Rough and Ready, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not now, nor will I ever understand the appeal of Ashton Kutcher. I dont' even find him attractvie

Signs was pretty good though!

I thought Signs was weak, but, there were two moments that stick with me:

1) Early on, they hear something out in the corn field, and look out of their house....and there is no breeze, but one of the swings is gently rocking back and forth...eerie.

2) They are in the basement watching CNN, and CNN shows an alien sighting in Mexico, which makes the family recoil in shock....that hit me hard cos it seemed real...imagine sitting and watching the news during such a crisis and getting your very first look at extraterrestrial life....

The best is how Cameron Crowe had to basically fire him from Elizabethtown. Not that the film turned out all that well, but he was just that bad of an "actor".
ha, i did not know that. i've never seen that movie, though. it looked like shit when i saw the trailers for it when it came out. it's pretty low on my list of movies to see.

Here's how I see it.

The Sixth Sense is a fucking awesome movie and deserves all of the hype it gets. It pretty much revived the "psychological thriller" into something compelling and watchable. The problem is, however, Shamalamadingdong had this enormous success right off the bat, drawing unwarranted comparisons to Spielberg and Hitchcock. The guy showed that he's a great filmmaker in that film and with Unbreakable and to a lesser extent Signs, but his writing devolved into massive pretension. There's nothing wrong with director cameos if they're bit parts or something, but when it's something on the level of "the guy who caused his wife's accident" in Signs or "the guy who writes the single-most important novel in the history of mankind" in Lady in the Water, it gets ridiculous. Hell, even one of my favorite guys Quentin Tarantino does the same thing, but maybe he didn't have the budget to hire another actor? I don't know. I thought The Village was just a misstep in his career, and that he would learn from his mistakes of the "twist ending" and terribly stilted and uneven performances.

The point is, Shamalamadingdong's skills and street cred with critics and the viewing public have only declined since his first feature, and now his career's actually at the breaking point. It stinks, because the guys' not talent, but his massive ego and refusal to not take himself so goddamn seriously will be his downfall. It's almost like a Greek tragedy, hubris and all.

I do love Unbreakable and wish it was more successful. Either the massive success of The Sixth Sense or the box office failure of Unbreakable changed the guy, definitely for the worst.

I thought Signs was weak, but, there were two moments that stick with me:

1) Early on, they hear something out in the corn field, and look out of their house....and there is no breeze, but one of the swings is gently rocking back and forth...eerie.

2) They are in the basement watching CNN, and CNN shows an alien sighting in Mexico, which makes the family recoil in shock....that hit me hard cos it seemed real...imagine sitting and watching the news during such a crisis and getting your very first look at extraterrestrial life....

Yeah man, that movie really was thrilling for me! Like the scene where one of them sees a silvery leg slip into the grass. :yikes:

April, how was your sexy evening?

I do not now, nor will I ever understand the appeal of Ashton Kutcher. I dont' even find him attractvie
me either. this might be bold of me to say, but i think what saved his ass from being known as mister "dude where's my car" was dating and later marrying demi moore. he seems to be a great guy from what i've read, very grounded and involved with demi's kids. but that doesn't make him a great actor. or even a good one.

and what happens in vegas seems like one of the lamest ideas ever. yes, let's take another couple who want to break things off, but for whatever reason they have to stick it out and try to sabotage each other. where have i heard this...oh yeah!! the break-up :doh:

What did I miss?

I'm freezing in here. But, good news is, I think the spitting was a fluke. (Hi Khan.. :lol: )
:wave: hey april! that's good to hear he's not a spitter :giggle:

:lmao: I didn't realise how all my favourites were so badly out of alphabetical order - yet I still could find anything there in a split second....now I have to THINK about how the page is spelt so I can find the damn thing!! :lol:

:lmao: I didn't realise how all my favourites were so badly out of alphabetical order - yet I still could find anything there in a split second....now I have to THINK about how the page is spelt so I can find the damn thing!! :lol:
oh wow, i don't put mine in alphabetical order at all! :lol: however, i rarely use my favourites tab. there's a bookmarks bar on my browser, and i just use that for the stuff i frequently visit: all my forums, last.fm, rss news feeds, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom