Roger Waters on tour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The local radio show was giving away tickets for one of the S.Calif shows (not the Hollywood Bowl), and you had to be the 20th caller with the correct answer to a trivia question: Who produced Pink FLoyd's first single, Adrian Layne? Hubby got in and won the tickets! :happy: :dance:

That's awesome! But I hope your husband told them it was Arnold Layne, not Adrian Layne. :lol:

No, I just typed the question wrong, I was in a hurry & excited. They asked the question, he had to come up with the answer. They are like 'how did you know that?'. He said 'I'm old', LOL. He didn't want to say his wife Googled it and found it online. Where else would people find out info they don't know? :der:

It looks like we might have HUGE mini fah softball conflict.

Mr fah and I were going to the show but Mr fah is coaching one of the mini fah teams and another mini fah has a game that night too :yikes:

Okay, here's the deal. This is the seating map...

DarienLakeAmphitheatre_all.gif

This is the seat available for each price range...

$147.50 = sec 203 row 8
$108.50 = sec 403 row 9
$65.50 = sec 504 row 5
$38.35 = Lawn (beyond 500 level)

Prices include ticketbastard fees. Since Orchestra is out, I'm thinking either splurge and go for sec 203 or either of the bottom 2. sec 403 looks like the worst option to me, regarding value for money. What do you guys think? :wink:

Last edited:
^I would wait - it's still 3 months away, and I've seen some great seats pop up at other venues. Keep checking TM. The 400 and up levels are going to suck. I haven't sat on lawn seats since high school :wink:.

Roger Waters, 6 June. Where to start? This is going to be a long post!

The show was easily the absolute best I've seen in all my life. And it almost didn't happen, thanks to the Ottawa Senators... I really can't even begin to describe what a brilliant time I had. It was perfect, absolutely perfect from start to finish. This was my first time seeing Roger Waters from the floor, and I think that had a lot to do with it. The atmosphere on the floor was great. Very warm, friendly and excited crowd. I was able to meet up with an older fan who I knew through e-mail and forum correspondence, which was great. Roger fans are the best bunch of people you could ever wish to be around!

The first set was flawless. Great sound, note-for-note perfection. I was surprised at how much heat you could feel coming off the stage at row six! Every time a firework, jet of flame or explosion went off, I was blasted with hot air. It was amazing. And the band! They were in top form and appeared to be having one hell of a good time. Especially Ian Ritchie (saxophone player) and Roger. I loved it that Roger was smiling at us all virtually non-stop. The people in the stands closest to the stage went wild any time he so much as nodded at them! "And up here in the stands, the fans are goin' wild..." He's a thrill to watch.

Best performance of the night was Perfect Sense, Parts I & II. Not only is it one of my favourite songs from Amused To Death, it's one of Roger's best live performances. A lot of people were sitting down (alas, some people will ALWAYS go to a RW show expecting to hear Pink Floyd songs and nothing else) but that didn't take away from it in the slightest. I was standing up, anyway. And mimicking all of Roger's moves as well. :wink: Loved it when he played air piano and air violin! Singing along with P.P. Arnold was amazing as well. I love her, she's fantastic.

Leaving Beirut was also a fun one. Most people didn't know the lyrics, but they really appreciated the message. If Bono had have been there, he would have exclaimed that Andy Fairweather-Low was on fire! Love his soloing in that song. Roger apparently does as well...air guitar! Roger was especially amusing to watch. He really gets into it. Wagging his arse like a dog during 'the bulldog is a poodle' bit and such. Almost everyone on the floor was sitting down for this one (at least in rows six and up, dunno what was going on behind me) and I used this to my advantage. Sang along to the whole thing. There's a part in the song that goes like this: Oh George! Oh George! That Texas education must have fucked you up when you were very small! Roger was standing in front of my section, so I stood up and shouted along, pumping my hand up on every syllable. He noticed, and seemed to get a kick out of it!

Sheep was also awesome. The whole band had fun on this one, along with the audience. You'd never think that yellow confetti and an inflatable pig could whip people up into such a frenzy, but boy did it ever! I didn't really pay much attention to the pig (I'd already seen it last year) and got in some more eye contact with ol' Rog instead. Sheep is my favourite Pink Floyd song, so it meant a lot to me.

The Dark Side set was also incredible. Everyone was on top form. Ian especially. His playing on Us And Them sent shivers up my spine! Don't know what Roger ever did without Ian prior to this tour. The man is an amazing sax player. One of the highlights was definitely Carol Kenyan doing Great Gig In The Sky. She's incredible. To see her belting out that one five rows away...nothing short of incredible. Everyone loved it! There was a woman standing two seats to the right of me who looked like she was going to flatline right there and then. The new videos used were brilliant. On The Run is enough to give you an epileptic fit. And Any Colour You Like is gorgeous! The colour on that screen is pristine. Perfect. The prism above the stage came out during the end of that song and stayed there until Eclipse. Man, that thing was incredible. They used a prism last year towards the end of the US leg, but it wasn't a laser prism! This is a fucking laser prism. I wish I had gone back a few rows to see it better. My neck still hurts from trying to see it from where I was.

The encore. Oh man, the encore... Had my greatest concert experience ever, there. The friend I met up with before the show and during intermission (what a great guy) brought me up to front row, slightly to the right of centre. Oh, it was incredible. If I didn't have the pictures, I would have thought I'd been dreaming. I really can't describe what it feels like to be standing about a metre from Roger Waters. I mean, for goodness' sake, the man wrote the lyrics for Billboard's longest-charting album ever. He's one of rock's biggest legends. And he was one metre away. It was so surreal. I didn't even bother looking at any other members of the band. Just danced there with everyone else at the front and sang along with a side-splitting grin on my face. Then, during Comfortably Numb...oh man. During the chorus, Roger was moving towards the right away from the microphone. I was singing along and swaying from side to side, completely lost in it all. Roger noticed, stopped right in front of me, looked directly into my eyes, grinned, and mouthed the words with me. It could have only lasted three or four seconds, but it felt like an eternity. It was so fucking incredible. There is nothing quite like singing along to one of your favourite songs with your favourite songwriter. Nothing like it at all.

And because of that moment, no other concert will ever top it.

Photos:

img0710vm3.jpg

In The Flesh

img0803qq1.jpg

P.P. Arnold during Perfect Sense

img0812in7.jpg

Leaving Beirut

img0824ur4.jpg

Dave, Snowy, Roger and Ian during Sheep. Classic Waters pose!

img0835yx1.jpg

"DO YOU STILL LIKE OUR PIG?! He's an old pig, but he's still a big pig!" Even after over twenty years, that quote still works!

img0853cq1.jpg

On The Run

img0947ka7.jpg

Hi, Rog!

More photos/video to come.

Last edited:
Photos continued:

img0716xu5.jpg

Fireworks during In The Flesh

img0785ae7.jpg

Roger gesturing to the crowd during The Fletcher Memorial Home

img0910zq2.jpg

Any Colour You Like

img0933yr8.jpg

The end of Dark Side

img0937bb7.jpg

The prism with the lasers shooting out of it.

img0950db8.jpg

Front row, Another Brick In The Wall

img0955uz7.jpg

Ian, Roger and Andy

img0960po2.jpg

Bring The Boys Back Home (with some leftover smoke from the cannon explosions)

DRUMROLL! My favourite picture:

img0962fn5.jpg

Why is this my favourite? Because I snapped it right after Roger and I sang that bit of Comfortably Numb together. He still has a bit of the smile left on his face, bless him!

That sounds like the greatest thing ever in the history of declaring "the greatest thing ever" :up::up::up:

I'm glad you got to experience that, Steph!

nothing beats floor!! It's great that you've had quite an amazing night!!

and not that it's important but you got way clearer shots than I did and we must've been around the same distance, what camera did you use if you don't mind?

Thanks, LMP. :hug: Yeah, it pretty much is the most amazing thing ever. I could probably die quite happily, knowing that I've sung along to Comfortably Numb with the man who wrote it smiling at me.

Mofo said:
nothing beats floor!! It's great that you've had quite an amazing night!!

and not that it's important but you got way clearer shots than I did and we must've been around the same distance, what camera did you use if you don't mind?

Thanks, Mofo! You're right, nothing beats floor tickets. The two most-enjoyable concerts I've ever seen (Roger Hodgson of Supertramp and this one) have been on the floor.

And I've got a Canon PowerShot A540, 6.0 mega pixels. It's a great little camera. Some issues with the zoom, though...I mean, I took about 200 photos at that show and only 90 of them came out okay. My first photo from front row came out like absolute shit!

img0941ab4.jpg

:yuck: Damn blurry pictures.

yeah it's a bit difficult taking good shots at a concert, I'm curious because I'm planning on buying a new one and I ALWAYS sneak in my cameras to concerts so I really need a good one with a great autofocus and a good zoom but thanks!!

And 3 months after seeing Roger Waters I stand by my initial claim the best freaking concert I've seen

GibsonGirl said:

And I've got a Canon PowerShot A540, 6.0 mega pixels. It's a great little camera. Some issues with the zoom, though...I mean, I took about 200 photos at that show and only 90 of them came out okay. My first photo from front row came out like absolute shit!

img0941ab4.jpg

:yuck: Damn blurry pictures.

Great review and experience there with Comfy.

A hint on the pics - don't use auto mode for concerts because the shutter speed will be too slow. I actually took my RW pics with that exact model you have, but using shutter prioirty mode (at a higher shutter speed).

Thanks for the tip, ntalwar! I wondered if I should have messed about with the settings... I'll have to remember that for when The White Stripes come to town.

Forgot to post my videos:

Sheep: Clip 1 / Clip 2 / Clip 3 / Clip 4 (yes, that is me shouting 'ROGER!' :uhoh: )
Leaving Beirut: Clip 1 / Clip 2

They're only short. I was terrified I'd have my camera taken away from me. It almost happened last year in Toronto while I was filming Wish You Were Here. Didn't want a repeat of that!

Last edited:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Photos:

img0710vm3.jpg

In The Flesh

img0803qq1.jpg

P.P. Arnold during Perfect Sense

img0812in7.jpg

Leaving Beirut

img0824ur4.jpg

Dave, Snowy, Roger and Ian during Sheep. Classic Waters pose!

img0835yx1.jpg

"DO YOU STILL LIKE OUR PIG?! He's an old pig, but he's still a big pig!" Even after over twenty years, that quote still works!

img0853cq1.jpg

On The Run

img0947ka7.jpg

Hi, Rog!

More photos/video to come.

Roger Waters, 6 June. Where to start? This is going to be a long post!

The show was easily the absolute best I've seen in all my life. And it almost didn't happen, thanks to the Ottawa Senators... I really can't even begin to describe what a brilliant time I had. It was perfect, absolutely perfect from start to finish. This was my first time seeing Roger Waters from the floor, and I think that had a lot to do with it. The atmosphere on the floor was great. Very warm, friendly and excited crowd. I was able to meet up with an older fan who I knew through e-mail and forum correspondence, which was great. Roger fans are the best bunch of people you could ever wish to be around!

The first set was flawless. Great sound, note-for-note perfection. I was surprised at how much heat you could feel coming off the stage at row six! Every time a firework, jet of flame or explosion went off, I was blasted with hot air. It was amazing. And the band! They were in top form and appeared to be having one hell of a good time. Especially Ian Ritchie (saxophone player) and Roger. I loved it that Roger was smiling at us all virtually non-stop. The people in the stands closest to the stage went wild any time he so much as nodded at them! "And up here in the stands, the fans are goin' wild..." He's a thrill to watch.

Best performance of the night was Perfect Sense, Parts I & II. Not only is it one of my favourite songs from Amused To Death, it's one of Roger's best live performances. A lot of people were sitting down (alas, some people will ALWAYS go to a RW show expecting to hear Pink Floyd songs and nothing else) but that didn't take away from it in the slightest. I was standing up, anyway. And mimicking all of Roger's moves as well. :wink: Loved it when he played air piano and air violin! Singing along with P.P. Arnold was amazing as well. I love her, she's fantastic.

Leaving Beirut was also a fun one. Most people didn't know the lyrics, but they really appreciated the message. If Bono had have been there, he would have exclaimed that Andy Fairweather-Low was on fire! Love his soloing in that song. Roger apparently does as well...air guitar! Roger was especially amusing to watch. He really gets into it. Wagging his arse like a dog during 'the bulldog is a poodle' bit and such. Almost everyone on the floor was sitting down for this one (at least in rows six and up, dunno what was going on behind me) and I used this to my advantage. Sang along to the whole thing. There's a part in the song that goes like this: Oh George! Oh George! That Texas education must have fucked you up when you were very small! Roger was standing in front of my section, so I stood up and shouted along, pumping my hand up on every syllable. He noticed, and seemed to get a kick out of it!

Sheep was also awesome. The whole band had fun on this one, along with the audience. You'd never think that yellow confetti and an inflatable pig could whip people up into such a frenzy, but boy did it ever! I didn't really pay much attention to the pig (I'd already seen it last year) and got in some more eye contact with ol' Rog instead. Sheep is my favourite Pink Floyd song, so it meant a lot to me.

The Dark Side set was also incredible. Everyone was on top form. Ian especially. His playing on Us And Them sent shivers up my spine! Don't know what Roger ever did without Ian prior to this tour. The man is an amazing sax player. One of the highlights was definitely Carol Kenyan doing Great Gig In The Sky. She's incredible. To see her belting out that one five rows away...nothing short of incredible. Everyone loved it! There was a woman standing two seats to the right of me who looked like she was going to flatline right there and then. The new videos used were brilliant. On The Run is enough to give you an epileptic fit. And Any Colour You Like is gorgeous! The colour on that screen is pristine. Perfect. The prism above the stage came out during the end of that song and stayed there until Eclipse. Man, that thing was incredible. They used a prism last year towards the end of the US leg, but it wasn't a laser prism! This is a fucking laser prism. I wish I had gone back a few rows to see it better. My neck still hurts from trying to see it from where I was.

The encore. Oh man, the encore... Had my greatest concert experience ever, there. The friend I met up with before the show and during intermission (what a great guy) brought me up to front row, slightly to the right of centre. Oh, it was incredible. If I didn't have the pictures, I would have thought I'd been dreaming. I really can't describe what it feels like to be standing about a metre from Roger Waters. I mean, for goodness' sake, the man wrote the lyrics for Billboard's longest-charting album ever. He's one of rock's biggest legends. And he was one metre away. It was so surreal. I didn't even bother looking at any other members of the band. Just danced there with everyone else at the front and sang along with a side-splitting grin on my face. Then, during Comfortably Numb...oh man. During the chorus, Roger was moving towards the right away from the microphone. I was singing along and swaying from side to side, completely lost in it all. Roger noticed, stopped right in front of me, looked directly into my eyes, grinned, and mouthed the words with me. It could have only lasted three or four seconds, but it felt like an eternity. It was so fucking incredible. There is nothing quite like singing along to one of your favourite songs with your favourite songwriter. Nothing like it at all.

I reversed the pics with your review when I quoted. Those pics are awesome! I'm so happy for you and the experience you had. Those last few sentences of your review brought tears (of joy) to my eye. I'm so excited for next week now. Hubby read the review and I'm sure he'll post/comment on it later. :up: :up:

GibsonGirl said:
Then, during Comfortably Numb...oh man. During the chorus, Roger was moving towards the right away from the microphone. I was singing along and swaying from side to side, completely lost in it all. Roger noticed, stopped right in front of me, looked directly into my eyes, grinned, and mouthed the words with me. It could have only lasted three or four seconds, but it felt like an eternity. It was so fucking incredible. There is nothing quite like singing along to one of your favourite songs with your favourite songwriter. Nothing like it at all.

Great review Steph! I, er, wish I was there!

So which part of Comfortably Numb were you and Roger singing?

Was it when he was singing these lyrics?

"You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying"

Because if that was the case that would be :combust:

Thanks, Lila. :hug: Hope you guys have a fab time at the show next week!

BonoManiac said:

Great review Steph! I, er, wish I was there!

So which part of Comfortably Numb were you and Roger singing?

Was it when he was singing these lyrics?

"You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying"

Because if that was the case that would be :combust:

You know, I can't even remember exactly which lines it was! I'm fairly certain it was the first chorus. I was so in awe of what was happening, I think my brain rather turned to mush. :lol: The only thing going on in my mind was, holy fuck, Roger Waters is in front of me and he's smiling at me. I'm positively certain it was towards the end of the chorus, though. I think it was "Now I've got that feeling once again, I can't explain, you would not understand, this is not how I am." I'll have to wait and see if any videos pop up on YouTube, then I'll know for certain.

That is awesome GG. Comfortably Numb is my all-time favorite song, and to sing along with Roger must have been quite an experience. Reminds me of Robert Plant inviting the crowd to join him in Black Dog.

Screwtape2 said:

:cute: Life altering experiences FTW! :up:

That's exactly what the Floyd were for my friends when they saw DSOTM first performed at the Hollywood Bowl 35 years ago. And for myself, I saw PF do DSOTM at the WYWH? tour, saw the Animals tour and the Wall. But visually and sonically, these Waters shows have been as good as any of those, if not better. Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it.

GibsonGirl, I am so happy for you. There really is nothing like being that close to a performer that means so much to you. And on top of that, they are blowing you away with music. I just may have to try and weasel my way down to the front for a bit next week. :wink: But after 3 shows last year, I've come to the conclusion that DSOTM is best right in the middle of the bowl because of the insane surround sound they have there. The clocks and other effects are literally flying all over the place when you can hear the back monitors as well. Very much like wearing headphones. But if you only have one shot at it, the front definitely rules. :rockon:

I still remember the Pros and Cons of Hitchiking tour because it was the first time I was seeing him without Floyd. The first half was all PF material (I think Echoes + a few others). I wasn't real impressed as I recall,maybe he was a bit apprehensive himself playing PF material. So before the 2nd half began there was a film playing (part of it the western 'Shane') when a giant fireball came out of nowhere, shot across the stage and then a giant explosion, at which point Pros and Cons began. This half was tremendous and I was sold on Roger from that day forward. He does big rock theater as well as anyone.

Now I'm looking at these pics and just going nuts with anticipation, remembering how great this show is.
:drool: :drool: Thanks for the great review, GG!

GibsonGirl said:
Thanks, Lila. :hug: Hope you guys have a fab time at the show next week!

You know, I can't even remember exactly which lines it was! I'm fairly certain it was the first chorus. I was so in awe of what was happening, I think my brain rather turned to mush. :lol: The only thing going on in my mind was, holy fuck, Roger Waters is in front of me and he's smiling at me. I'm positively certain it was towards the end of the chorus, though. I think it was "Now I've got that feeling once again, I can't explain, you would not understand, this is not how I am." I'll have to wait and see if any videos pop up on YouTube, then I'll know for certain.

tearsofjoy.gif
tearsofjoy.gif
tearsofjoy.gif

And you are right, there's nothing like being up close, which I was fortunate enough to get back in 2005 with U2 and with Maddy up on stage @ the final show in Hawaii.
tearsofjoy.gif

hardyharhar said:

That's exactly what the Floyd were for my friends when they saw DSOTM first performed at the Hollywood Bowl 35 years ago. And for myself, I saw PF do DSOTM at the WYWH? tour, saw the Animals tour and the Wall. But visually and sonically, these Waters shows have been as good as any of those, if not better. Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it.

GibsonGirl, I am so happy for you. There really is nothing like being that close to a performer that means so much to you. And on top of that, they are blowing you away with music.

I think what makes these shows so special is that there is a special energy in the band knowing that this might be Roger's last time on the road. It will be a sad day when Roger stops touring which could be after this tour. If this is his last tour, I think he'll hold these shows close to his heart especially because it is shows him just how much his music has affected people. That is the greatest gift you can give an artist. So in a sense when GG was singing Comfortably Numb with Roger, she was giving him what Roger was giving her. That's a very beautiful thing. I’m really glad GG got to experience that connection. If any fan deserved that it was GG.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Thanks for the tip, ntalwar! I wondered if I should have messed about with the settings... I'll have to remember that for when The White Stripes come to town.

Nice videos and nice shouting!

The other shots look great. I forgot to add - you'll probably have to increase the ISO to 200 or 400 as well on the A540 to compensate for the higher shutter speed (so you don't get underexposure). And one can also check the exposure in the preview window and adjust the shutter speed/ISO as needed.

Screwtape2 said:

I think what makes these shows so special is that there is a special energy in the band knowing that this might be Roger's last time on the road. It will be a sad day when Roger stops touring which could be after this tour. If this is his last tour, I think he'll hold these shows close to his heart especially because it is shows him just how much his music has affected people. That is the greatest gift you can give an artist. So in a sense when GG was singing Comfortably Numb with Roger, she was giving him what Roger was giving her. That's a very beautiful thing. I’m really glad GG got to experience that connection. If any fan deserved that it was GG.

Aw, thanks so much Screwtape. :) That was lovely. I hadn't even thought of it from the other way around... It must be such a powerful feeling, knowing that your music is still capable of gripping generations over thirty years since its release. I really hope Roger gets the album he's working on out soon...he's bound to do a few one-offs for it.

Thanks as well, hardy! My, you've seen a lot of great tours... I always curse the fact that I was born in 1987 and not 1967. I'd love to be able to travel back in time and see Animals, The Wall and Pros & Cons performed in their entirities. You're a lucky man! :wink: By the way, which Pros & Cons leg of the tour was it? 1984 leg with Clapton or 1985? Judging from all the bootlegs I have, 1984 was far superior, especially when it came to the Floyd songs. 1985 saw the real beginning of the "80s-ified" Floyd songs.

Have a fabulous time at the upcoming show! :up:

GibsonGirl said:

Aw, thanks so much Screwtape. :) That was lovely. I hadn't even thought of it from the other way around... It must be such a powerful feeling, knowing that your music is still capable of gripping generations over thirty years since its release. I really hope Roger gets the album he's working on out soon...he's bound to do a few one-offs for it.

Thanks as well, hardy! My, you've seen a lot of great tours... I always curse the fact that I was born in 1987 and not 1967. I'd love to be able to travel back in time and see Animals, The Wall and Pros & Cons performed in their entirities. You're a lucky man! :wink: By the way, which Pros & Cons leg of the tour was it? 1984 leg with Clapton or 1985? Judging from all the bootlegs I have, 1984 was far superior, especially when it came to the Floyd songs. 1985 saw the real beginning of the "80s-ified" Floyd songs.

Have a fabulous time at the upcoming show! :up:

This is Hardyharhar. Just didn't want to sign my Lilpal off for one post.

I don't recall Clapton being involved, so it must have been '85. And judging by your boots, it probably was. Was Echoes played at both legs? Lila was there with me, but I wonder if she remembers that :ohmy:

I do feel lucky that I was able to catch some great shows.
But believe me, in 20 years you're going to be glad you WERE born in 1987 :wink:

Since I've seen your pics and review, I can't get next week out of my head. I went to pick up the ladies pizza and I'm thinking about the start of the show singing to myself, "So you....thought you......might like to .......go to the show....BOOM, BOOM BOOM!! I was getting freaking goose bumps. And then I'm thinking how emotional I was at the last show last year during 'Us and Them', because I was thinking this is it. I'll probably never see this again. But here I go again......:drool: :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

When it's preformed live, Perfect Sense is one of the most beautiful peices of music ever written. It's impossible not to have tears in your eyes when listening to that song. I always get goosebumps when I hear P.P. Arnold sing the line "why do I have to keep reading these technical manuals?" :cry: So beautiful.

GibsonGirl said:

Few artists have fans as devoted as Roger’s. It is stunning the way people generation after generation ask the basic question of DSOTM…does humanity have the capability to be humane? Influence like that is something that most artists don’t often see in their lifetime. As much as Roger gives to fans on this tour, I don’t think it equals what they’ve given him. To be such a large part of that is something to always cherish, GG. :)

I think Roger’s next album could be a masterpiece with current world events. Amused To Death has so much relevance today. I could see something very similiar from him on his next album. Hopefully, this tour re-energizes him enough to finish it.

Screwtape - I'll be checking out your prog set again because you have Perfect Sense and another on there that I don't have here to listen to. Get me ready for the show:up:

Back
Top Bottom