Rosie O'Donnell takes Meredith's spot on The View

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultravioletluvv

Refugee
Oh No! I thought the rumors of Patricia Heaton were bad, but it's basically confirmed that Rosie will take over for Meredith. Now, i don't really watch this show, but when i do i think Star and Elisabeth are so annoying, it's hard to watch. Joy is ok. Meredith was the only normal one on that show (considering Barbara was never on)... I can't stand Rosie...

It's true.

found this on msn.com

O'Donnell to Replace Vieira on 'The View'
Apr 27, 8:29 PM EST

Rosie O'Donnell is expected to make a surprise return to daytime television by taking over exiting Meredith Vieira's slot on the talk show "The View."

O'Donnell's appointment was reported Thursday by the newsmagazine "Extra." It was confirmed by a person close to the show who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because "The View" wanted to make the announcement on Friday's show.

ABC officials declined comment on the report on Thursday.

Dubbed "The Queen of Nice" when her syndicated talk show went on the air in 1996 and became an instant hit, O'Donnell won six Daytime Emmy Awards in six years as best talk-show host. She left the show to help raise four children with her partner, Kelli Carpenter O'Donnell.

It's an important appointment for "The View," which was created by Barbara Walters. Vieira's news background helped make her the solid center of the program on the days Walters didn't appear on air.

But Vieira joined the game of musical anchor chairs that began when Katie Couric chose to move to the "CBS Evening News." NBC quickly named Vieira as her replacement on the "Today" show, where she will begin work in September.

Joy Behar and Star Jones Reynolds, who have been bickering at each other lately, are also members of "The View" round-table, along with Elisabeth Hasselbeck. They're nominated together in the best talk-show host category at Friday's Daytime Emmy Awards.

"I think every agent in America is calling," Walters told The Associated Press shortly after Vieira's departure was announced on April 6.

O'Donnell has acted in a variety of movie, TV and stage shows, including the films "A League of Their Own" and "Sleepless in Seattle," and "Grease" on Broadway.

She should have no problem holding her own with the other ladies on "The View." Since leaving daytime television, O'Donnell has become a strong advocate of gay and lesbian marriage and adoption. With her partner, she operates a cruise line for gay and lesbian families that was recently featured in an HBO movie.

:ohmy: I used to love Rosie back in the day when she had her talk show. Since that ended, she's just grated on my nerves.

I never watch The View, but that's an interesting choice. :huh:

Haha that should be interesting considering Rosie's comments about Star Jones' weight loss-how she shouldn't be evasive about gastric bypass. I swear she made some sort of comments about that, maybe I'm wrong. Rosie should be clashing w/ her and with Republican apologist Elizabeth. Good times :wink:

I like Joy, I like how she's the only one who will stand up to Star and how that drives Star crazy. The View is a guilty pleasure of mine when I can watch it.

Exactly! I don't watch the show (tooo much estrogen for me!) but it ought to be awesome to see the crap Rosie will shovel to Starzilla! Yay! :applaud:

I've only attempted to watch a couple times but found Star to be so annoying - now the show will be even more annoying with both Rosie and Star - but would be kinda cool to see them go at each other

:giggle:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Haha that should be interesting considering Rosie's comments about Star Jones' weight loss-how she shouldn't be evasive about gastric bypass. I swear she made some sort of comments about that, maybe I'm wrong. Rosie should be clashing w/ her and with Republican apologist Elizabeth. Good times :wink:

Oooh yeah, i forgot about that! This may be a good choice after all. Rosie and Joy vs. Star and Elisabeth! i love it! :lol:

accdg to Fox News site

Rosie O’Donnell’s new mega contract with ABC has one absolute proviso: the former talk show queen cannot cut her hair.

You may recall there was an uproar toward the end of Rosie’s run as a syndicated talk show host because she chopped off her locks to emulate Culture Club songstress Helen Terry.

O’Donnell’s enemies at Gruner + Jahr Publishing even used the wedge hair cut against her when they sued her for a million bucks after shutting down the “Rosie” magazine. They lost that battle. But ABC apparently wants Rosie to look as glamorous as possible when she sits down on “The View” among Joy Behar, Star Jones, and Debbie Hasselbeck.

And what about that table? O’Donnell tells me she will more than likely not sit at the far left, taking Meredith Vieira’s old chair. When “The View” returns in September from August reruns, the stage will likely be redesigned so Rosie is sitting in the middle.

“And there’ll be a curtain on that table,” O’Donnell quipped.

You may wonder when and how this arrangement with "The View" came about. I was not surprised to be told that it all occurred on the night that HBO screened Rosie and her partner Kelli’s documentary about their gay family cruise line about a month ago. I distinctly recall Barbara Walters coming out of the screening room, wiping tears from her eyes. It was quite obvious as the mother of an adopted daughter, she was incredibly moved.

Apparently, on the spot Walters asked O’Donnell if she’d be interested in taking Vieira’s job should the latter bolt for the Today Show. Rosie didn’t believe it, and responded, “Sure. Call me.”

And that’s what Walters did the minute she knew for certain that Vieira was leaving "The View." It was a smart choice, because O’Donnell’s empathy and sincerity radiate from the television set. At the same time, she doesn’t suffer fools gladly. If nothing else, “The View” will become appointment television, edgy and worth watching—particularly if O’Donnell and Hasselbeck, who has identified herself as right wing—tangle on issues involving gay parenting, adoption, abortion, etc.

Joining “The View,” O’Donnell says, will also be ideal for two other reasons: she can leave the city by 12:30 pm and be home with her kids when they return from school. And she’s not carrying an entire show on her back. She has co-hosts who will help with the burden of a five times a week live broadcast.

“She wants to play with friends,” says a source. And now she’ll get to do that.

I hope this isn't true, I was looking forward to the fights :corn:

Page Six

May 9, 2006 -- Star Jones Reynolds has been told to hitch up her hefty wagonload of freebies and waddle off into the sunset, sources say.

ABC will announce this week that the big-boned talking head is out at "The View," a source close to the inner workings of the late-morning gabfest tells Page Six. What network brass won't say is that she's being unceremoniously ousted at the direct behest of the show's grand dame Barbara Walters and the incoming Rosie O'Donnell.

"It was always Rosie's condition of joining the show, and Barbara agreed to those conditions from the outset," our source said. The network and Jones are now concocting a face-saving scenario in which Jones will be touted as moving on to pursue important new projects.

Jones' camp yesterday denied the blustery babbler is going anywhere. "It's 100 percent not true. Where are you hearing this?" a rep for Jones said. A "View" flack echoed that. But those denials come on the heels of reports that Oprah Winfrey's best friend, Gayle King, may be in line to take over Jones' chair on the kitschy coffee klatch.

And while publicly, the show says Jones is "welcome" to remain on "The View" as long as she wants, insiders confirmed late last week that her agents are quietly shopping around for a new job for her.

There's been bad blood on the set, particularly with co-host Joy Behar. Star was secretly dubbed "Bridezilla" two years ago after she took untold freebies from wedding suppliers in exchange for plugs on the show.

And she threw a hissy fit when ABC suits banned her from plugging Payless shoes, which paid for her endorsement. Recently, Jones enraged Walters and her crew by bragging about her dramatic weight loss while refusing to confirm that she'd undergone gastic bypass surgery to achieve it.

How Jones' star has fallen - just a few weeks ago, she had hoped to succeed Meredith Vieira as the moderator of the crew.

But Walters wasn't going to let that happen because "she hates her. Really can't stand her," a source told us last week. O'Donnell was recruited quickly after Vieira announced she was jumping to "Today."

MrsSpringsteen said:
I hope this isn't true, I was looking forward to the fights :corn:

Page Six

May 9, 2006 -- Star Jones Reynolds has been told to hitch up her hefty wagonload of freebies and waddle off into the sunset, sources say.

ABC will announce this week that the big-boned talking head is out at "The View," a source close to the inner workings of the late-morning gabfest tells Page Six. What network brass won't say is that she's being unceremoniously ousted at the direct behest of the show's grand dame Barbara Walters and the incoming Rosie O'Donnell.

"It was always Rosie's condition of joining the show, and Barbara agreed to those conditions from the outset," our source said. The network and Jones are now concocting a face-saving scenario in which Jones will be touted as moving on to pursue important new projects.

Jones' camp yesterday denied the blustery babbler is going anywhere. "It's 100 percent not true. Where are you hearing this?" a rep for Jones said. A "View" flack echoed that. But those denials come on the heels of reports that Oprah Winfrey's best friend, Gayle King, may be in line to take over Jones' chair on the kitschy coffee klatch.

And while publicly, the show says Jones is "welcome" to remain on "The View" as long as she wants, insiders confirmed late last week that her agents are quietly shopping around for a new job for her.

There's been bad blood on the set, particularly with co-host Joy Behar. Star was secretly dubbed "Bridezilla" two years ago after she took untold freebies from wedding suppliers in exchange for plugs on the show.

And she threw a hissy fit when ABC suits banned her from plugging Payless shoes, which paid for her endorsement. Recently, Jones enraged Walters and her crew by bragging about her dramatic weight loss while refusing to confirm that she'd undergone gastic bypass surgery to achieve it.

How Jones' star has fallen - just a few weeks ago, she had hoped to succeed Meredith Vieira as the moderator of the crew.

But Walters wasn't going to let that happen because "she hates her. Really can't stand her," a source told us last week. O'Donnell was recruited quickly after Vieira announced she was jumping to "Today."

Meow...

Star Jones always scared me, but especially nowadays. :yikes:

catfight.JPG

They showed her place on one of those entertainment shows last night, she had it like that before she married Al. Stars everywhere.

She also has this huge portrait of herself on the wall of the staircase

Crap, no :corn:

BURBANK, Calif. (June 26, 2006) -- Star Jones Reynolds will announce her departure from "The View" this week, Access Hollywood learned.

A source close to "The View" told Access Monday that Star Jones Reynolds will leave "The View" in July and will announce the departure on the show this week.

As a result, the much discussed face-off between Star and incoming co-host, Rosie O'Donnell, will never occur.

O'Donnell is not joining the gals until September.

By July, Star will have been at "The View" for close to nine years, having been a part of the show since its inception in August 1997.

Barbara Walters, creator of "The View" and Star'sfellow co-host, did not return Access' calls for comment.

Back
Top Bottom