Roger Waters on tour! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:41 AM
I'll be at the Bowl. The Hollywood Bowl

Old 05-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Q&A: Roger Waters revisits Pink Floyd's "Dark Side"
Fri May 5, 2006 10:56 PM ET

NEW YORK (Billboard) - On March 17, 1973, a band in musical transition named Pink Floyd hit the Top 200 chart with the release of its new album, "Dark Side of the Moon." It entered the chart at No. 95, the top debut that week. And then a funny thing happened: It never left.

Or almost never, anyway.

More than 14 years later -- 736 weeks, to be precise -- in July 1988, it fell off the Billboard 200. Add a later run on that chart and another 759 weeks on the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart, and Pink Floyd this week reaches the staggering plane of 1,500 weeks on the charts.

The runner-up for time on the Billboard 200, Bob Marley & the Wailers' "Legend," is several years behind, with a mere 845 weeks under its belt.

Former Pink Floyd frontman Roger Waters, who will perform the entire "Dark Side of the Moon" album on his 18-city North American solo tour this fall, talked with Billboard about the album.

Q: Why do you think this record has struck such a chord with so many different generations?

A: Musically, this thing has really stood the test of time. There was something about the symbiosis of the musical talents of the four of us that worked really well. But also, in terms of the lyrical content, philosophically it holds an appeal to each successive generation because it feels like it gives you permission to question things, maybe, which is something that is very appealing to us as we hit puberty and drift beyond it into real life.

Q: Did you feel like you had accomplished your goals in the studio?

A: When the record was finished, I took a reel-to-reel copy home with me, and I remember playing it for my wife then, and her bursting into tears when it was finished. And I thought, "This has obviously struck a chord." I was kinda pleased by that. I thought to myself, "Wow, this is a pretty complete piece of work," and I had every confidence that people would respond to it.

Q: The imagery is a big part of the album's legacy.

A: Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey Powell designed it at Hipgnosis. They came in with like six or seven ideas for album covers and threw them on the floor in the control room, and we all, as one man went, "That one!" There wasn't any conversation. There is just something so cool about it.

Q: Did "Dark Side" mark a turning point for Pink Floyd in the studio?

A: Yeah. Up until "Dark Side," we were a very cohesive team. We were very much a band, we worked very closely together, and we were content to do that. ("Dark Side") marked a watershed in that after that, (recording) became more and more problematic. With "Dark Side" we had sort of achieved what we'd set out to achieve as young men going into the music business. After that we clung together out of fear more than out of hope.

Q: You plan to play the album in its entirety on your upcoming tour. How did that come about?

A: It was a request from Formula I in France. They wanted a big event to go on July 14, the day before the French Grand Prix, at Magny-Course, about 100 kilometers south of Paris. Somebody rather fancifully suggested Pink Floyd playing "Dark Side of the Moon," and somebody else rather fancifully approached various people who said, "Are you f---ing insane? It's not going to happen." So they asked me ... The more I've worked on it, the more the idea has grown on me. I'm going downtown as we speak to work on visuals for "Dark Side of the Moon" and the rest of the show. I've got a great band together, and I have every hope that we will do the work justice.

Reuters/Billboard

Old 05-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 09:41 AM
Waters will also be performing next month in Israel - tickets are flying off the shelves!!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:41 AM
ill be at the Post Gazette Pavilion on 9-24 baybayy!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Anyone know if his "David Gilmour" will be the same guy(s) as on the In The Flesh DVD?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 09:41 AM
Waters is live in concert on AOL on june 2nd.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #52
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
Anyone know if his "David Gilmour" will be the same guy(s) as on the In The Flesh DVD?
yea, snowy white and them are gonna be there again.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
No, Doyle Bramhall II is not coming back for this one (thank God.) Snowy White and Jon Carin are still on board though. Doyle has been replaced with Dave Kilminster, who is awesome.

But man oh man, people, check out these pictures! http://www.pinkfloydz.com/roger2006/index2june.htm

Fireworks! Everyone's favourite circular video projector, Mr. Screen! And good god, he's playing Sheep (and singing it well, judging by the partial bootleg of the show I downloaded). Those of us who are going to be seeing Roger are in for an excellent time.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

wow he played "set the controls" one my favorite pink floyd songs

have any bootlegs surfaced yet?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #55
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:41 AM

I just got The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, what an awesome album

Does he play songs from that album often?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I'll be at the Bowl. The Hollywood Bowl

would love to see him at the bowl..lucky girl! Love that place! Saw the Who there, and Coldplay..

I am going to see him on Sept 23 in Bristow, VA at the Nissan Pavilion.. Got lawn seats so it should be a great show!
Old 06-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

I just got The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, what an awesome album

Does he play songs from that album often?
Pros & Cons is great. Probably my favourite Roger Waters solo album, though Amused To Death comes very close. And no, he doesn't play songs from that album anymore. Roger's voice isn't quite what it used to be...all that screaming on stage between 77-85 didn't do him any favours at all. No man could pull off that kind of singing in his 60s. All the cigarettes and booze haven't done him any favours either.

But the Pros & Cons tour was fabulous. He played the whole album. Unfortunately, I think it's the tour that did his voice in. Here's some links for you from 18 July, 1984:

4:37 AM (Arabs With Knives And West German Skies
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=28A2341C4762DF95
That extra laughing is brilliant. And the alarm at the beginning gives the Zooropa beeping a run for its money. That should have been on the album.

5:01 AM (The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking, Part 10)
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B5E24950528B727F
Better and longer than the album version.

In The Flesh
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=AF7C2B9D7BA79A7C
See what I mean about the screaming? This is better than any live Pink Floyd version.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #58
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Thank you

you pretty much nailed my favorite Pros and Cons songs and 3rd fave Wall song

so extra coolness points for you.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

GibsonGirl would you happen to have any live version of "set the controls for the heart of the sun"
either from Pink Floyd or when Roger was touring solo? If you do can you please upload it?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

No, Doyle Bramhall II is not coming back for this one (thank God.) Snowy White and Jon Carin are still on board though. Doyle has been replaced with Dave Kilminster, who is awesome.

But man oh man, people, check out these pictures! http://www.pinkfloydz.com/roger2006/index2june.htm
Thanks -great pics - looks like we're in for a real treat!

I'll have to try and listen to Dave Kilminster beforehand so I know what to expect.

ETA: I found some youtube links here from this tour :

http://www.davekilminster.com/News.htm

Youtube seems to have around 15 RW videos from this tour - including Sheep.

Tags
pink floyd, roger waters