Rooty Hill Holiday Inn Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can i do it?!?!? i never have before. ill go to bed in a sec.

and the last 30 seconds of EPAA is pretty good.
shame bono sounds like he is drifting in and out of consciousness during the actual song.

So the quality of the teaching is a big problem? Aren't there any foreign institutes which try to put an effort in teaching languages to people? Native speakers who can help out with learning foreign languages, for example? I think it's very important for people who want to learn other languages than their native language, to be given the opportunity to do so.

I had some French classes in high school - one teacher who was from France was more interested in presentation of work than actually teaching us anything, and the other one wasn't a bad teacher, but again the focus was on useless things like presentation than learning words or speaking the language.

Was it compulsory in primary? I must have been sick that day. Or it was those two years i lived in Australia.

And there was no learning any Maori in any of my high school classes, but we certainly got a lot of Maori history. With all due respect, how many consecutive years can you reasonably accept learning the same thing before you just don't give a fuck anymore?

We did a fair bit of Maori at my primary school. Maybe it's not compulsory nationwide? I think we had a specific Maori lesson every week, and certain units would require extra class time. I was actually pretty good at Maori and probably would have become fluent had I stayed in New Zealand. The college I would've attended had a very good Maori programme. Nowadays, I just know the anthem, counting, kia ora, and a few other words here and there.

Oh, we did far too much fucking Aussie European history. It was maddening. I mean, great, learn the stuff, but don't fucking repeat what we did last year. And have more damn scope!

Though Ian, be grateful you got Kiwi history. My mother was solely taught American history. She went to college on the Kapiti Coast!

I had some French classes in high school - one teacher who was from France was more interested in presentation of work than actually teaching us anything, and the other one wasn't a bad teacher, but again the focus was on useless things like presentation than learning words or speaking the language.

Hmm, such a shame... French is a beautiful language and comes in handy when visiting different countries.

We did a fair bit of Maori at my primary school. Maybe it's not compulsory nationwide? I think we had a specific Maori lesson every week, and certain units would require extra class time. I was actually pretty good at Maori and probably would have become fluent had I stayed in New Zealand. The college I would've attended had a very good Maori programme. Nowadays, I just know the anthem, counting, kia ora, and a few other words here and there.

Oh, we did far too much fucking Aussie European history. It was maddening. I mean, great, learn the stuff, but don't fucking repeat what we did last year. And have more damn scope!

Though Ian, be grateful you got Kiwi history. My mother was solely taught American history. She went to college on the Kapiti Coast!

Although I've never been to Australia or New Zealand, I've always been interested in cultural aspects, we had a host teacher at school some years back who came to tell us all about Maori culture and traditions - pretty interesting I have to say. We even learned some words, but I have to be honest I don't know any of those words anymore...

I managed to bail on the class that had American history.

History was at it's most interesting in sixth form, where we covered Europe around World War Two. Fifth form was pretty heavy on New Zealand stuff.

Frankly, by seventh form we were New Zealanded out. Sure, it's nice but at that stage we wanted to look further.

I would like to know how EPAA kind of came into being. Did they hire some Pueblo Indian shaman to come and cast a spell on Bono that would make him vomit his spirit or something?

I would like to know how EPAA kind of came into being. Did they hire some Pueblo Indian shaman to come and cast a spell on Bono that would make him vomit his spirit or something?

:lmao:

Replace Pueblo Indiana Shaman with Brian Eno, and I think you've about got it.

I felt my German classes were more "here's useful travel phrases" than "let's teach you to be fluent". My friend and I were the top two German students at my school. Yet when we had visiting German exchange students, we were too shy to talk to them, and we could barely hold anything more than a basic conversation and ask useless questions.

In grade 12, our German teacher tried to teach a Goethe unit, but that failed spectacularly since none of us knew even remotely enough German to comprehend it. Our teacher was English but had lived in Germany, and her husband (who was a maths teacher!) was German.

Danny, chop chop, we need to go to Westward Ho! and we need to go now!

German is a language I really don't like to use a lot... But luckily it's not very difficult for Dutch people since Germans are our neighbours. I don't see myself going to Germany for a holiday soon, though, but it is useful when going to other German-speaking countries like Austria or Switzerland.

I felt my German classes were more "here's useful travel phrases" than "let's teach you to be fluent". My friend and I were the top two German students at my school. Yet when we had visiting German exchange students, we were too shy to talk to them, and we could barely hold anything more than a basic conversation and ask useless questions.

In grade 12, our German teacher tried to teach a Goethe unit, but that failed spectacularly since none of us knew even remotely enough German to comprehend it. Our teacher was English but had lived in Germany, and her husband (who was a maths teacher!) was German.

Heh, the one German teacher in the school took our form class for a supervised study period. We did not like her at all. We were always excited about the class because it was a free opportunity for us to act up and hope that she cracked down on it comically. It was always worth the 250 word half-arse essays we got in that class.

Hmm, such a shame... French is a beautiful language and comes in handy when visiting different countries.

I always wanted to learn French. French and Latin. Both seem to be awesome languages - and, well, my name is French (it's André). But my high school offered just Japanese and German. We did have a qualified French teacher, but he was also a qualified maths teacher and they employed him for that rather than for French. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom