sport known to man. I was in for about 6 years and it was crazy the entire time. Parents, moody kids, intense coaches, terrible umps, you name it.

I've been to a couple of Little League games. I haven't been the same since.

I was very pleased that the champion of the league I work with this year was a team with two genuinely nice coaches. I talked to the one guy for literally a half hour after the game in the parking lot (I was sticking around anyway for my brother's game) about the season, and he had similar feelings about the whole thing, including the uglier side of our league.

Yeah, LMP and I were talking about that one last night

I forgot I didn't mention my feelings about Signs.

I loved it. No reason to cover that up, since it's usually a hit or misser. I dont' see what was so wrong with M. Night being in it, and the aliens weren't THAT bad. The only problems I had were

1) The Alien at the party. Are you guys serious? That was so lame. They spoofed that in a Scary Movie, and it was pretty much frame for frame the same scene.

2) I kept expecting a big twist because everyone acts like there's always a HUGE twist in M. Night movies, and there just wasn't in this one. So instead, when the movie ended I was just hugely disappointed. But overall, I loved it, but that may have a lot to do with the fact that i dont' care how crazy Mel Gibson behaves in real life, I will love him forever and always

I've been to a couple of Little League games. I haven't been the same since.

I work in Little League. You see and hear much more than the average attendee when you have to interact with the coaches, umps, and players on a regular basis.

But the money is good and untaxed, and I enjoy the broadcasting and statistics aspect, so there's that.

I was very pleased that the champion of the league I work with this year was a team with two genuinely nice coaches. I talked to the one guy for literally a half hour after the game in the parking lot (I was sticking around anyway for my brother's game) about the season, and he had similar feelings about the whole thing, including the uglier side of our league.

The good thing is, PFan, that you will hopefully grow up to be a good Little League coach.....you've seen what makes a good coach, and what makes a bad one. Who knows where life will take you, but, I wager you'd be good at it down the road.

I'm 158 years old, so things were different...but when I played Little League, the parents did not attend in droves and the ones that did usually were supportive. Very few problem parents. Different era, though...we all walked to our games, walked back home, not every kid needed an SUV to take them to the game, etc.....I loved it, actually.

Yeah, there's always a group of great guys working that. They keep the whole league afloat, at least the one I was in. I'll always remember when my dad tried to coach instead of just being an "assistant coach" and it was all kinds of awful.

Yeah, LMP and I were talking about that one last night

I forgot I didn't mention my feelings about Signs.

I loved it. No reason to cover that up, since it's usually a hit or misser. I dont' see what was so wrong with M. Night being in it, and the aliens weren't THAT bad. The only problems I had were

1) The Alien at the party. Are you guys serious? That was so lame. They spoofed that in a Scary Movie, and it was pretty much frame for frame the same scene.

2) I kept expecting a big twist because everyone acts like there's always a HUGE twist in M. Night movies, and there just wasn't in this one. So instead, when the movie ended I was just hugely disappointed. But overall, I loved it, but that may have a lot to do with the fact that i dont' care how crazy Mel Gibson behaves in real life, I will love him forever and always

That's cool. :up:

I don't like when the filmmaker thrusts himself unnecessarily into the story like that though, that's just me. Mel's a decent actor - love him in the Lethal Weapon movies and of course, Ransom ("GIVE ME BACK MY SON!")

Another aspect of the movie I didn't like was just how fucking convenient everything is. The girl leaves water everywhere, alien's allergic to water; alien's got toxic shit, Little Culkin has asthma. Also, if an alien race is deathly allergic to water, why come to a planet that's comprised 2/3 of that? I mean, come on. Maybe it'd be too obvious if the girl left Dr. Pepper everywhere.

I'm reading this kid's reviews of Crystal Skull and Ang Lee's Hulk and want to go into a Glengarry-style rant on him.

Pfan, it's the kid I was telling you about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom