Roger Waters on tour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonosLil'Pal94 said:

I don't recall Clapton being involved, so it must have been '85. And judging by your boots, it probably was. Was Echoes played at both legs? Lila was there with me, but I wonder if she remembers that :ohmy:

You know, I don't think Echoes was ever performed on the Pros & Cons tour. I've never seen it listed anywhere, in any case. Do you remember where you saw it? I could check it out and see if it was maybe a one-off thing during an encore or something. These were the standard first sets for 84 and 85:

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Money
If
Welcome To The Machine
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Pigs On The Wing (Part 1)
In The Flesh
Nobody Home
Hey You
The Gunner's Dream

Welcome To The Machine
Money
If
Wish You Were Here
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
Southampton Dock
The Gunner's Dream
In The Flesh?
Nobody Home
Have A Cigar
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1)
The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)

Encores for both were Brain Damage and Eclipse.

A synth shakuhachi was used on some of the '85 songs, which made them sound like typical 80s shit. :yuck: I avoid '85 bootlegs as a result. The '84 Pros & Cons shows were perfect.

Since I've seen your pics and review, I can't get next week out of my head. I went to pick up the ladies pizza and I'm thinking about the start of the show singing to myself, "So you....thought you......might like to .......go to the show....BOOM, BOOM BOOM!! I was getting freaking goose bumps. And then I'm thinking how emotional I was at the last show last year during 'Us and Them', because I was thinking this is it. I'll probably never see this again. But here I go again......:drool: :drool:

Heh, glad it's getting you more excited for the show! :up:

GibsonGirl said:

You know, I don't think Echoes was ever performed on the Pros & Cons tour. I've never seen it listed anywhere, in any case. Do you remember where you saw it? I could check it out and see if it was maybe a one-off thing during an encore or something. These were the standard first sets for 84 and 85:

Money
If
Welcome To The Machine
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
In The Flesh
Nobody Home
Hey You
The Gunner's Dream

Welcome To The Machine
Money
If
Wish You Were Here
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
Southampton Dock
The Gunner's Dream
In The Flesh?
Nobody Home
Have A Cigar
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1)
The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)

Encores for both were Brain Damage and Eclipse.

A synth shakuhachi was used on some of the '85 songs, which made them sound like typical 80s shit. :yuck: I avoid '85 bootlegs as a result. The '84 Pros & Cons shows were perfect.

Heh, glad it's getting you more excited for the show! :up:

It was the LA Forum I believe. I probably got it confused with Set the Controls.

I was just reading today about memory playing tricks on you. :confused:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl - Where did you get those setlists. I'm curious now where the Floyd shows I saw were. I know the Wall was at the Sports Arena, and I'm pretty sure I saw another one there also. Wish You Were Here or Animals, possibly. I'd like to see what was played. Can't believe how good the setlist looks for the Pros and Cons shows and I hardly remember the Floyd half. Alzheimer's kickin in? :ohmy:

Thanking you in advance :applaud:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

img0835yx1.jpg

"DO YOU STILL LIKE OUR PIG?! He's an old pig, but he's still a big pig!" Even after over twenty years, that quote still works!

Some pig! :drool: I love the "fear builds walls" thing...awesome! Pretty relevant pig.

Incredible review! It sounds like you had an amazing time...so glad everything worked out for you :up:

I have ticket for the June 21 show.

We have a huge mini fah conflict that night and my tickets are for sale but...

After reading GibsonGirl's review I'm gonna go to the show and try to find someone to go with me.

~feeling a wee bit guitly~

June 21st for myself as well.

My dad introduced me to PF back in 1980 when I was nine. The Wall got many plays on the road trips (still does!).
I suprised my dad a few months back with tixs to this show. He is pretty excited.

GibsonGirl said:
Photos continued:

img0950db8.jpg

Front row, Another Brick In The Wall

This one's calling out for some Photoshop correction (unless you're trying for a silhoutte, in which case nevar mind).

fah said:
I have ticket for the June 21 show.

We have a huge mini fah conflict that night and my tickets are for sale but...

After reading GibsonGirl's review I'm gonna go to the show and try to find someone to go with me.

~feeling a wee bit guitly~

I really hope you get to go :hyper: :hug:

GibsonGirl said:

I was going for the silhouette effect, but that looks awesome! :up:

hardyharhar, there are setlists listed here on the RoIOs: http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?list=tours&choice=9

In The Flesh/Animals Tour: http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?list=tours&choice=16

Wish You Were Here Tour: http://www.pf-db.com/index.php?list=tours&choice=17

Thanks GibsonGirl :up: That's quite a show (wywh) that I have little recollection of :huh: Except undercover LAPD busting people left and right for smoking pot. :down:

Nice work ntalwar. I like the silhouette because it's easy to tell who is standing there with the bass and the backdrop is also black & white. :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks, phanan. :)

And oh man, hardyharhar...you were at the show where the LAPD made all those arrests? That concert is legendary! Inspired a scene in The Wall movie! That's incredible. Again, I wish I wasn't born in 1987.

GibsonGirl said:
Thanks, phanan. :)

And oh man, hardyharhar...you were at the show where the LAPD made all those arrests? That concert is legendary! Inspired a scene in The Wall movie! That's incredible. Again, I wish I wasn't born in 1987.

I never knew that about the Wall, GibsonGirl. I'm gonna have to watch it again. I remember seeing arrests in the arena, my friend saw it in the restrooms. It was a very uptight, negative vibe inside. But fortunately for most, the lapd made it known what their plans were. So, being Pink Floyd fans, we all took appropriate measures before entering. :wink:

hardyharhar said:

I never knew that about the Wall, GibsonGirl. I'm gonna have to watch it again. I remember seeing arrests in the arena, my friend saw it in the restrooms. It was a very uptight, negative vibe inside. But fortunately for most, the lapd made it known what their plans were. So, being Pink Floyd fans, we all took appropriate measures before entering. :wink:

Wow, yeah, that scene where the cops are slamming the kids up against cars outside a stadium is based directly on all of that nonsense. I just had a listen to the commentary between Roger Waters and Gerald Scarfe on my DVD, and here's what Roger had to say about it:

WATERS: "The scenes of the police hark back to some gigs that we did in Los Angeles. Um, I think the police chief was called Davis, in those days, that name is lodged somewhere in my memory. And he decided to attack rock 'n' roll in general. And Pink Floyd in particular, because we dared to put on a rock 'n' roll show downtown in LA in a building called the Sports Arena, which I think hadn't been used for rock 'n' roll before. And so they decided to attack us. And that was I think on the Animals tour in 1977. And they searched every single kid with a ticket that went into a show, and made tons and tons of arrests. Which led, I'm happy to say, the aftermath of that was a class action taken out against the Los Angeles Police Department on behalf of everybody who went to the shows."

So you and your friends witnessed a piece of music history right there! That's awesome. Not for what the LAPD did, of course, but for the fact that you got to see something that inspired a scene in the movie.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

http://stage6.divx.com/Pink-Floyd/video/1316087/Roger-Waters---The-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon-Tour

FANTASTIC four cam video of Dark Side performed in its entirity. It looks pro-shot, but I think most of it is taken from the video screens. This is from Columbia 2007. Incredible! On the negative side, the audio feed seems to be from the in-ear monitors, so you can hear the click track and Roger's count-ins. Even so, this is by far the BEST video production put together of the show.

If you want to download it directly instead of watching online, click here: http://divx-348.vo.llnwd.net/stage6vid/1316087.divx

This just makes me want to see the last show of the tour even more. :sad:

I took some 20 second clips with my camera phone (that's the limit). I'm emailing them to myself and will see if I can open/upload them later :up:

the seating chart for the Hollywood Bowl
seatingchart.gif

We were in the first row of Section "N1"

The clips aren't all that exciting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1SHN23o-ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta6NLJzhY4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvjI0K7I7bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FcTARSay2k

I have a couple more, a few from prior to the show (for setting). They include the stage and Hound Dog (Elvis) and My Funny Valentine. And something else I think. I didn't upload those, but I guess I could if anyone cares. Or I could email the files, don't think 20 sec. clips can be that big, right?

Another great performance. Because it's so close to the summer solstice, the sun has barely set by 7:45, the time last years shows started around. At 8:00 I'm actually into the songs being played on the radio that begins the show. I want them to go on so it will be darker when they hit the stage. Around 8:10 they roll out, but for me things don't really kick in til Set the Controls. Shine On kicks as does WYWH, Perfect Sense, Fletcher Home. Sheep is phenomenal. Roger says they're taking a "15 minute break, and I mean 15 minutes". Then we'll be back to perform Dark Side of the Moon. Huge cheer for that brings a big grin to Roger, as he turns to walk off. People charge for the smoking area. I don't know why. :wink:

I've always liked the long intro to DSOTM, the beat that gets louder and louder leading into Breathe. But none of that tonight as the abbreviated screams leading into it throw me off kilter a bit and Breathe sorta slips by. On the Run though is awesome, and there is no let up from there on. Prism effects are tremendous tonight and the sound for whatever reason seems louder. :rockon:

Because of the config of the bowl, the people at the front are never closer than say 20 feet from Roger and the band. GibsonGirl, you lucked out at your venue getting so close. :applaud: It probably isn't like that at every venue.

As great as the concert was, I couldn't get the nagging thought out of my head why the Floyd aren't doing this themselves. I'm sure Mason & Wright would jump right on board if the two prima donnas could just get over themselves. Just something I was thinking about last night. Oh, the possibilities.........

One more tomorrow night :ohmy:

hardyharhar said:
Another great performance. Because it's so close to the summer solstice, the sun has barely set by 7:45, the time last years shows started around. At 8:00 I'm actually into the songs being played on the radio that begins the show. I want them to go on so it will be darker when they hit the stage. Around 8:10 they roll out, but for me things don't really kick in til Set the Controls. Shine On kicks as does WYWH, Perfect Sense, Fletcher Home. Sheep is phenomenal. Roger says they're taking a "15 minute break, and I mean 15 minutes". Then we'll be back to perform Dark Side of the Moon. Huge cheer for that brings a big grin to Roger, as he turns to walk off. People charge for the smoking area. I don't know why. :wink:

I'm glad you liked the show. Oh and HardyHarHar, need you really ask why everyone rushed to the smoking area? :wink: It's DSOTM afterall.

hardyharhar said:

Because of the config of the bowl, the people at the front are never closer than say 20 feet from Roger and the band. GibsonGirl, you lucked out at your venue getting so close. :applaud: It probably isn't like that at every venue.

The Hollywood Bowl's configuration looks like a terrible place to watch a show. :shrug: I'm surprised so many artists go there.

It's actually not a bad place, just real big. And the seats the normal person can afford are kinda far back. But you can bring in food and drink, and there are great hidden picnic areas inside where you can party a couple hours before the shows begin. Sometimes the stage is extended out into the seats, that helps quite a bit. And for surround sound like last night, it can't be beat. But generally, yes, the Forum or Staples, Greek Theater, etc.. give you a better opportunity at getting close to the band.

Screwtape - I checked at least one of the clips just now, and it still says 20 seconds. That's as long as my stinkin' cameraphone will record. Maybe you can retry.

The Hollywood Bowl, I believe, can hold about 20,000 people.

Oh, and Screwtape, hardyharhar was being his witty sarcastic self with the smoking comment :whistle:

:angel:

Back
Top Bottom