Rolling Stones in a THEATER!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhodgdon

Babyface
Just got back from seeing the Rolling Stones at Boston's Orpheum Theater (seats under 2800). What an amazing show...any chance we can see U2 in a place like that?

Was at that show as well...talk about hot. The Orpheum has to be the hottest building in the city. I was completely drenched by the end of the show.
But what a great show.

AS for U2, they have played in that building, but not since 1983.

dhodgdon said:
Just got back from seeing the Rolling Stones at Boston's Orpheum Theater (seats under 2800).

:shocked: OMC...that is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would :heart: to see The Stones in that type of venue. I got to see them twice, but once was in a huge arena and the other time in a stadium (still kick ass shows though!!!! :D).

very good concert, but that Orpheum is a dump;)

I was there too-OMG, it was SO HOT :scream: 'oppressively hot' is an understatement.

Here is an article and some pics..I didn't see Joe Perry,or Bill Murray-he was there too.

Rolling Stones soul-ed out at Boston theater show

By Dean Goodman

BOSTON (Reuters) - Rock 'n' roll's bad boys the Rolling Stones displayed their soulful, sensitive side in Boston Sunday as they played the first of a handful of small theater concerts on their newly launched Licks world tour.

While 2,800 fans in the oppressively hot Orpheum Theatre cheered wildly, the veteran English rockers dug deep into their repertoire to perform old songs they had rarely -- if ever -- played before.

Among them were covers of Solomon Burke's "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love," Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "Going to a Go-Go," the O'Jays' "Love Train" and B.B. King's "Rock Me Baby," the latter with the help of opening act Buddy Guy.

The Rolling Stones began their world tour in Boston Tuesday, playing to 20,000 fans at the Fleet Center. Two days later they played the 53,000-capacity Gillette Stadium.

Next stop is Chicago whey they are also scheduled to perform at an arena, a stadium and a theater. Other cities with theater stops include Philadelphia, New York, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Tickets for Las Vegas' Joint club went on sale this weekend ,with the cheapest priced at $505. Orpheum tickets were $66.

In contrast to their usual practice, the Stones are dramatically varying their set lists. Half of the 20 songs at the Orpheum had not been heard on this tour. Other rarities dusted off included the bluesy "Parachute Woman" from 1968's Beggars Banquet" opus, and the funky "Dance (Pt. 1)" from their unloved 1980 album "Emotional Rescue."

The band and its multitude of sidemen were crammed onto the Orpheum's small stage for the 110-minute show. Even though he did not need to run around as much, singer Mick Jagger often complained about the heat, and sarcastically asked the audience if they wanted it turned up.

"This is our third show in Boston and it's gonna be definitely the hottest one, I think," he said.

Guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood, and drummer Charlie Watts seemed untroubled by it, thanks to giant fans. Richards, as usual, sang two songs while Jagger cooled off backstage.

Wood, newly sober after a few stints in rehab, played a more prominent role this time. The dapper Watts, wearing red socks in honor of Boston's baseball team, forgot to come out when the band took its final bow.

Among the thirtysomething crowd was Aerosmith lead guitarist Joe Perry, who flew in to the hometown gig on a night off from his band's tour. He told Reuters recently that Aerosmith had planned its tour around the Stones tour in order to catch as many shows as possible.

Outside the Orpheum, veteran filmmaker Michael Apted and his crew interviewed fans for a documentary he is making about the Stones.

mdf102646.jpg

capt.1031547817.rolling_stones_mawt104.jpg

capt.1031547271.rolling_stones_mawt103.jpg

capt.1031546538.rolling_stones_mawt102.jpg

I think this one's funny..

capt.1031545643.rolling_stones_mawt101.jpg

:love: :drool: AWWWWWESOMMMME

Ah so they finally named the tour?

Licks.

Hey I thought the Strokes were sposed to be opening...?

:shifty:

Re: very good concert, but that Orpheum is a dump;)

capt.1031545643.rolling_stones_mawt101.jpg

In case anyone had any doubts that Mick Jagger is in fact the devil, this photo provides proof. :) "Please allow me to introduce myself..."

As for Joe Perry being thirtysomething...:lmao:
Also there were Peter Wolf (who I expected to hop onstage for a duet), Joe Thornton and Sen. John kerry and Teresa Heinz.

And tix were $51, with of course the obligatory $10.20 Ticketmaster fee then tacked on top.

GM: How did your Mom like the show? Mine would have walked out from the heat.

sympathy for the devil

Hewson said:

In case anyone had any doubts that Mick Jagger is in fact the devil, this photo provides proof. :) "Please allow me to introduce myself..."

:lmao: :lmao:

I didn't see Joe Thornton, or Senator Kerry. I was really hoping Tom Brady would be there :D I can't believe all those VIP's sweated it out w/ all the 'regular folk' :rolleyes:

Yes, I spent the whole time worried that my Mom would pass out-and I thought I would too.

Add to the Ticketmaster fees $3.50 for a bottle of water, and $1.00 for a cup of water on the way out :down:

Joe Perry's not 30 something?:shocked: :D

Back
Top Bottom