Rolling Stones - best album? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Best Rolling Stones album?
England's Newest Hitmakers 0 0%
12x5 0 0%
Out of Our Heads 0 0%
December's Children 0 0%
Aftermath 0 0%
Between The Buttons 2 4.35%
Their Satanic Majesties Request 0 0%
Beggars Banquet 3 6.52%
Let It Bleed 15 32.61%
Sticky Fingers 7 15.22%
Exile on Main Street 14 30.43%
Goats Head Soup 0 0%
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll 0 0%
Black and Blue 0 0%
Some Girls 4 8.70%
Tattoo You 0 0%
Other - please explain 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #31
The Male

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
This poll proves it:

Sticky Fingers is underrated on this forum.
.....But I'm starting to think that Let It Bleed is just as good. I'm totally hooked on that album right now. The country tunes are fantastic (You Got The Silver ), and the straight-on rock songs are just incredible. Gimme Shelter is one of the best songs of all time, period.

The only tracks that bring it down for me are the decent-but-nothing-special Live With Me and the bloated You Can't Always Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes.

Now.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The only tracks that bring it down for me are the decent-but-nothing-special Live With Me and the bloated You Can't Always Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #33
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Too bad. My favorite Stones album has only 13.79% of the votes. We all have problems.

To be fair, I think everything but those two songs are amazing.

Now.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:20 PM
You're in the minority with You Can't Always Get What You Want, which is a bonafide classic.

Just sayin'.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:

Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes.

I'm sorry. I don't speak to people who don't enjoy Dr. Gregory House's favorite song.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #36
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

I'm sorry. I don't speak to people who don't enjoy Dr. Gregory House's favorite song.
Pfft...he likes Dave Matthews. That kind of kills any authority he may have in the area of music.

Sorry, but after an album of being bled on, having knives shoved down my throat by rambling serial killers, and drinking away honky tonk women, YCAGWYW is like pure saccharin.

Now.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:

Pfft...he likes Dave Matthews. That kind of kills any authority he may have in the area of music.

Sorry, but after an album of being bled on, having knives shoved down my throat by rambling serial killers, and drinking away honky tonk women, YCAGWYW is like pure saccharin.

House wins at life more than any of us ever will, ergo we should all follow his word as gospel.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Uhh, the song is partially about heroin addiction? I think that fits in with the rest of the theme of the album. Certainly not a saccharine subject.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #39
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Uhh, the song is partially about heroin addiction? I think that fits in with the rest of the theme of the album. Certainly not a saccharine subject.
Never thought of it like that. It's always grabbed me as an uplifting song (in a Hey Jude kind of way; uplifting in spite of it all). I'm sure that's how they would have wanted to close out the album anyway.

Now.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Other-

Flashpoint Live

sympathy for the devil
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Never thought of it like that. It's always grabbed me as an uplifting song (in a Hey Jude kind of way; uplifting in spite of it all). I'm sure that's how they would have wanted to close out the album anyway.

Supposedly, Marianne Faithful, who was dating Mick or Keith or maybe Mick AND Keith at the time, was trying to kick heroin and was using methadone, which you needed a prescription for. "To get my fair share of abuse" refers to that legal dispensation of methadone, and as a substitute for heroin, you don't "get what you want" but "what you need" to get through it. " I went down to the Chelsea drugstore/to get your prescription filled" is another giveaway, but some of the lyrics in the song are more absract.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't actually like a single Stones album? I mean, I would rather die than give up an incredible number of their songs, but I straight-up dislike all of their albums to which I've listened (which is most). I dunno. I just don't get it.

I love 'em, though, and I guess I've no problem with what I see as mediocre records which spit out tons of my all-time favorite songs.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #43
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...
Am I the only person who doesn't actually like a single Stones album? I mean, I would rather die than give up an incredible number of their songs, but I straight-up dislike all of their albums to which I've listened (which is most). I dunno. I just don't get it.

I love 'em, though, and I guess I've no problem with what I see as mediocre records which spit out tons of my all-time favorite songs.
I feel the same way about Blur.

But not the Stones. They have several very good/great albums.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...

Quote:

I feel the same way about Blur.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #45
The Male

Sorry, but you can't tell me that every track on Modern Life Is Rubbish, 13, or (especially) The Great Escape are of the highest quality. There are songs on each of those that stick out WAY above the others.

Now.