Rolling Stone Magazine.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
At least I can count on Q now to cover music the way it should be.
Can you? In the UK people are saying the same thing about Q as what's being said about Rolling Stone here! Granted they haven't fallen quite as far but the reviews they give aren't terribly authoritive these days. Get a chance to look at the REM buyers' guide they had up on the website the other week? Shallow skimming to say the least...

Edit: Read that guide here

I've got a book of Rolling Stone articles which date from about 66 to 72. I actually wasn't that impressed by them. There are a few classics but the majority lack the sort of insights you expect from such hallowed times (Woodstock, Beatles breakup, deaths of Hendrix, Joplin etc) while the writing is rather dense and uninspired. Maybe its the authors' supply of grass/acid talking

HA, that would make Meatloaf kinda a grey area huh?

Old 06-27-2003, 12:35 PM   #17
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Thats not like you to repeatedly force your opinion on someone EP!
RS is like the Billboard of magazines, merely one more 'look' much like the alternative indie scene where moody and brooding is the desired aproach.

Blech, I think Betty and I just agreed on something...

Old 06-27-2003, 12:42 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brettig

HA, that would make Meatloaf kinda a grey area huh?

LMFAO. "It was never Meatloaf!"

Old 06-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Yes I think I jinxed Q, because since I've started buying it Christina Aguilera has started appearing on the cover.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
Yes I think I jinxed Q, because since I've started buying it Christina Aguilera has started appearing on the cover.
Damn I forgot about that one!

I don't think Q is a hardcore fanboy magazine, I think it's dedicated to readers who fall somewhere it between the category of people who live for those "Now That's What I Call Music" compilations and characters from Nick Hornby novels. The magazine does cover a variety of stuff, from dance to teen pop to hip hop to metal to classic rock to whatever bridges those gaps. I like that in one issue I can read about Dave Gahan, Marilyn Mason, tAtU and NWA. How often does Rolling Stone offer that kind of variety?
Of course, there's no guarantee that Q couldn't go south as well, but as long as they keep their mission in mind they should be solid. Rolling Stone definitely needs some work on theirs.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #21
New Yorker

Hrrrmph

If Rolling Stone wants to be considered a music magazine then there needs to be a fair share of Britney, N'Sync, American Idol type of covers displayed.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:20 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Thats not like you to repeatedly force your opinion on someone EP!
:

Old 06-27-2003, 04:19 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

rollingstone is a waste of time. i buy it when U2 is on the cover, purely for collector's purposes but other than that, I leave it.

Old 06-27-2003, 04:47 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I stopped my subscription the day I discovered the internet.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Well if your problem with RS lies in the content of their reviews and their overall focus, you have to remember that most of the critics are not artists themselves. They may have an informed opinion, but most of the time the stuff posted in Rolling Stone is bullshit sponsored by the flavor of the week and payolas. If you want a real music digest type magazine, I suggest you look more towards the instrumental publications. Although a mag like Revolver may at first glance seem trashy and fabricated like the rest, most of the reviews are honest. These days I rarely pick up magazines in the music genre... and if I do it's usually guitar-based.

Guitar-World
Old 06-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle

thanks a lot, yertle!!!

Old 06-28-2003, 12:38 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
When Rolling Stone launched in the late '60s it was a counter-culture magazine featuring interviews with John Lennon and columns by Hunter S. Thompson. It was a music mag but it was also about pop culture and politics. Soon though pop culture took over and most issues would have the casts of Seinfeld or Friends, Sarah Michelle Gellar in bondage atire, Tori Spelling in a shower to sell Scream 2 and very, very rarely would any bands or musicians make the cover.
When I went to see Almost Famous in the theater and the scene came on when Ben Fong Torres says, "We'd like you to write for us," it was like my dream come true. Rolling Stone did always have this iconic quality because it was such a big deal, because they did get great interviews with great artists -- U2, Guns 'n Roses, Madonna and so on. Today, sadly, the magazine has become something of a joke. Instead of being counter-culture or arbiters of cool, it's just following whatever sad trend is being perpetrated by Maxim or kid sister publication US. Because of this sales are down and the staff has been shuffled and reshuffled several times in the last few years to try to come up with some type of solid direction for the magazine.
There has been some controversy over this Clay Aiken cover, people asking why American Idol runner-up Clay was chosen over winner Ruben Studdard, racism has even been brought up. To me, that seems to be a false issue, my concern over this cover is it's truly the last nail in the coffin for Rolling Stone. Why is the magazine just now jumping on the American Idol bandwagon? Why devote a cover to a person who has released only one, non-original single? Why not devote time to breaking bands? Why not do a cover story on the reunited Janes Addiction and the relaunched Lollapolooza? What about Radiohead? What about Luther Vandross having the number one album while lying in a coma?
There's so many great stories in music, so many wonderful artists deserving of the attention from Rolling Stone but the magazine is either too lazy or too out of touch to catch on. It really does make me sad because I'd like to think that Rolling Stone could stay relevant for 40 years, that anything could matter for that long, but maybe that's not possible. At least I can count on Q now to cover music the way it should be.
one of the best posts ever.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:56 AM   #28
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
Sex and hype sells the most
ah, perhaps I should aim for hype then
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-28-2003, 10:09 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
ah, perhaps I should aim for hype then
Oh, you've already got the hype, baybeee

Devlin You rock, girl. It was a fabulous post
Old 06-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

I am SURE I am about to reiterate here, but............

For every glossy, ad-filled Rolling Stone sitting at your dentist's office - there are probably three more "indie-like" publications out there with better reviews, better features, etc. etc. etc. Go to your local newstand or bookstore with a decent selection of magazines, and you can find some real gems. has anyone checked out Under the Radar? I read this last week, and it pretty much fits my music listening to a T. If I want features on something other than music, I pick up a different magazine (at my hairstylist or off an airplane, etc. etc.). So many choices out there.