Rolling Stones sell out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluberryPoptart

War Child
I saw/heard it last night. They're using "You can't always get what you want" on a Coke C2 commercial. Is this the first time they've sold one of their songs to a commercial, or was there something else I missed? They must not want Led Zeppelin and The Who to make more money than they do.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
They sold out a long time ago. :shrug:

Windows 95 - Start Me Up, anyone?

Yeah, I was just going to say that. Actually I don't think having their music used in commercials as such a horrid thing, it's their complete and total reliance on their back catalog to fuel the mega machine known as The Rolling Stones. They are little more than a nostalgia act now.

Yeah I think the Stones may have been the first of the major bands to go for big bucks in a high profile commercial with "Start Me Up".
They like their money for sure.

Haha, old news. At least it's slightly better than Bob Dylan and Victoria's Secret.

It's possible to draw a line somewhere I'm sure. I only really object to the whole 'selling out' thing when I start to smell creative stagnation. And that smell has been coming off the Stones for decades. That's ok, they had a fair run, I just resent them for the circus they've become.

Incidentally, 'Start me up' and the rest of the 'Tattoo You' album was culled from material that was already about ten years old when they released it in the early 80s. Last gasp indeed.

Hewson said:
Yeah I think the Stones may have been the first of the major bands to go for big bucks in a high profile commercial with "Start Me Up".
They like their money for sure.

No, they were preceeded by several years. In 1988, Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin fame sold out to Coke with his solo song "Tall Cool One." Not only did he sell the song, he appeared himself, turing up the bottle and drinking it in the commercial. I think that was the beginning of the end of the stigma of selling out. A few years before, I think '84 or '85, Phil Collins of Genesis fame took a lot of flak for selling out "In the Air Tonight" to a beer commercial.

U2Kitten said:
I think '84 or '85, Phil Collins of Genesis fame took a lot of flak for selling out "In the Air Tonight" to a beer commercial.
god, i remember that commercial! it must've aired for a while.

and like others have said, this isn't the first rolling stones song to be in a commercial, and i'm sure it won't be the last. since most 60s/70s acts have found their popularity dwindling, all they can do is rest on their laurels and/or "sell out."

Kieran McConville said:

Incidentally, 'Start me up' and the rest of the 'Tattoo You' album was culled from material that was already about ten years old when they released it in the early 80s.

I never heard that those songs were from already 10 years before. What I know is that most (most not all) of that is from the Some Girls and emotional Rescue sessions, I'm sure that some stuff might be from records before those though. But so what the album was made out of outtakes of never released songs? Tattoo You is a great album. Isn?t that what counts?

And people can say whatever they want but I still like and think that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges Of Babylon are strong records. There are some great songs there. If they had written and released some of the songs from those albums let's say some 30 years ago people would say that they are great songs. But whatever is released by the Stones now people will automatically say it's crap. Go figure. I just pray that doesn't happen with U2, cause it just isn't fair.

I think The Rolling Stones and their songs are so well established that it makes no difference if they let their songs to be used for commercials. No commercial or whatever will ever have an impact as big as those songs so it's not like people now will only associate those songs with the product. That's how high The Stones are, like it or not.

KhanadaRhodes said:

god, i remember that commercial! it must've aired for a while.

and like others have said, this isn't the first rolling stones song to be in a commercial, and i'm sure it won't be the last. since most 60s/70s acts have found their popularity dwindling, all they can do is rest on their laurels and/or "sell out."

I think it's the opposite! While they may not be the hottest item on the charts or stage anymore, they have a perpetual, legendary popularity that has made them forever part of our pop culture and the soundtrack of the lives of millions of people. Therefore, the bands and songs are well known enough to be immediately recognizable by a large portion of the general public, and that's why companies want to use them in them to sell products.

I think it's a compliment to the longevity and staying power of the bands and their music that this would happen, and a compliment to rock and roll itself that it has finally become acceptable as an art form. Instead of being shunned and criticized by the older people, thanks to an ageing baby boomer population, it's the music that is loved and remembered fondly by them and that's another reason it's being used, to target people who know it and have fond memories of it, and now have money. Twenty years ago, they were still targeting Cadillacs to old people, and rock songs would not have been wanted in commercials.

U2Kitten said:

, I think '84 or '85, Phil Collins of Genesis fame took a lot of flak for selling out "In the Air Tonight" to a beer commercial.

it was Genesis , " Tonight , Tonight , Tonight " and the year was 1987 ,

i heard dj on a radio yesterday saying that late Freddie Mercury recorded bohemian Rhapsody in 1976 and that he was buried in geneva , so true... -n-o-t- :ohmy:

Okay, I knew I was on the right track, but still it predate Robert Plant's coke commercial which I know was '88 so either way Genesis or at least Phil Collins was first, unless someone can come up with another example.

U2Kitten said:

I think it's the opposite! While they may not be the hottest item on the charts or stage anymore, they have a perpetual, legendary popularity that has made them forever part of our pop culture and the soundtrack of the lives of millions of people. Therefore, the bands and songs are well known enough to be immediately recognizable by a large portion of the general public, and that's why companies want to use them in them to sell products.

I think it's a compliment to the longevity and staying power of the bands and their music that this would happen, and a compliment to rock and roll itself that it has finally become acceptable as an art form. Instead of being shunned and criticized by the older people, thanks to an ageing baby boomer population, it's the music that is loved and remembered fondly by them and that's another reason it's being used, to target people who know it and have fond memories of it, and now have money. Twenty years ago, they were still targeting Cadillacs to old people, and rock songs would not have been wanted in commercials.

I agree with everything that you said except that The Stones still are the hottest band on stage (along with U2 :wink:). Them as a band can still do a lot and entertain people (I mean Mick Jagger is still running and doing stuff most people on their 60's would never think of doing) plus every time they come out for touring they do some great stuff in terms of the visual and concept for the tour, not just throw away stuff but good and original stuff. I mean their tours are always the number one on every list!

I totally agree with you about this being a compliment for them and the songs. I mean You Can't Always Get What You Want was released in 1969, I think that says something, it shows that not only that song is better than any new and trendy stuff done by popular acts today but that The Stones have such a good credibility that even though their new releases are not all that popular and mainstream anymore people still respond to their music.

It's very easy for people to say that The Rolling Stones are now just a nostalgia act because of their age and the lack of popularity of their newer releases with the MTV crowd. But still their newer stuff is of very good quality. The prejudice because of their age is what keeps MTV from showing their videos and maybe of their record company of promoting their singles. I totally think that if a song like Saint Of Me if well promoted and given a chance on radio and the TV it would kick ass on the charts. The same thing is happening with Bruce now in my opinion and that sucks. MTV sucks. That?s why U2 from now on will promote the hell out of their new albums cause if not people will think that it?s just another old band putting out another record full of fillers as good as the album might be. The great thing is that U2 might change this a little because they still seem to be able to be quite popular at their age but still there are a lot of people who will not listen because they think a 40-year-old man cannot communicate with a 15-year-old kid. :mad:

I agree with you about the Stones Brazilian Fly :yes:

I hate it when people say they don't want U2 to end up like the Rolling Stones. A band could do a lot worse than ending up like the Stones. I think what the Stones have should be the ultimate goal of every band, it would be mine if I had a band. I'm not worried about the 'nostalgia' thing, hey, when you have a career that long, with that many songs that have become a part of the lives and culture of millions of people, that's going to happen but I consider it a compliment. I also don't care if they're 'relevant' or not. They are 60+ now, no teenager is going to relate to them the same way they would a younger band. But that doesn't mean people of all ages can't enjoy them and their long back catalog of great music as long as we have them alive and standing! :up:

anitram said:
Haha, old news. At least it's slightly better than Bob Dylan and Victoria's Secret.

I got his free CD when I was shopping there a few months ago!!!

and after listening I now really like his "Spanish Leather" song. :shrug:

To Bob Dylan's defense on the VS ad (although the ad itself is disturbing - he looks like the devil - disturbing in that good disturbing way). He had mentioned decades earlier that if he were ever to "sell-out" it would be for "ladies undergarmets"

TheBrazilianFly said:

It's very easy for people to say that The Rolling Stones are now just a nostalgia act because of their age and the lack of popularity of their newer releases with the MTV crowd. But still their newer stuff is of very good quality. The prejudice because of their age is what keeps MTV from showing their videos and maybe of their record company of promoting their singles. I totally think that if a song like Saint Of Me if well promoted and given a chance on radio and the TV it would kick ass on the charts. The same thing is happening with Bruce now in my opinion and that sucks. MTV sucks. That?s why U2 from now on will promote the hell out of their new albums cause if not people will think that it?s just another old band putting out another record full of fillers as good as the album might be. The great thing is that U2 might change this a little because they still seem to be able to be quite popular at their age but still there are a lot of people who will not listen because they think a 40-year-old man cannot communicate with a 15-year-old kid. :mad:

I didn't say the Rolling Stones were little more than a nostalgia act because of their age or the "lack of popularity of their newer releases with the MTV crowd". I said it because they rely almost exclusively on their back catalog (let's face it, how many people do you think they would get if they played music only from new work at their shows?), and because in my opinion, their newer work (and I mean the last 30 years) is not even close to the quality of their early material. That is what I meant by nostalgia act.

Also, my favorite singer/songwriter/musician (I also love his writing and painting) is turning fifty this year. And you know what? He's doing his best work now. Not that his earlier work was bad, because it certainly isn't, but his lyrics, musicianship, and vocals are more compelling than ever. Hardly an MTV or radio darling (I think I've only seen MTV three times in my life...I was not impressed). And there is no reason at all why this shouldn't be the case for many musicians...unfortunately, it isn't often the case.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Yeah I think the Stones may have been the first of the major bands to go for big bucks in a high profile commercial
I guess I didn't consider Genesis as a "major" band(It was Michelob beer wasn't it?), I know they were pretty big at the time, but I was thinking in terms of your real big bands, Stones, Beatles, Zep, Who, that level. Completely forgot about Plant and Coke.

Back
Top Bottom