Room On Fire......FOUR stars from RS!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadsOnSticks

New Yorker
Change is good. It can be important, even historic. It is not always necessary. One of the best things about Room on Fire, the Strokes' second album, is that, in most of the ways that matter, it is exactly like their first. Nick Valensi's and Albert Hammond Jr.'s dirty-treble guitars cut 'n' thrust over the hard-rubber bounce of bassist Nikolai Fraiture and drummer Fabrizio Moretti. Singer-songwriter Julian Casablancas delivers his put-up-or-fuck-off telegrams in a brusque, corrosive drawl, and producer Gordon Raphael wraps up the whole package with airtight austerity. On first impact, Room on Fire is to 2001's Is This It as the Ramones' second album, Leave Home, was to their knuckle-sandwich debut -- a perfect twin.
But the Strokes who made Room on Fire are not the cocky overnight sensations of two years ago. In the album's opening damage report, "What Ever Happened?," Casablancas' voice is so disfigured by fuzz in the first verse ("I wanna be forgotten/And I don't wanna be reminded"), it's as if he's singing over a broken speakerphone from a burning building. Like any good New Yorker, Casablancas is suspicious and impatient by nature. But the distance and distrust in his songwriting and ashen monotone on Is This It were nothing like this. Casablancas sings the title chorus of "You Talk Way Too Much" with cold, dry calm -- the high, mocking whine of the lead-guitar break provides extra cruelty -- and wraps up the brittle reggae of "Automatic Stop" with even less gallantry: "I'm not your friend/I never was."

The music is just as terse and unforgiving. In "Reptila," instruments blitz in and out of your face with the abrupt precision of a Lee Perry dub mix: a single, grinding guitar; Fraiture's pumping, one-note bass; the whole band in full, flailing rave-up. At times, the near-mono severity of Raphael's production seems designed to keep the Strokes off the radio. There is so much boxy compression on the high-speed bass, guitars and drums in "The Way It Is" that it sounds like the band cut it in the locked trunk of a '56 Chevy doing 110 miles an hour.

There are also jolts of color and dropped guard -- hints of what the Strokes must have hoped for in their aborted sessions for this record with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich -- in the whistling-synthesizer guitar lick in "12:51," a cheerful shot of '78 Cars; and the pneumatic, sighing strum of "Meet Me in the Bathroom." But another of the best things about Room on Fire is that, in the face of hysterical expectation, the Strokes have resisted the temptation to hit the brakes, grow up and screw around with a sound that doesn't need fixing -- yet. "Please don't slow me down, if I'm going too fast," Casablancas sings with heavily distorted irritation in "Reptila." If you want comfort and clarity, you're definitely in the wrong room. This record was built for thrills and speed.

i'm a big fan of the first album, and this one doesn't disappoint. i've listening to it nonstop all weekend.

How did you get it already HOS????

Does it come out on the 28th or 21st?

I looked it up, it's coming out on the 21st. Looks like I'll be buying a cd next week :up:

I got mixed up, The Strokes album comes out on the 28th and The Shins new album comes out on the 21st. 2 cd's will be mine.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
I got mixed up, The Strokes album comes out on the 28th and The Shins new album comes out on the 21st. 2 cd's will be mine.

i thot the strokes came out on the 18th? huh. :eyebrow:

Pirated it, listened to it (yeah, yeah, yeah).

Don't see what the big deal is.

Q gave it 5 stars....

Anyhoo........IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO-HOOOOOO!!! And they're touring with Kings of Leon this fall (yay!), so they should finally get their scrawny asses back to Cleveland!!!!

:hyper:YAY!:hyper:

From the 3 songs I've heard, I'll definitely be buying this on Tuesday.

I've listened to it on the weekend and it gets three grudging claps from me, :) They've still got as much personality as a milk carton for all their cool clothes, but they sure can come up with some catchy songs.

I'm pretty happy with "ROF," especially b/c 12:51's the worst song on the album. Why they chose this as a single, i'll never know.

All in all, I give it an 8, w/ the 2 point deduction for a hideous title and piss poor tracklisting.

CD aquired :up:

I've listened to the first half of it, so far I like. :up:
Definitely on par with their last album, possibly better (so far I've really liked the instrumentation from this album better than the first).

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
2 1/2 hours until I have this hot little number in my hands. :hyper:

I'm on the last song right now. This thing is great, I think you'll really like it LMPA. :up:

I like this album

I bought it today and I have to say it is one of the catchier albums around with the melodies driven by guitars. It was more rockin than their last album. Their last album was little disappointing b/c it didn't rock enough for me (and was complaint that a couple of my friends gave as well).

I'm really enjoying it thus far. It is dang catchy.

Well, LMPA and LadyLemon, what do you think? You likie or no likie? I expect a report on my desk before the end of the day. :wink:

Well, so far I am totally diggin' on this!! Very catchy, and a bit more 'melodic' than their last. However, I do need to give it a few more spins before I can hand in my report!:sexywink:

Speaking of SPIN, I just got my new issue in the mail. They have 5 different collectors issues, with each guy on a cover. Mine came with Fab. I'll have to find a Nick one though:der:

~LadyLemon~ said:
Well, so far I am totally diggin' on this!! Very catchy, and a bit more 'melodic' than their last. However, I do need to give it a few more spins before I can hand in my report!:sexywink:

Speaking of SPIN, I just got my new issue in the mail. They have 5 different collectors issues, with each guy on a cover. Mine came with Fab. I'll have to find a Nick one though:der:

I agree. I love it so far, but like "Is This It?" it'll take a few more listens before I am able to give a worthy review. :sexywink:

Lemon Sis, I bet you anything I'll get the Nick cover now! :lol: Then we'll have to trade, hehe. :flirt:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I agree. I love it so far, but like "Is This It?" it'll take a few more listens before I am able to give a worthy review. :sexywink:

Lemon Sis, I bet you anything I'll get the Nick cover now! :lol: Then we'll have to trade, hehe. :flirt:

Yeah, if you get it we can trade! :drool:

great album. ill be seeing them live in december.

my fave tracks:

under control
automatic stop
12:51

no particular order

Back
Top Bottom