Rolling Stones - best album? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Best Rolling Stones album?
England's Newest Hitmakers 0 0%
12x5 0 0%
Out of Our Heads 0 0%
December's Children 0 0%
Aftermath 0 0%
Between The Buttons 2 4.35%
Their Satanic Majesties Request 0 0%
Beggars Banquet 3 6.52%
Let It Bleed 15 32.61%
Sticky Fingers 7 15.22%
Exile on Main Street 14 30.43%
Goats Head Soup 0 0%
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll 0 0%
Black and Blue 0 0%
Some Girls 4 8.70%
Tattoo You 0 0%
Other - please explain 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #31
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,812
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
This poll proves it:

Sticky Fingers is underrated on this forum.
.....But I'm starting to think that Let It Bleed is just as good. I'm totally hooked on that album right now. The country tunes are fantastic (You Got The Silver ), and the straight-on rock songs are just incredible. Gimme Shelter is one of the best songs of all time, period.

The only tracks that bring it down for me are the decent-but-nothing-special Live With Me and the bloated You Can't Always Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
The only tracks that bring it down for me are the decent-but-nothing-special Live With Me and the bloated You Can't Always Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes.


__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #33
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,812
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus




Too bad. My favorite Stones album has only 13.79% of the votes. We all have problems.

To be fair, I think everything but those two songs are amazing.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,063
Local Time: 06:20 PM
You're in the minority with You Can't Always Get What You Want, which is a bonafide classic.

Just sayin'.
__________________
phanan is online now  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon




Get What You Want. Whoever told the Stones that it was a good idea to let little wiener British kids sing the first two minutes of the song should have been fired. Plus, it's the same thing over and over again for 7.5 minutes.

I'm sorry. I don't speak to people who don't enjoy Dr. Gregory House's favorite song.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #36
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,812
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest



I'm sorry. I don't speak to people who don't enjoy Dr. Gregory House's favorite song.
Pfft...he likes Dave Matthews. That kind of kills any authority he may have in the area of music.

Sorry, but after an album of being bled on, having knives shoved down my throat by rambling serial killers, and drinking away honky tonk women, YCAGWYW is like pure saccharin.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Pfft...he likes Dave Matthews. That kind of kills any authority he may have in the area of music.

Sorry, but after an album of being bled on, having knives shoved down my throat by rambling serial killers, and drinking away honky tonk women, YCAGWYW is like pure saccharin.

House wins at life more than any of us ever will, ergo we should all follow his word as gospel.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Pfft...he likes Dave Matthews. That kind of kills any authority he may have in the area of music.

Sorry, but after an album of being bled on, having knives shoved down my throat by rambling serial killers, and drinking away honky tonk women, YCAGWYW is like pure saccharin.

Uhh, the song is partially about heroin addiction? I think that fits in with the rest of the theme of the album. Certainly not a saccharine subject.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #39
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,812
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus



Uhh, the song is partially about heroin addiction? I think that fits in with the rest of the theme of the album. Certainly not a saccharine subject.
Never thought of it like that. It's always grabbed me as an uplifting song (in a Hey Jude kind of way; uplifting in spite of it all). I'm sure that's how they would have wanted to close out the album anyway.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
tpsreports2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Let's hug it out, bitch.
Posts: 4,351
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Other-

Flashpoint Live

sympathy for the devil
__________________
tpsreports2424 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Never thought of it like that. It's always grabbed me as an uplifting song (in a Hey Jude kind of way; uplifting in spite of it all). I'm sure that's how they would have wanted to close out the album anyway.

Supposedly, Marianne Faithful, who was dating Mick or Keith or maybe Mick AND Keith at the time, was trying to kick heroin and was using methadone, which you needed a prescription for. "To get my fair share of abuse" refers to that legal dispensation of methadone, and as a substitute for heroin, you don't "get what you want" but "what you need" to get through it. " I went down to the Chelsea drugstore/to get your prescription filled" is another giveaway, but some of the lyrics in the song are more absract.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't actually like a single Stones album? I mean, I would rather die than give up an incredible number of their songs, but I straight-up dislike all of their albums to which I've listened (which is most). I dunno. I just don't get it.

I love 'em, though, and I guess I've no problem with what I see as mediocre records which spit out tons of my all-time favorite songs.
__________________
If you shout... is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #43
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,812
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...
Am I the only person who doesn't actually like a single Stones album? I mean, I would rather die than give up an incredible number of their songs, but I straight-up dislike all of their albums to which I've listened (which is most). I dunno. I just don't get it.

I love 'em, though, and I guess I've no problem with what I see as mediocre records which spit out tons of my all-time favorite songs.
I feel the same way about Blur.








But not the Stones. They have several very good/great albums.
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...
Am I the only person who doesn't actually like a single Stones album? I mean, I would rather die than give up an incredible number of their songs, but I straight-up dislike all of their albums to which I've listened (which is most). I dunno. I just don't get it.

I love 'em, though, and I guess I've no problem with what I see as mediocre records which spit out tons of my all-time favorite songs.
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

I feel the same way about Blur.

__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #45
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,812
Local Time: 03:20 PM
Sorry, but you can't tell me that every track on Modern Life Is Rubbish, 13, or (especially) The Great Escape are of the highest quality. There are songs on each of those that stick out WAY above the others.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com