Rolling Stone Magazine.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Rolling Stone Magazine....

So, I know someone who is interning at Rolling Stone this summer and I have repeatedly forced my opinions of thier general suckiness over the past 4-5 years to her.
The Britney/Justin/American Idol covers are only one of my many complaints about a rag that was formerlly "the" pulse of music..........

Here is a snippett from an email I got from her today explaining the Clay Aiken cover....

"covers sell magazines. to have a mag in
business, you have to sell, obviously. but, it is what is inside the cover that really
matters. so, while clay aiken or brittany spears may just play as "bait" in order to
sell (brittany on the cover sold a record amt....it is sad, but there is just a market
for that stuff) those covers allow us to grab the reader's attention and then fill the
inside pages with great stuff such as the feature on the war on iraq and a great
radiohead feature. you know? you can't judge a mag by it's cover....and you
have to remeber that RS has a job to do as well...sell magazines, or else there will
be no more RS. we are not an indie music mag, but like to feature a great
assortment of things. "

whatever...

Old 06-26-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:00 AM
assortment of what exactly?

Corporate whore is what that magazine is

Old 06-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:00 AM
interns
Old 06-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:00 AM
I dont even know who Clay Aiken is, and I dont think I want to.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:00 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yeah, hes that guy from American Idol....

I dont buy the whole thing, I think the RS organization has gone to crap, they know sex sells and thats important to them. Money, not giving us the info about music that they should.

I mean, thier reviewers are such crap too, I was on RS.com reading a review for the new Jay Fararr album that the reviewer gave 2 stars. Not a big deal right, just tell us why eh? Well, he was able to summarize it in about 3 sentences!!! A load of crap......

I will never support RS again, I promise you that.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:51 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:00 PM
I actually thought having Clay Aiken on the cover was an improvement for RS. At least he's got talent.

RS overall =

And that's pretty sad that they put that much stock into the cover. If the magazine is great on the inside, people will find out about it and buy it anyway.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:09 AM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Is media the reflector or the director...

If a magazine cover doesn't catch your eye, do you pick it up? No.

Rolling Stone was never an indie music magazine anyway, so why the outrage?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:29 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Is media the reflector or the director...

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig
If a magazine cover doesn't catch your eye, do you pick it up? No.

Rolling Stone was never an indie music magazine anyway, so why the outrage?
I dont think its outrage, and youre right, they never were indie, I really wish thier reviews would improve though. And they did seem more about the music in the past (i may be kidding myself), and now its all about the money, thats obvious.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 06-27-2003, 10:15 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I'll buy RS when U2's on the cover. Other than that, I won't even skim it at the newstand anymore, the things like 50% ad pages.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:22 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Is media the reflector or the director...

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley

I dont think its outrage, and youre right, they never were indie, I really wish thier reviews would improve though. And they did seem more about the music in the past (i may be kidding myself), and now its all about the money, thats obvious.

Exactly. I think I would faint if I actually saw real musicians on the cover for once instead of pop starlets, shitty rock bands and whoever is promoting a movie that week. blargh.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:37 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:00 AM
who even buys magazines anymore when you can just read them online?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:48 AM   #13
New Yorker

Re: Is media the reflector or the director...

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Exactly. I think I would faint if I actually saw real musicians on the cover for once instead of pop starlets, shitty rock bands and whoever is promoting a movie that week. blargh.
HA, you were in the music trade at one time, yeah? So you'd know how the PR machine works...people with decent taste in music don't generally get to make these sorts of decisions simply because most of the market doesn't think enough about music to care about artistic cred. Or at least, the market that does is not big enough to satisfy the circulation goals of the magazine.

Most people here would say they only get Rolling Stone if U2 makes the cover, which is exactly why they put out the covers they do...people do buy them for their covers! And the majority of people out there want popstars on the cover.

Yep Rolling Stone is about money, but what music mag isn't? The music press really is just a gravy train most of the time.

I can't defend the reviews though, either they'll be pushing an agenda with it or they'll be writing something ill-informed and poorly researched.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 PM
When Rolling Stone launched in the late '60s it was a counter-culture magazine featuring interviews with John Lennon and columns by Hunter S. Thompson. It was a music mag but it was also about pop culture and politics. Soon though pop culture took over and most issues would have the casts of Seinfeld or Friends, Sarah Michelle Gellar in bondage atire, Tori Spelling in a shower to sell Scream 2 and very, very rarely would any bands or musicians make the cover.
When I went to see Almost Famous in the theater and the scene came on when Ben Fong Torres says, "We'd like you to write for us," it was like my dream come true. Rolling Stone did always have this iconic quality because it was such a big deal, because they did get great interviews with great artists -- U2, Guns 'n Roses, Madonna and so on. Today, sadly, the magazine has become something of a joke. Instead of being counter-culture or arbiters of cool, it's just following whatever sad trend is being perpetrated by Maxim or kid sister publication US. Because of this sales are down and the staff has been shuffled and reshuffled several times in the last few years to try to come up with some type of solid direction for the magazine.
There has been some controversy over this Clay Aiken cover, people asking why American Idol runner-up Clay was chosen over winner Ruben Studdard, racism has even been brought up. To me, that seems to be a false issue, my concern over this cover is it's truly the last nail in the coffin for Rolling Stone. Why is the magazine just now jumping on the American Idol bandwagon? Why devote a cover to a person who has released only one, non-original single? Why not devote time to breaking bands? Why not do a cover story on the reunited Janes Addiction and the relaunched Lollapolooza? What about Radiohead? What about Luther Vandross having the number one album while lying in a coma?
There's so many great stories in music, so many wonderful artists deserving of the attention from Rolling Stone but the magazine is either too lazy or too out of touch to catch on. It really does make me sad because I'd like to think that Rolling Stone could stay relevant for 40 years, that anything could matter for that long, but maybe that's not possible. At least I can count on Q now to cover music the way it should be.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Is media the reflector or the director...

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig

HA, you were in the music trade at one time, yeah? So you'd know how the PR machine works...people with decent taste in music don't generally get to make these sorts of decisions simply because most of the market doesn't think enough about music to care about artistic cred. Or at least, the market that does is not big enough to satisfy the circulation goals of the magazine.

You are correct.. but knowing how the machine works and actually agreeing with it are two different things. Sex and hype sells the most covers, a plaintive rocker does not, unless of course their shirt is unbuttoned.