Rolling Stones to Gather Moss Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldatti

Acrobat
Rolling Stones to Gather Moss Again
Wednesday, May 04, 2005
By Roger Friedman

Brace yourselves — they're back!

The Rolling Stones are determined to recapture the title of World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band from pretenders to the throne U2.

I'm told they will announce a new album and tour next Tuesday in New York. A press conference/concert has been booked for midtown, possibly Bryant Park.

A publicist will only say: "It's at a very accessible place."

In the past, the Stones have performed on a flatbed truck on Fifth Avenue in NYC. But they've been upstaged in recent years by U2, who took a page from the Stones' book by rolling on their own truck across the Brooklyn Bridge to announce their current tour.

The tour is set to start in late summer and hit New York in September, right before Paul McCartney's tour blows through town. Shades of the old Beatles vs. Stones rivalry!

A new Stones album may also be announced Tuesday, making it their 407th since 1964, or at least it feels that way.

But seriously, none of that matters, as long as we get a full version of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and maybe Billy Preston as a surprise treat.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155453,00.html
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/05/04/1025366.html

:hyper: They are coming to my country!!!!! :hyper:

Can't wait to listen to the new music!!!! The new songs on Forty Licks were all fucking great songs!!!! I hope the new album is even better! :drool:

They are coming to Argentina too, it seems that at least 3 River Plate stadiums are ready to go here.
In Brazil they will play on Copacabana Beach, a month ago Lenny Kravitz did a show for 150,000 people there.

Here many rumoured/probably dates for the Stones tour:
http://www.iorr.org/tour05/index.htm

I heard they were going to play the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, as well as a smaller place - The Palladium? I can't recall. Same week U2 is due in L.A. as well... I bet the tickets (again) will be double the face value for U2, but not double the entertainment value. Think I'm biased? Hmmmm :wink:

lol, they DID play can't you hear me knocking when i saw them on their last tour. they also played monkey man. fucking bad ass.

martha said:
Until they release a new album, they're a nostalgia act when they tour.

I think they qualify as a nostalgia act anyway since any new album is incidental. The vast majority of the people going to see them in concert are there for their old songs and don't give a damn about anything new from them.

I'm looking forward to the new album, but I doubt I'll catch them on tour...it's just so expensive. Besides, I got to see them back on the Bridges To Babylon and No Security tours, so I'm not completely deprived. ;)

when I saw them for the steel wheels tour in 89, it was the rolling stones plus 47 other people on stage.

u2 were already the greatest rock band back then.

JOFO said:
when I saw them for the steel wheels tour in 89, it was the rolling stones plus 47 other people on stage.

u2 were already the greatest rock band back then.

That's just because everything you hear is actually live. With U2, half of what you hear is pre-recorded, which is kind of cheating.

bsp77 said:

That's just because everything you hear is actually live. With U2, half of what you hear is pre-recorded, which is kind of cheating.

1/2? A synth or loop? yes. 1/2 the music? No.

MrBrau1 said:

1/2? A synth or loop? yes. 1/2 the music? No.

exactly.
not cheating.

cheating is when the "rolling stones" in press conferences, videos, tv ads, magazines, etc etc. presents mick, keith, charlie, and ron.

and then onstage its them plus:
a 4 piece horn section
3 keyboard players
2 backup guitarists
3 backup vocalists
1 bass player (darryl jones, who is a muthfucka on bass)

as I see it, that is the rolling stones (4) plus 13.

plus, they'll probably have backing tracks as well this tour.

don't get me wrong; the stones are great. but it's like the who these days; "the rolling stones" and "the who" just aint what they used to be.

which lends me to believe that sting was right in never reforming the police; sting might be ultra adult contempo now, but at least the police rest in infamy.:bow:

Last edited:
yep, it's true. the stones are coming to crappy little moncton, new brunswick.

it only took 35 years.

so maybe there's hope that u2 will come? i don't think so.

HOLY S***************T... they MAY BE coming to CHILE!!!! :hyper:

I'm going no matter what... All I have to do is buy the Forty Licks album, and their new one, and I'll be updated...

IF I DON'T GET SOME SHELTER I'M GONNA FADE AWAY!!!!

PS: If U2 releases the 4th Leg and are ALSO coming here, it'll be the greatest summer ever!!!

martha said:
Until they release a new album, they're a nostalgia act when they tour.

I'll go one better - even WHEN they release a new album, they're still a nostalgia act. They usually only play 2, MAYBE 3 songs from a new record, on the last couple of tours.

I love the Stones, for what they were, and I've seen them live, and they're great. But their time has long since passed. They really are just old men who don't know when the hell to get off the stage at this point.

If all you've been doing for most of your life is play Rock n Roll, and playing it well, why on Earth would you stop? Especially when people are still willing to pay to see you?

What's that line Bono said about Keef "When he straps on that guitar, the lines fall away from his face". Him and Ronnie, you got to admit, love playing live.

i find it funny that even at a u2 forum loads of people say that the stones are too old to be doing gigs and making records. go check them out, then you now you're wrong

Back
Top Bottom