Rosie O'Donnell takes Meredith's spot on The View

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gawker.com has the video if anyone's interested

The Associated Press

Updated: 6:42 p.m. ET June 27, 2006

NEW YORK - The gloves are off for the women on “The View.”

Creator Barbara Walters said she was “betrayed” by Star Jones Reynolds’ surprise on-air announcement of her exit from the daytime talk show Tuesday. Reynolds said in a magazine interview she felt she was fired.

Either way, the “help wanted” sign is up again at the show, months after it was announced that Rosie O’Donnell was replacing Meredith Vieira as a cast member in the fall.

Reynolds’ exit had been rumored for months, intensifying Tuesday after reports on “Access Hollywood” and in the New York tabloids that an announcement would be coming soon.

Still, Walters said she was taken by complete surprise when Reynolds announced her departure after the first commercial break on Tuesday. The announcement had been planned for Thursday, she said.

“I love Star and I was trying to do everything I possibly could — up until this morning when I was betrayed — to protect her,” Walters told The Associated Press.

Walters also said she wasn’t aware until she got off the air of Reynolds’ People magazine interview. Reynolds, one of the original cast members when the show started nine years ago, said: “I feel like I was fired.”

That seems to be the case. Walters said ABC network chiefs had decided last fall not to renew Reynolds’ contract because its research showed that Reynolds’ dramatic weight loss and 2004 wedding to banker Al Reynolds had turned viewers off. Reynolds had been criticized for a Web site that promoted companies that donated items for the wedding party’s gift bags.

“We tried to talk them out of it,” Walters said, “and we tried to give Star time to redeem herself in the eyes of the audience, and the research just kept getting worse.”

Reynolds’ spokesman, Brad Zeifman, said she would not comment beyond a prepared statement that did not address these issues.

Walters said Reynolds had known for several months that she would not be coming back, before Vieira’s announcement in April that she was leaving.

“I would have loved for Star to have left and not said ‘I was fired,’ and not make it look like the program was somehow being cruel to her,” she said.

O’Donnell’s hiring had nothing to do with the decision, she said. That April announcement had led to widespread speculation over whether O’Donnell and Reynolds could co-exist. O’Donnell had made several caustic remarks about Reynolds, saying that it was dishonest for her to talk about losing more than 100 pounds through diet and exercise without talking about gastric bypass surgery.

On the show Tuesday, Reynolds told the audience that “The View” had decided to move in a new direction.

“I’m not sure what the future holds,” she said. “But I’m absolutely sure who holds the future.”

Comic Joy Behar looked like she was shocked.

“Who am I going to fight with?” Behar said.

Reynolds replied: “Something tells me you will have somebody to fight with.”

DAMN IT!!! I turned it off after the first commercial thinking that Star would not announce it today. Anywho...this show is lame. I give it six months.

Do you think they are all saying "fake bitch shut up" in their heads or what...that was the most candy coated crap ever!

Hey Star....:wave: :wave: :wave:

Hey The View.....:wave: :wave: :wave:

on Perezhilton:

As we reported in great detail, Star Jones announced her departure from The View yesterday; a move that was widely anticipated.

No one, however, was prepared for Starzilla's tell-all to People magazine, where she blabbed that Barbara Walters fired her by not renewing the former lawyer's contract.

This was a bit of a shock, especially considering that Walters had said publicly that Jones was welcome on The View for as long as she'd like, and she was expected to stay on for at least a few more weeks - until the middle of July.

However, in light of Star's People article, Barbara and ABC have told Jones-Reynold to leave now.

According to a source close to Jones Reynolds (probably her publicist), "ABC has asked her not to return to the View tomorrow morning."

A source close to the show confirmed that Star had been asked not to return.

It's on!!!!

If everyone of these women (Rosie, Star, Barbara Walters, etc) disappeared into a black hole, I think the world would be a better place. They hould bring back that party girl blonde that used to be on. She was cool.

BREAKING NEWS FROM GAWKER:

An unconfirmed source tells us that Star Jones has refused to get into her towncar this morning, sent to her every day so that she may gracefully get to The View’s studios. But Star’s having none of that, apparently. And now, at 11 AM, Barbara Walters has started the show solo, explaining that Star has known for months that producers were not renewing her contract, and because of her decision to tell People that she was “fired,” there will be no mid-July farewells, no teary, nostalgic montages. Bitch ain’t never coming back.

U2SavesTheWorld said:
BREAKING NEWS FROM GAWKER:

An unconfirmed source tells us that Star Jones has refused to get into her towncar this morning, sent to her every day so that she may gracefully get to The View’s studios. But Star’s having none of that, apparently. And now, at 11 AM, Barbara Walters has started the show solo, explaining that Star has known for months that producers were not renewing her contract, and because of her decision to tell People that she was “fired,” there will be no mid-July farewells, no teary, nostalgic montages. Bitch ain’t never coming back.

Not that breaking, look 2 posts up. It came out last night that she would not be returning. :)

:|

Yes. I can read. Thank you.

This post was in reference to her refusing to get in the car this morning for the show and it also referenced what Barbara Walters said on the show as it was happening. Unless I am mistaken, this information was not announced last night.

:)

but like I said it came out last night that she was not going to be returning so I don't think it is that much of a surprise.

Last edited:
I was looking for that vid. Thanks. :)

(i wasn't looking for props) :p

It bugs me how Barbra says Star didn't give them a warning yet did they warn her that they were not going to renew her contract? They wanted Star to announce it when it was good for them.

Oh well I wasn't a fan of hers anyway. Just wanted to see her and Rosie get into a cat fight.

Last edited:
On Perez:

Earlier this morning, Big Gay Al's wife called in to Ryan Seacrest's morning radio show on KIIS FM in Los Angeles and pretty much blew her wad early, telling him everything that went down with her departure from the show.

And, as a public service announcement to all our readers, Perez personally transcribed Star's interview with Ryan today.

Here are some highlights!

Star on her professionalism:
For the last two months, I've come in and done the show as normal every day. I walked in there. I've been 100% professional. I've shared my life. I've done what I do for the last nine years. And, in reality I've known for two months that The View was not renewing my contract and I still went in and did my job every - single - day!

Star on being asked to leave the show:
Barbara and the producers and ABC specifically told me when they wanted an announcement to come, the last week of June. They specifically asked me to stay until the middle of July. Now you know me. Emotionally when they first say your contract is not renewed, my initial desire was, "I want to walk, get the heck out of there. I don't need to put up with this."

Star on Star:
It didn't sound right for me when they were saying your ratings have gone down. I said, well wait a minute, I've seen the ratings. The top five shows in the year you're talking about were about me and planning the wedding. It didn't sound right. But then I thought about it and said, "Don't be emotional. Be professional." A lot of people's jobs depend on my doing my job. So I specifically - specifically - tried to do my job to the best of my ability.

Star on her surprise announcement:
We had always planned to make the announcement this week. We had planned to make it on Thursday. But I woke up on Tuesday morning and after so much media, so much speculation, it was time for me to say goodbye right now.

Star on Barbara being a bitch:
From what I understand, Barbara never told Joy and Elizabeth [that I was getting fired]. Period!

Star on Rosie:
I'm not trying to be emotional about this. I understand it was a business decision. I understood it was a business decision when I was told then. But then in that same week, I was told they were adding a new co-host and it was Rosie O'Donnell. And that was the same week that she had been so nasty and vicious towards me. [Rosie] insulted me. She tried to damage me professionally and personally.

Star on being betrayed:
It's a little shocking to me that Barbara feels betrayed. I was really surprised that Barbara feels betrayed. If you watched me yesterday, I said that she was the most amazing mentor and I thanked her for the most amazing opportunity. My departure was orchestrated some time ago. And while I can accept any business decision, it's hard to accept the manner in which it was handled during the last two months. But, if you use words like betrayal, if anyone should be betrayed, it should be me! Barbara didn't have my back.

She is going to be on Larry king tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Congenial chat show 'The View' turns chilly
Thursday June 29 12:04 AM ET

Star Jones Reynolds, co-host of "The View," was barred on Wednesday from the show she helped build into a daytime television fixture a day after catching her colleagues and the network off guard by announcing plans to leave in July.

The normally chatty, congenial show turned abruptly frosty as lead host and executive producer Barbara Walters opened the broadcast by saying Reynolds "will no longer be on this program, except for some shows that have been prerecorded."

In a glimpse of behind-the-scenes friction that is rare on network TV, Walters said she and ABC were surprised by Reynolds' announcement -- which came two days earlier than planned -- and by her complaints to People magazine that she had been fired.

"So it is becoming uncomfortable for us to pretend that everything is the same at this table," Walters said on the air.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20060629/115156468100.html

Could Star Jones Reynolds's replacement on The View be Brandy? The singer and actress will fill in on the ABC morning show next Wednesday and Friday, her rep tells PEOPLE exclusively.

The 27-year-old former Moesha star is currently a judge on America's Got Talent, an NBC reality show produced by American Idol's Simon Cowell. "America's Got Talent has really opened a lot of doors for me," she tells PEOPLE. "I want to do a lot more TV."

Her View stint could lead to a full-time job. "These tryouts are for consideration for the permanent gig," a source close to the situation tells PEOPLE. "They plan to have a few people trying out, like what CBS did (before hiring) Craig Ferguson for the Late Late Show."

On Thursday, One Life to Live actress Renée Goldsberry was the first guest host to fill in for Reynolds. Goldsberry was recruited "almost at the last minute," according to cohost and show creator Barbara Walters.

Goldsberry will be a guest host again on Monday. Tuesday's episode will be a repeat of a previous broadcast and All My Children's Susan Lucci will fill in on Thursday.

Mo'Nique was a guest host, check it out :huh:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2757123

Comedienne MO'NIQUE is speaking out about how she says she was mistreated by airline personnel over an incident on Sunday, when the actress says she was asked to leave a United Airlines flight.

The star of the big screen's 'Phat Girlz' and host to the small screen's "Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance" (a television beauty pageant for large women) said she boarded a flight to New York in first class when, she alleges, flight attendants threw her off the plane without giving her a reason why, referring to her as a "threat."

"I'm in disbelief that it happened to me," she tells ET.

According to Mo'Nique, a flight attendant approached her and addressed her in a rude and unprofessional manner. "The flight attendant comes up to me and says, 'Listen, you need to let your people know ... if they don't straighten out their attitude I'll have them thrown off this flight,'" she said from her hometown of Baltimore this morning. "And I said, 'No, you're not gonna speak to me like that. You're not gonna be rude and disrespectful.' [He said,] 'Well, you know what, I'll have you thrown off, too.' He snapped his fingers and walked away."

She says that the flight attendants were upset that a member of her support team -- who was sitting in coach -- put Mo'Nique's hairdryer in first class where the star was sitting. After she voluntarily got off the plane, a United employee told her that since 9/11, they don't take threats lightly.

"If I am such a threat," Mo'Nique points out, "why am I not being taken out of the airport? Why are you trying to get me on any flight if I posed a terrorist threat? That's not making sense to me."

"They felt it was okay to mistreat me and pull me out of my seat, simply because I would not allow them to be disrespectful," Mo'Nique says. "I'm angry, I'm in shock. It was incredibly humiliating and embarrassing for me. Police were everywhere."

The actress was attempting to fly to New York in order to guest host "The View." She did make that engagement, sitting down with the ladies Monday morning.

After the story broke, United Airlines issued the following statement:

"The safety of all of our passengers and our crew is our top priority, and that we regret that Ms. Imes felt in any way that she was not treated with courtesy and respect. When a situation occurs on a flight that causes a delay, or disruption, we must act in the best interest of all of our customers. It was determined that the best course of action was to accommodate Ms. Imes on a later flight."

Elizabeth's tantrum was about the morning after pill, Gawker/youtube has the video

tmz.com

Hell hath no fury like Star Jones scorned – especially if you question the sanctity of her marriage.

The fired "View" superdiva is fighting back after reports that she and husband Al Reynolds are on the verge of divorce, and she says she's knows who might be spreading the vicious rumors.

A report in yesterday's New York Post by reporter Braden Keil suggested that Star was telling friends that her marriage was on the rocks. According to one of Keil's anonymous sources, "Reality has finally caught up with them," and another friend said that Star was "heartbroken over the turn of events...She really wanted it to work, and she thought it just might work, but in the end, it just wasn't going to happen."

Now, Jones has taken the offensive, issuing a statement that calls the reports "categorically false" and that they're being "generated by someone for vindictive reasons alone." Jones and Reynolds say their lawyers are "investigating" the source and that they are "very close to exposing the individual who has perpetrated them."

It should be a very interesting August hiatus month for "View"-watchers, with the Star situation, Elisabeth's little tantrum yesterday, the impending arrival of Rosie, and the oddsmaking on Star's replacement.

Back
Top Bottom