Rolling Stone Magazine - 1000th Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
1.jpg

Rolling Stone marks 1,000th issue with 3-D cover
by Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner has assembled 154 of his best friends on the bold cover of the 1,000th issue of his pop-culture magazine, which hits newsstands this week.

The hefty volume boasts a 3-D lenticular attachment featuring a Sgt. Pepper's-style collage of some of the biggest names in music, film, TV and literature of the last four decades. A few world leaders also made the cut, but not President George W. Bush, the subject of the cover of No. 999, which asked if he was the worst president in history.

Wenner told Reuters the issue has been in the planning stage since last summer, with printing on the cover starting in January. The cover cost about $1 million to produce, with the expense offset by a $2 increase in the cover price to $5.95, and "a huge amount" of advertising, including Target Stores' own lenticular image on the back.

Inside, the magazine revels in its storied history, and spotlights its 100 greatest covers, spanning Wenner's 1967 interview with John Lennon in the first issue, through rapper Kanye West's Jesus Christ pose in issue 993 this past February.

"What other magazines are there that I want to see a hundred covers of? That I could look at a hundred of their best covers and go, 'Wow! That was our times ... those are brilliant ... that band meant something to me,"' Wenner said.

But the magazine is more than a forum for pretty faces and the work of such photographers as Annie Leibovitz, Baron Wolman and Herb Ritts. Writers included Hunter S. Thompson, P.J. O'Rourke and Tom Wolfe, and virtually every pop culture notable sat down for an interview -- Lennon, Mick Jagger, Elvis Presley and Jimi Hendrix, all the way down to Nick Lachey in issue 999.

Rolling Stone will vie for three National Magazine Awards on May 9, with Wenner's interview with U2 singer Bono nominated in the profile writing category.

At 60, Wenner said he remains very involved in the magazine's direction and strategy. But he does not control every page as Hugh Hefner still does at Playboy.

Rolling Stone's audited total paid circulation stood at 1.3 million in the six months to December 2005, up by about 34,000 copies from the year-ago period.

But newsstand sales -- where the profit margins are higher -- fell by about 5,700 copies to 128,580 in the same period.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rs1000

Last edited:
:hyper: will definitely be rushing out to buy this when it's out over here in the UK!

Rolling Stone Magazine is simply the BEST !! :bow:

I've been a subscriber for alot of years now. :up:

I look forward to every issue they publish ... although, this issue sounds like it's gonna be awesome !! :applaud:

Wow - it looks great! And you can see Bono on the cover at the bottom right. I'll definitely be getting this! I had a subscription years ago, but will probably be starting it up again soon. It's a great magazine! :up:

That looks like an awesome issue :drool:

I'll buy it and probably spend ages staring at the cover picking out everyone :D.

Last edited:
Lots of people are on the cover&Bono's right at the front!

Lila64 said:
I hope my subscription covers me getting this issue :eyebrow:
yeah me too.
my brother got an mp3 player for christmas, which came with a 26 issue-free subscription to Rolling Stone, so hopefully it'll be in the mailbox <3

and YAY for Bono being in the front row on the cover ;] gotta love it.

Lila64 said:
I hope my subscription covers me getting this issue :eyebrow:

I would think that it should. I mean, even though it's an anniversary issue, it's still a regular issue...not a bonus one or anything. I'm still nervous though. I was magazine shopping today and was really tempted to buy one, just to be safe, but I passed. If one isn't sent to me, I'll be ticked. :mad:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
:lol:

I :heart: Gawker.

I think my subscription runs out in August, so I should be good. I haven't been that enthralled with RS as of late, but this might be a nice issue to have.
same here.

I received this email from customer service:

Thank you for contacting Rolling Stone Magazine.

The May 18th issue should arrive 5 days after the cover date. For
international delivery allow an additional 6 to 9 weeks. Please let us
know if your issue does not arrive by then.

Thank you
Rolling Stone Magazine
sns

Rolling Stone has great writing, but it needs to find a way to be vital again. It often does feel like a magazine being run by a bunch of aging Baby Boomers - and that's exactly what it is, and what the top tier staffers are.

HelloAngel said:
Rolling Stone has great writing, but it needs to find a way to be vital again. It often does feel like a magazine being run by a bunch of aging Baby Boomers - and that's exactly what it is, and what the top tier staffers are.

Their political pieces have been almost unreadable since Bush came into office. They have been trite and slanted so far that even though I agree with their content, I can't stomach reading the articles.:|

Dalton said:

Their political pieces have been almost unreadable since Bush came into office. They have been trite and slanted so far that even though I agree with their content, I can't stomach reading the articles.:|

Yeah, I don't read those either.

I do enjoy the long stories such as the ones that they did on Scientology, The Family (weird religious sex cult) and The "Lost Boys."

Mine came today! :dance:

Not that I ever read the darn thing. Bought it mainly for my daughter's school's magazine drive :shifty: :happy:

My daughter said she was checking it out at the Boys & Girls Club yesterday with some of the elders :up:

Mine will be my reward for getting my 42 students' research papers graded early next week. I was playing with the 3D cover when I was stuck in traffic today. I found Bono right away :happy:

Yea they have 2 pieces on Bruce inside :whistle: and his senior pic from high school in the yearbook section :giggle:

As a subscriber for this magazine, I must say most of the time whoever's on the cover usually sucks...but they tend to have one or two good articles an issue...sometimes, they dont even have one :angry:. The sad part is I'm strangely addicted to the magazine, cause I'm almost sure I'll probably renew it when my subscription comes to an end.

Back
Top Bottom