Rough and Ready, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I didn't really like Unbreakable. I mean. I did, but it seemed to end so quickly. It was amazing, the whole Sam Jackson aspect of it, but....wow it just ended and it kinda left me hanging there.

I should watch Signs I think

Unbreakable was originally supposed to be the beginning of the trilogy, with that one as the origin story and the next two just being the epic, badass battle between good and evil. Because it wasn't another Sixth Sense, people hated it. I think it's a better crafted film than that one, but it's not as re-watchable for the reason you said - It's not a self-contained story.

People who say Sam Jackson can't act need to watch that movie - he's the balls.

I love Macs, but hate the fucking cultist community that use them. Not saying you're a part of that, but I know quite a few.

They probably have shrines of Justin Long in their iBedrooms.
oh no, i understand. i feel the same way about firefox and linux...you mention you don't like something about your computer and people are like "derrrr install linux problem solved" like that'll fix a slow computer. and yeah, a lot of mac fanatics are like that as well. "hi guys, my copy of ms office 2007 is kinda slo-" "omg buy a mac it'll solve all your problems! they only start at $3k not too expensive rite!"

I fucking hated Netscape and IE, by the way, if you all wanted to know that.

worldwideweb was the first :giggle: which came out in 91. ie and netscape didn't come out till 95. there were a few in between too: List of web browsers

:giggle: When I was at school (I'm only 31!!!!) we had a computer class that worked on PC's in DOS and then did arty stuff on the little box-like Mac's. My typing class was still on typewriters - not computers!! :lol:

:tsk: Such a reject.....

Oh, and the internet was unknown to most of us.....:reject:

Unbreakable was originally supposed to be the beginning of the trilogy, with that one as the origin story and the next two just being the epic, badass battle between good and evil. Because it wasn't another Sixth Sense, people hated it. I think it's a better crafted film than that one, but it's not as re-watchable for the reason you said - It's not a self-contained story.

People who say Sam Jackson can't act need to watch that movie - he's the balls.

Sixth Sense has sort of a special place in my heart pretty much because it tuned me into Bruce Willis, and no matter what anyone says I really love watching him.

Unbreakable, I guess, I just really wanted it to be more, like you said. It makes more sense that it was SUPPOSED to be more, and it's a shame that it wasn't allowed to be the trilogy it should have been, and yet crapfests like Open Water are allowed to have sequels.

Sam Jackson and acting, I've never really noticed the two not getting alone well, but I will say that Unbreakable probably was his most memorable performance for me.

oh no, i understand. i feel the same way about firefox and linux...you mention you don't like something about your computer and people are like "derrrr install linux problem solved" like that'll fix a slow computer. and yeah, a lot of mac fanatics are like that as well. "hi guys, my copy of ms office 2007 is kinda slo-" "omg buy a mac it'll solve all your problems! they only start at $3k not too expensive rite!"

Exactly. I'm getting a MacBook Pro only to use Final Cut on there for school and college. If there was a cheaper alternative, I'd go for it.

Truth is, I love working on Macs more than Windows. Customer service is always better and it's a much easier interface. Plus, you can run XP or something on a Mac, not the other way around. I'd only love Leopard more if it could make me iced tea or something while I sit.

I've heard the same shit about Linux, but have no clue what it is. Is it a different operating system or something?

:giggle: When I was at school (I'm only 31!!!!) we had a computer class that worked on PC's in DOS and then did arty stuff on the little box-like Mac's. My typing class was still on typewriters - not computers!! :lol:

:tsk: Such a reject.....

Oh, and the internet was unknown to most of us.....:reject:
:lol: the first computer my mom ever used was the kind that took those little cards, this was back in the 70s :giggle:

dos wasn't that bad. one of the first computers i got (a 486 i think?), i remember most of the games had to be run on dos. it had the big old school floppy discs too :love:

my typing class in high school (wtf, this was a requirement for everyone too) was done on computers, which kind of surprised me :giggle:

Exactly. I'm getting a MacBook Pro only to use Final Cut on there for school and college. If there was a cheaper alternative, I'd go for it.

Truth is, I love working on Macs more than Windows. Customer service is always better and it's a much easier interface. Plus, you can run XP or something on a Mac, not the other way around. I'd only love Leopard more if it could make me iced tea or something while I sit.

I've heard the same shit about Linux, but have no clue what it is. Is it a different operating system or something?

It's a freeware operating system that's supposed to be the shiz, but if it's so great, I don't understand why it doesn't have the mega appeal that Firefox has. You see offices switch to Firefox. You never see them move to Linux, unless of course they are super cheap bastards. THe only good I've ever seen come from Liinux, i sthe ability to instal it on an iPod and play game boy games on it.

I feel at this time I should let it be known that I am drinking, just to explain spelling erorrs :p

Sixth Sense has sort of a special place in my heart pretty much because it tuned me into Bruce Willis, and no matter what anyone says I really love watching him.

Unbreakable, I guess, I just really wanted it to be more, like you said. It makes more sense that it was SUPPOSED to be more, and it's a shame that it wasn't allowed to be the trilogy it should have been, and yet crapfests like Open Water are allowed to have sequels.

Sam Jackson and acting, I've never really noticed the two not getting alone well, but I will say that Unbreakable probably was his most memorable performance for me.

Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors, too. Never fails to entertain me.

Well, people fault Sammy J for only playing himself or playing off his screen persona. That's bullshit. Groucho Marx did it, Woody Allen did it, John Wayne did it. Sure, he's not at the same level of those guys, but he's done enough diverse material to not get that kind of shit, you know?

:lol: the first computer my mom ever used was the kind that took those little cards, this was back in the 70s :giggle:

dos wasn't that bad. one of the first computers i got (a 486 i think?), i remember most of the games had to be run on dos. it had the big old school floppy discs too :love:

my typing class in high school (wtf, this was a requirement for everyone too) was done on computers, which kind of surprised me :giggle:

I think I was in 4th grade in 97? And typing was required.

It's a freeware operating system that's supposed to be the shiz, but if it's so great, I don't understand why it doesn't have the mega appeal that Firefox has. You see offices switch to Firefox. You never see them move to Linux, unless of course they are super cheap bastards. THe only good I've ever seen come from Liinux, i sthe ability to instal it on an iPod and play game boy games on it.

I feel at this time I should let it be known that I am drinking, just to explain spelling erorrs :p

Whoa, that's really cool!

The Gameboy on the iPod, not the drinking.

Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors, too. Never fails to entertain me.

Well, people fault Sammy J for only playing himself or playing off his screen persona. That's bullshit. Groucho Marx did it, Woody Allen did it, John Wayne did it. Sure, he's not at the same level of those guys, but he's done enough diverse material to not get that kind of shit, you know?

Well that's just stupid. Or bullshit like you say. Groucho obviously wins as far as that is concerned. But most actors these days try to do that, and fail miserably. I love that Sam can pull of being his movie self in interviews and what not. I'll never forget the Daily Show interview he gave while promoting Snakes on a Plane. That was pure genius

ooh a macbook pro? awesome :up: a friend of mine who's majoring in cinematography has that program and loves it. but really, if you're going into film, graphic design, anything like that, macs seem to be the best choice.

and yeah, macs really do have a better interface. but the elitist idiots who get a hard on for macs ruin it for the rest of us :sigh:

linux is a free open source operating system, yeah. i've never had any desire to use it, mainly because stupid geeks try to shove it down your throat.

We used to have a 386 machine when I was living with my parents!

:crack:

YES!!! :lmao: That was our first one too!! Then we got flash and got a 486 :yes: :giggle: OMG it was SOOOO basic compared to today.....When we finally got the internet, I was running on Netscape until I decided it totally sucked arse, and started using IE instead.....:tsk:

We used to have a 386 machine when I was living with my parents!

:crack:
omg a 386 :drool: i can't remember if the comp we had before the 486 was a 386 or a 286 :hmm:

it wasn't for a very long time we actually bought computers new, we always got them secondhand. when we had the 486, and this is circa 95/96, i was bummed when a guy at a computer store told me it couldn't be upgraded anymore, and wouldn't support a modem. i wanted to go online :sad:

ooh a macbook pro? awesome :up: a friend of mine who's majoring in cinematography has that program and loves it. but really, if you're going into film, graphic design, anything like that, macs seem to be the best choice.

and yeah, macs really do have a better interface. but the elitist idiots who get a hard on for macs ruin it for the rest of us :sigh:

linux is a free open source operating system, yeah. i've never had any desire to use it, mainly because stupid geeks try to shove it down your throat.

Since I want to edit, people keep telling me to buy a mac, but I just can NOT afford one of those bastards. :sigh:

I don't really like the interface of a Mac to be honest. I understand that it's cleaner, I guess I just got so used to Windows I find the adjustment hard.

And yes, Linux geeks suck hard core, but that penguin IS adorable, I'll give them that.

ETA: Edit film I mean

Well that's just stupid. Or bullshit like you say. Groucho obviously wins as far as that is concerned. But most actors these days try to do that, and fail miserably. I love that Sam can pull of being his movie self in interviews and what not. I'll never forget the Daily Show interview he gave while promoting Snakes on a Plane. That was pure genius

I love and respect actors that can completely inhabit the roles required of them, like Daniel Day-Lewis, Robert De Niro, or Al Pacino. It's also just as cool to establish a bankable and enjoyable persona, too. If you can have both, then you're fucking golden.

I absolutely love Snakes on a Plane. It delivered everything it promised and then some (awesome anatomical snake deaths, plus Sam Jackson harpooning a snake. HARPOONING A SNAKE.).

YES!!! :lmao: That was our first one too!! Then we got flash and got a 486 :yes: :giggle: OMG it was SOOOO basic compared to today.....When we finally got the internet, I was running on Netscape until I decided it totally sucked arse, and started using IE instead.....:tsk:

Netscape had that little progress bar type thing in the bottom right corner bouncing to the left and right endlessly until the page was fully loaded and I would sit staring at that thing for minutes like this! :crack:

That 386 we had.... oh man, black and white... took forever to boot! We had like 3 games on it. :lmao: *shudder*

:giggle: How's this for dated....in 91, our typing class was technically called "Secretarial Skills"....:lmao:

True story, or at least so I'm told by everyone in my 4th grade class, our typing teacher got so angry at one kid she grabbed him by the collar and threw him against a wall

:yippie: Yay for saliva control!

:hi5:

Here's how I see it.

The Sixth Sense is a fucking awesome movie and deserves all of the hype it gets. It pretty much revived the "psychological thriller" into something compelling and watchable. The problem is, however, Shamalamadingdong had this enormous success right off the bat, drawing unwarranted comparisons to Spielberg and Hitchcock. The guy showed that he's a great filmmaker in that film and with Unbreakable and to a lesser extent Signs, but his writing devolved into massive pretension. There's nothing wrong with director cameos if they're bit parts or something, but when it's something on the level of "the guy who caused his wife's accident" in Signs or "the guy who writes the single-most important novel in the history of mankind" in Lady in the Water, it gets ridiculous. Hell, even one of my favorite guys Quentin Tarantino does the same thing, but maybe he didn't have the budget to hire another actor? I don't know. I thought The Village was just a misstep in his career, and that he would learn from his mistakes of the "twist ending" and terribly stilted and uneven performances.

The point is, Shamalamadingdong's skills and street cred with critics and the viewing public have only declined since his first feature, and now his career's actually at the breaking point. It stinks, because the guys' not talent, but his massive ego and refusal to not take himself so goddamn seriously will be his downfall. It's almost like a Greek tragedy, hubris and all.

I do love Unbreakable and wish it was more successful. Either the massive success of The Sixth Sense or the box office failure of Unbreakable changed the guy, definitely for the worst.

Completely agree.

April, how was your sexy evening?

Haha... Not so sexy, but nice. Sometimes nice is good. :)

:wave: hey april! that's good to hear he's not a spitter :giggle:

I was so relieved, let me tell you... :lol:

tons of homework to get to tomorrow and no motivation to do it, but I should get to sleep all the same. Night!

I love and respect actors that can completely inhabit the roles required of them, like Daniel Day-Lewis, Robert De Niro, or Al Pacino. It's also just as cool to establish a bankable and enjoyable persona, too. If you can have both, then you're fucking golden.

I absolutely love Snakes on a Plane. It delivered everything it promised and then some (awesome anatomical snake deaths, plus Sam Jackson harpooning a snake. HARPOONING A SNAKE.).

I own Snakes on a Plane, but I still haven't seen it. Now I don't know whether to watch that or Signs.

I love the idea of the completely inhabiting of roles, But I hate it sometimes when they take it too far. Like the one actor, (I don't recall who it was at the moment) who was supposed to play a relly sleezy character, so he decided to just not shower for a few days to get into character. Come on guys, make up can do that job just as well

Yeah, I'm trying to go the film route - either editing, directing, or cinematography. Like you said, Macs seem to be the best choice for me right now. I've been clamoring for one since I first started using them at school about 3-4 years ago.

I'm kind of knowledgeable about computers, but have never understood Linux. Thanks for kind of explaining it to me. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom