Rosie O'Donnell takes Meredith's spot on The View - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 PM
gawker.com has the video if anyone's interested

The Associated Press

Updated: 6:42 p.m. ET June 27, 2006

NEW YORK - The gloves are off for the women on “The View.”

Creator Barbara Walters said she was “betrayed” by Star Jones Reynolds’ surprise on-air announcement of her exit from the daytime talk show Tuesday. Reynolds said in a magazine interview she felt she was fired.

Either way, the “help wanted” sign is up again at the show, months after it was announced that Rosie O’Donnell was replacing Meredith Vieira as a cast member in the fall.

Reynolds’ exit had been rumored for months, intensifying Tuesday after reports on “Access Hollywood” and in the New York tabloids that an announcement would be coming soon.

Still, Walters said she was taken by complete surprise when Reynolds announced her departure after the first commercial break on Tuesday. The announcement had been planned for Thursday, she said.

“I love Star and I was trying to do everything I possibly could — up until this morning when I was betrayed — to protect her,” Walters told The Associated Press.

Walters also said she wasn’t aware until she got off the air of Reynolds’ People magazine interview. Reynolds, one of the original cast members when the show started nine years ago, said: “I feel like I was fired.”

That seems to be the case. Walters said ABC network chiefs had decided last fall not to renew Reynolds’ contract because its research showed that Reynolds’ dramatic weight loss and 2004 wedding to banker Al Reynolds had turned viewers off. Reynolds had been criticized for a Web site that promoted companies that donated items for the wedding party’s gift bags.

“We tried to talk them out of it,” Walters said, “and we tried to give Star time to redeem herself in the eyes of the audience, and the research just kept getting worse.”

Reynolds’ spokesman, Brad Zeifman, said she would not comment beyond a prepared statement that did not address these issues.

Walters said Reynolds had known for several months that she would not be coming back, before Vieira’s announcement in April that she was leaving.

“I would have loved for Star to have left and not said ‘I was fired,’ and not make it look like the program was somehow being cruel to her,” she said.

O’Donnell’s hiring had nothing to do with the decision, she said. That April announcement had led to widespread speculation over whether O’Donnell and Reynolds could co-exist. O’Donnell had made several caustic remarks about Reynolds, saying that it was dishonest for her to talk about losing more than 100 pounds through diet and exercise without talking about gastric bypass surgery.

On the show Tuesday, Reynolds told the audience that “The View” had decided to move in a new direction.

“I’m not sure what the future holds,” she said. “But I’m absolutely sure who holds the future.”

Comic Joy Behar looked like she was shocked.

“Who am I going to fight with?” Behar said.

Reynolds replied: “Something tells me you will have somebody to fight with.”

Old 06-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 01:15 PM
DAMN IT!!! I turned it off after the first commercial thinking that Star would not announce it today. Anywho...this show is lame. I give it six months.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:05 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:15 AM
For those that missed the big announcement:

http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e87263Y9d4PDkW
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Do you think they are all saying "fake bitch shut up" in their heads or what...that was the most candy coated crap ever!

Hey Star....

Hey The View.....
Old 06-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

All this fuss over a show hardly anyone watches anyway. They were probably counting on the Rosie-Star fued to garner some high ratings, but even that would've fizzled out eventually.

What a shame...
Old 06-28-2006, 01:07 AM   #36
Refugee

on Perezhilton:

As we reported in great detail, Star Jones announced her departure from The View yesterday; a move that was widely anticipated.

No one, however, was prepared for Starzilla's tell-all to People magazine, where she blabbed that Barbara Walters fired her by not renewing the former lawyer's contract.

This was a bit of a shock, especially considering that Walters had said publicly that Jones was welcome on The View for as long as she'd like, and she was expected to stay on for at least a few more weeks - until the middle of July.

However, in light of Star's People article, Barbara and ABC have told Jones-Reynold to leave now.

According to a source close to Jones Reynolds (probably her publicist), "ABC has asked her not to return to the View tomorrow morning."

A source close to the show confirmed that Star had been asked not to return.

It's on!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #37
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

If everyone of these women (Rosie, Star, Barbara Walters, etc) disappeared into a black hole, I think the world would be a better place. They hould bring back that party girl blonde that used to be on. She was cool.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

BREAKING NEWS FROM GAWKER:

An unconfirmed source tells us that Star Jones has refused to get into her towncar this morning, sent to her every day so that she may gracefully get to The View’s studios. But Star’s having none of that, apparently. And now, at 11 AM, Barbara Walters has started the show solo, explaining that Star has known for months that producers were not renewing her contract, and because of her decision to tell People that she was “fired,” there will be no mid-July farewells, no teary, nostalgic montages. Bitch ain’t never coming back.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #39
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2SavesTheWorld
BREAKING NEWS FROM GAWKER:

An unconfirmed source tells us that Star Jones has refused to get into her towncar this morning, sent to her every day so that she may gracefully get to The View’s studios. But Star’s having none of that, apparently. And now, at 11 AM, Barbara Walters has started the show solo, explaining that Star has known for months that producers were not renewing her contract, and because of her decision to tell People that she was “fired,” there will be no mid-July farewells, no teary, nostalgic montages. Bitch ain’t never coming back.
Not that breaking, look 2 posts up. It came out last night that she would not be returning.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes. I can read. Thank you.

This post was in reference to her refusing to get in the car this morning for the show and it also referenced what Barbara Walters said on the show as it was happening. Unless I am mistaken, this information was not announced last night.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #41
Refugee

but like I said it came out last night that she was not going to be returning so I don't think it is that much of a surprise.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Right. I wasn't actually SURPRISED by it.

I copied and pasted something.

Anyway, you get the props for having the first story. I was just adding to it.

This is Babawawa this morning:

http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html?v=e87651ZXN3x4hs
Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #43
Refugee

I was looking for that vid. Thanks.

(i wasn't looking for props) :P

It bugs me how Barbra says Star didn't give them a warning yet did they warn her that they were not going to renew her contract? They wanted Star to announce it when it was good for them.

Oh well I wasn't a fan of hers anyway. Just wanted to see her and Rosie get into a cat fight.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You mean this video wasn't released last night?!?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #45
Refugee

oh my you are sensitive.