Roger Waters on tour! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:27 PM
My pleasure, LMP!

And yep, xavi, I've got a few. I don't have very many early Pink Floyd shows, but I did rip the audio from my Live At Pompeii DVD (which is amazing, you should buy it.) It's not live in the traditional sense because there was no audience around when they recorded their performances. The music itself was recorded live, though. So no pesky screaming from the audience to destroy the perfection that is Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. Listen for Rick Wright's crazy keyboard section in the middle!

Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii version (1972)
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=634323A5492E77A0

Roger's version has always been very different to the original version he wrote for Pink Floyd. It's a lot more...I don't know what the word is! "More rocking" in the middle, I suppose. I still prefer the Floyd version, but his is very good too. YSI is being a tremendous pain in the arse right now and it doesn't seem to want to let me upload the song. Never mind, I'll try later. I've also got a video for you from an early Floyd concert. It's a brilliant performance! I'll have it up for you ASAP, xavi.

As for the youtube videos, yep, I've seen them. I'd advise against watching them, however... Roger seems to be having some severe vocal problems right now, which is to be expected because he's a lot older and hasn't done a major tour for a few years. In that first show at Rio, he even had to use backing tracks to help him out on a few songs because his voice was so shot. I'm pretty confident, however, that his voice will improve as he gets back into the swing of things again. At least I hope it will. I don't know why on earth he feels he has to struggle through difficult PF songs when he could easily do more of his solo work. It would be a million times easier on his voice. Come on, Roger, you're not 36 anymore, you're almost 63. I'm amazed he was able to sing the way he did in his 40s and in some respects, a little disappointed, because it has obviously taken its toll on him.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
My pleasure, LMP!

And yep, xavi, I've got a few. I don't have very many early Pink Floyd shows, but I did rip the audio from my Live At Pompeii DVD (which is amazing, you should buy it.) It's not live in the traditional sense because there was no audience around when they recorded their performances. The music itself was recorded live, though. So no pesky screaming from the audience to destroy the perfection that is Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. Listen for Rick Wright's crazy keyboard section in the middle!

Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii version (1972)
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=634323A5492E77A0

Roger's version has always been very different to the original version he wrote for Pink Floyd. It's a lot more...I don't know what the word is! "More rocking" in the middle, I suppose. I still prefer the Floyd version, but his is very good too. YSI is being a tremendous pain in the arse right now and it doesn't seem to want to let me upload the song. Never mind, I'll try later. I've also got a video for you from an early Floyd concert. It's a brilliant performance! I'll have it up for you ASAP, xavi.
Thak you so much, I really appreciate it

Old 06-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

As for the youtube videos, yep, I've seen them. I'd advise against watching them, however... Roger seems to be having some severe vocal problems right now, which is to be expected because he's a lot older and hasn't done a major tour for a few years.
Yeah - I just noticed the voice problem on a couple of videos. Hopefully the voice will recover. I also wish he would start making the guitarists use Strats. Even though the Les Paul and Tele sound tonally correct, it would be nice to see Strats.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #64
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:27 AM
For those of us in Los Angeles, a 3rd night is being added for the Hollywood Bowl. American Express pre-sale now
Old 06-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #65
The Fly

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track. Watching the Rock in Rio tracks on YouTube show a couple "Milli Vanilli" moments, particularly parts of the Gunner's Dream where Rog is nowhere near the microphone and yet magically singing the words, LOL!

I know Waters voice has been poor for some time and was never a strength, but thought he could croak out a few numbers with his backing singers and Carin covering the tough parts.

Disappointing to here/see the backing track/lip synch reports. I'm sure the music is still top notch but this seems something of a Pink Floyd tribute band replete with processed vocals. Also interesting of note is that Waters' solo career (ie the last 23 years) is represented by a mere 2 numbers, further heightening the nostalgia of it all.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yea its sad to see the problems he has been having with his voice.

Anyone find it interesting how David Gilmour's voice hasn't aged that badly?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

Anyone find it interesting how David Gilmour's voice hasn't aged that badly?
Not at all. Compare Gilmour's PF/solo career vocals to Roger's PF/solo career vocals. There are very few times when Gilmour pushed his voice to quite the same extremes that Roger did. I'd actually be more surprised if David's voice had aged worse than Roger's.

As for the lip synching claims on his first show, it's not really "a lot" of the numbers. The only conclusive evidence of it can be seen in The Gunner's Dream (a song that has since been dropped), The Fletcher Memorial Home, Have A Cigar, and maybe Sheep. The rest is all live. Three songs out of a three hour show. My feeling is that he's just using backing tracks on the difficult songs (which were all recorded now before the tour in 2006, BTW, not lifted off the albums - evidence that he CAN still sing them) initially to make sure he doesn't damage his voice for the entire tour. It's still too early to tell. And if he doesn't feel confident he can hit the high notes a few shows down the line, well, that's three songs he can take out of the setlist. It's not half as big an issue as people in certain Pink Floyd forums are making it out to be. The frustrating thing is that the people making most of the noise are major David Gilmour fans who'd like nothing more than to see Roger's reputation ruined. That stupid age-old fan divide always causes problems. I mean, sure, I'd prefer it if he was singing something like Have A Cigar live, but if he can't, so be it...you're still getting a good show. Some people are actually suggesting that he should stop touring entirely just because he can't do three songs out of a three hour set! The thing that worries me is that it'll be people like that who could end up pissing him off with their attitude and cause him to pull the plug on the tour entirely.

And I really want to see him so I really don't want that to happen. Don't forget, this was just supposed to be a one-off thing for the Mangy-Cours show. He didn't have to schedule a full blown tour, but he did anyway.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkfire
Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track.
I shelled out big bucks on the ticket auction, so I hope his voice improves. And for Gilmour, I haven't really researched it, but I'm not sure why he only played 5 cities (at small venues) in North America, and not my city .
Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Probably the most entertaining rock concert I've ever attended.
Roger .

Photos coming - but they didn't allow DSLRs .
Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track. Watching the Rock in Rio tracks on YouTube show a couple "Milli Vanilli" moments, particularly parts of the Gunner's Dream where Rog is nowhere near the microphone and yet magically singing the words, LOL!

I know Waters voice has been poor for some time and was never a strength, but thought he could croak out a few numbers with his backing singers and Carin covering the tough parts.

Disappointing to here/see the backing track/lip synch reports. I'm sure the music is still top notch but this seems something of a Pink Floyd tribute band replete with processed vocals. Also interesting of note is that Waters' solo career (ie the last 23 years) is represented by a mere 2 numbers, further heightening the nostalgia of it all.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Unfortunately, Waters has resorted to lip-synching a lot of the numbers he's playing this tour, or at least (by accounts) singing along to a prominent backing track.
It was my opinion that this is not the case now, or at least not noticeable - I was 25 feet or so away from him.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Some of Roger :

David Kilminster, guitar virtuoso :
Old 09-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Nice stage setup, lighting/effects, and pyrotechnics :

Old 09-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh man, I totally forgot to post a review here at Interference! Your pictures are amazing, ntalwar. I love the second one during Sheep. How fucking awesome were those fire plumes?!

The show I saw in Toronto was the best rock concert I've ever seen in my life. I'm being completely serious. Everything about it blew me away, despite the fact that I was quite far from the stage. Roger was having an awesome time and it really translated through into the performance. The crowd was awesome too. Fucking LOUD! Not to mention all of the little theatrical extras that made it that much more entertaining to witness. We got fireworks, jets of fire, exploding cannons, pink confetti, floating astronauts, flying pigs and a fucking brilliant video show. I had the time of my life. And I agree re: the lip synching. I watched the video screens extremely closely on Sheep, Have A Cigar and The Fletcher Memorial Home. Sheep is definitely live, Have A Cigar I'm fairly certain of as well. As for Fletcher, I think he might still be getting a little assistance on that one, but it was barely noticeable. To see a 63-year-old man singing along with a pre-recorded track on one (extremely difficult, BTW) song out of a three hour show doesn't bother me in the slightest. The message of that song is far more important than whether or not the high parts are being sung live, and I think that's the point people are missing. The Fletcher Memorial Home is one of the greatest songs Roger has ever written, and I'm glad he hasn't dropped it. It's very poignant in the state of today's politics. Speaking of politics, I'm also glad he didn't drop Leaving Beirut for the sake of the American audiences. I'd love to see the crowd reaction to that one in the more Republican states.

My only complaint would be Snowy and Dave during Money. They shouldn't play the outro together because I haven't heard one bootleg where they've been in perfect pitch with one another. Toronto wasn't an exception to this. Just let Dave play it, he's fucking incredible.

To make a long story short, if you're a Pink Floyd fan and you have the opportunity to see Roger live, DO IT. You won't be disappointed. I think this is his best tour since Pros & Cons. In The Flesh was good, but DSOTM is blowing it away.

Here are some of my pictures...I snuck in a digital SLR but they caught me taking video during WYWH and told me to stop using the camera or they'd throw me out. Since you got the close ups, ntalwar, I'll show a few I got of the screens before security berated me.

In The Flesh:

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond:

And some video.

In The Flesh clip 1 / In The Flesh clip 2
SOYCD clip 1 / SOYCD clip 2
Wish You Were Here (long clip)

I wish I hadn't filmed so long during WYWH...it would have been fucking fantastic to get some of the pig. He floated right above us!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

^Glad you had a great time! I posted this in another thread, and I thought of you as I was letting them go:

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

The morning of the Roger Waters show in Toronto earlier this week, I pulled up front rows in the closest section to the stage - 109, I think, but I had to let them go because I couldn't make it.
Admittedly, I'm a bigger Gilmour fan than Waters, and so I do feel lucky to have seen Gilmour earlier in the year in a more intimate setting, but Waters would have been awesome as well.

Tags
pink floyd, roger waters