Rooty Hill Holiday Inn Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been to Australia or New Zealand for that matter so I wouldn't know :wink:

Your odds of finding somebody of Anglo heritage here who can speak a language other than English fluently is probably less than one in ten. Or one in fifty ...

australia = awesome

nz = crap

Can I be honest and say that I'm sick of your random, xenophobic, irrational hatred for New Zealand? Seriously, we get it. Shut the fuck up. I've put up with enough shit from Australians in my time here already.

A lot of things came out of punk.

Also, trust me to misspell "bear" as "beer". :tsk:

Also also, the break the ice thing should have a walrus instead of a bear.

Your odds of finding somebody of Anglo heritage here who can speak a language other than English fluently is probably less than one in ten. Or one in fifty ...

Okay, well is that because Australians don't want to learn other languages or that there's not enough attention for learning foreign languages in your education system?

A lot of things came out of punk.

Also, trust me to misspell "bear" as "beer". :tsk:

Also also, the break the ice thing should have a walrus instead of a bear.

The way I heard it is

How much does a POLAR bear weigh

Enough to break the ice, HI i'm ____

Laughter ensues

Okay, well is that because Australians don't want to learn other languages or that there's not enough attention for learning foreign languages in your education system?

A bit of both, really...

I have attempted quite a few times to learn languages independently but it's really difficult without a teacher. I might try something easier like French or even Dutch (see, I want to learn Arabic and Greek, which is more difficult) because I just want another language to speak, basically.

Not enough emphasis I'd say, and I suppose it's also simply because English is such a dominant global language that people don't feel they need to learn anything else. Since we don't have land borders with anywhere else, let alone anywhere that speaks another language, that further compounds the lack of needing to know anything other than English.

In New Zealand, Maori is compulsory in primary schools (not sure about high school since I left before then, I'm sure Ian can clarify), but I very much doubt anybody's coming out of that fluent in Maori.

So the quality of the teaching is a big problem? Aren't there any foreign institutes which try to put an effort in teaching languages to people? Native speakers who can help out with learning foreign languages, for example? I think it's very important for people who want to learn other languages than their native language, to be given the opportunity to do so.

In New Zealand, Maori is compulsory in primary schools (not sure about high school since I left before then, I'm sure Ian can clarify), but I very much doubt anybody's coming out of that fluent in Maori.

Was it compulsory in primary? I must have been sick that day. Or it was those two years i lived in Australia.

And there was no learning any Maori in any of my high school classes, but we certainly got a lot of Maori history. With all due respect, how many consecutive years can you reasonably accept learning the same thing before you just don't give a fuck anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom